Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
This thing looks pretty cool! $499 if you preorder. Looks like it would work great for wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, etc.
https://www.lily.camera/
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-13-2015, 10:11 AM Reply   
The top speed is pushing it for it's ability to keep up with a wakeboarder. Great deal for a waterproof drone that follows though.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-13-2015, 11:06 AM Reply   
Wow, looks very interesting. Don't like the 20 min run time and 2hr recharge though. Would be nice to swap batteries but I understand the need for waterproofing.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
This thing would suit me perfectly - 20 minute ride time followed by a 2 hour recovery time. I wonder if constantly flying close to its 25 mph max would reduce its reliability, and whether it would actually fly for 20 minutes near its max.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
I was wondering that too. I also wonder if you are going 23-25 mph, if you could somehow lose it? What does it do when it can't keep up with you?
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       05-13-2015, 11:51 AM Reply   
This is a pretty cool idea. If you read the FAQ on their website, it answers a lot of your questions.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
READ? WHAAAAAT???? No....
https://www.lily.camera/our_faq/
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2015, 1:00 PM Reply   
I'm really surprised it doesn't have obstacle avoidance. Everyone who gets hits by one while riding up a chairlift will have a really nice lawsuit against the manufacturer and the user.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       05-13-2015, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
I'm really surprised it doesn't have obstacle avoidance. Everyone who gets hits by one while riding up a chairlift will have a really nice lawsuit against the manufacturer and the user.
I'm pretty sure most ski resorts will outlaw these things if they haven't already.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-13-2015, 1:47 PM Reply   
I would wait for version 2.0 to come out.
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       05-13-2015, 8:18 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about it, at that price point, it is hard to beat.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2015, 10:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
This thing would suit me perfectly - 20 minute ride time followed by a 2 hour recovery time. I wonder if constantly flying close to its 25 mph max would reduce its reliability, and whether it would actually fly for 20 minutes near its max.
How do you figure that Lily lasts 20 minutes? What constitutes normal usage?

This is at an average speed of 15mph. Flight time will vary between 18 minutes and 22 minutes, depending on how you use it.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       05-13-2015, 11:13 PM Reply   
I agree that It would be hard to pass up at $499. I wonder though, if you can get it to land close to a spot that you want it too (example of a boat). I mean, I guess since its waterproof it doesn't matter too much, but I am just curious on how much control you have landing it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-14-2015, 1:04 PM Reply   
Just pre-ordered one! Amazing cant wait to start playing with it!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-14-2015, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
Just pre-ordered one! Amazing cant wait to start playing with it!
You should send them some riding shots. I bet you'd have one well before the scheduled release date in exchange for some video they could include in their advertising.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       05-17-2015, 10:11 AM Reply   
But all in all this is so cheap for what your are actually getting (if you pre sale buy it). Even if it doesn't fit your needs perfect you could probably end up selling it for more hahaha
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-18-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
Great deal if it works as stated. I didnt like the idea of paying $499 now to receive it ( Hopefully) 8-9 months later. If it was a purchase through a big name company I wouldn't sweat it to much, but for a startup company it seems a little sketchy.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Great deal if it works as stated. I didnt like the idea of paying $499 now to receive it ( Hopefully) 8-9 months later. If it was a purchase through a big name company I wouldn't sweat it to much, but for a startup company it seems a little sketchy.
That's what I was thinking too. My buddy did a similar deal with an electric mountain bike (weird, I know) and about a month after giving them his money he started seeing reports that the company was fake and it was a scam. He of course felt sick to his stomach after reading all of that and just wrote it off and then they sent him an email with reviews from major news corporations and such and all is actually good. It's a $500 gamble.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-18-2015, 7:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
You should send them some riding shots. I bet you'd have one well before the scheduled release date in exchange for some video they could include in their advertising.
Funny so say that because I have already been working that!
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-21-2015, 9:44 AM Reply   
pretty stinking cool