Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (RBFin)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-29-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
Greetings,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use an older boat like this (URL below) and set it up for wake surfing. With water ballast can I get a good wave? Add trim tabs? Or do you just end up with a mediocre result.

Just wondering... thanks!

-Richard

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=35691...=surf&ad_cid=3
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-29-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
You could probably get a kid surfing but if you are anywhere 190lbs or over I'm sure you'd never be able to really make it work well at all. The old boats had quite flat hulls which don't lend themselves well to produce a wave. Also, with the low freeboard you can't weight the boat down that much.
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-29-2015, 9:33 AM Reply   
The old ski natiques will produce a surfable wake. Trouble is that they have to be absolutely slammed to accomplish it. The rub rail on the surf side will need to be at the water level and the wake will never match what newer boats will do.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-29-2015, 9:35 AM Reply   
Don't underestimate an inboard with the right board. We used to surf behind ski boats. We used to surf both sides of a buddies master craft 210 at the same time. You might have to rider a real surfboard, and god forbid, you might have to pump.
Old     (RBFin)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-29-2015, 12:37 PM Reply   
OK, I much appreciate the experienced comments. I think I'll keep looking for a wake boat I can afford. Any thoughts on older-ish boats that would do the job? It will be end of season here in Utah soon, hoping maybe to find a good deal on an older boat. Any brands in particular that come to mind?

Thanks!

-Richard
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-30-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
I use a '93 Sanger DXII as my surf chariot. It does pretty decent, but actually has quite a pronounced "v" shape to the hull.

Link to my setup (has pictures of the wake):

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803698

As with most older ski boats, it has to be slammed with ballast, but besides dunking the bow a little bit (I love closed bow boats FYI, and thank Odin the DXII is closed bow), we have not had issues with water coming in.
Old     (RBFin)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-30-2015, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quinton, thanks for the detailed info. Really interesting setup you have there, and it does look like a nice wave.
Old     (rplogue7)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-31-2015, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurex View Post
I use a '93 Sanger DXII as my surf chariot. It does pretty decent, but actually has quite a pronounced "v" shape to the hull.

Link to my setup (has pictures of the wake):

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803698

As with most older ski boats, it has to be slammed with ballast, but besides dunking the bow a little bit (I love closed bow boats FYI, and thank Odin the DXII is closed bow), we have not had issues with water coming in.
That thing is kickin dude!
Old     (Aurex)      Join Date: Aug 2014       07-31-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rplogue7 View Post
That thing is kickin dude!
Thank you for the compliment. The wake gets the job done.

A few other things that I thought about.....

When the lake is rough you can't run as much ballast, moslty due to concerns with water coming over the side of the boat. the picture below will illustrate why, it was on a very calm day....

The goofy side is way better than the regular side. Don't get me wrong, I can surf both sides no problem (ropeless), and we have had one guy on each side of the wake a few times, ropeless as well. I am working on something to fix the regular side. The biggest issue with the regular side is that the top of the wake is washy/mushy. Weight to the front seems to help. See my last comment.....which should help.

When we switch sides, we only shift a 350 lbs bag to the surf side, so we are pretty evenly weighted.

With the weight that we run, and the way the boat is propped, we can easily run wakeboard speeds and cross the lake without having to unballast.

I built some boxes to hold the 350 lbs sacs and to give some solid footing to navigate the boat since it is in effect one large fat sac, it also provides a lot of storage when not sac'd out......

I am working on a surf system now and hoping to have it on before the end of the year and I will be updating my DXII surf setup thread.

Last edited by Aurex; 07-31-2015 at 6:47 AM. Reason: added info/pics