Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
I mounted and hooked up Wet Sounds Pro 80s on my 210 last night. Using the stock 500.4 Polk amp bridged so each speaker is getting 250 watts RMS.

This is the first time I have ever heard Wet Sounds and I am impressed. These things are INSANELY loud, yet stay clear and crisp at the same time. They are a little on the bright side but I expected that from a single pair of Pro 80s.

My only issue with these speakers is how low they hang on the tower. 13" is quite a lot so I don't really have the option to mount in the middle because it would leave me no headroom, which is too bad because I would love to have a pair of MB-8s to balance these out.

I know they offer the double up but I like all the speakers to match so that isn't an option for me. I also had a Pro 485 for the 3-some but sold it because I didn't want anything that large on my tower.

Tim, if you read this. Can you make me a pair of MB-6? haha. I could swap my 80s for 60s and probably be able to handle four speakers.

Upload
Upload
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
One more question for you guys that have the newer clamps. I had to mix and match inserts to get these to fit. It's pretty tight so I don't see it being a problem? 2 1/4" wouldn't quite fit and 2 1/2" was slightly too big. I used one of each. I think the Nautique tower is 2 3/8". It would be nice if they made that size insert in the future.

(Message edited by aarond0083 on March 27, 2009)
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-27-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
Looks great,

No problem on the inserts. You have to do that with certain towers, so no worries. Also, already re tooled new inserts so they fit even better.

No plans for a MB-6. Just cannot get the amount of mid bass out of such a small cone area. So best thing would be 2 pairs of PRO 60's if you want 4 and keep the room.

But it looks like you could add a pair of MB-8 on the outsides where is curves and use the swivel clamp. Might get all 4 up there and still have headroom

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
I have the same problem with my Pro 80s that I just installed on my 06 Mastercraft tower. I was actually going to call you guys in the next few days.

So the best solution is to mate different inserts until you get the fit you are after? Thanks for the help.
Old     (smith86)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
looks good aaron,
im pretty jealous over the garage.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-27-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Adam,

Yes, the best thing to do is to mix and match. Once installed you will never know one way or another. but this helps get them a bit tighter.

We have since re designed the inserts all the way around and we developed a hybrid that is 2 layers. Harder and softer layers in one insert so you get more bite and some compression and the sizes fit more towers without having to mate the different ones. But the ones ya'll have are fine and mix and match the different ones is the easiest way to get them nice and tight.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
+1 on the new inserts. They are the best I have ever seen by far. Very tight and no slip fit at all.

Tim, I tried putting my Pro 80s wider when I first started. They really get in the way of my spinner racks when I take them down the curve.

I may mess with it some more. I would love to hear what a pair of MB-8s would sound like with these Pro 80s. I don't need it any louder so I don't think I would do four 60s, just trying to improve dynamics and SQ.

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2009, 11:20 AM Reply   
So should I get the new inserts or just stick with these old ones and mismatch them?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
I had to mismatch the new ones. I used a 2 1/4 on one side and 2 1/2 on the other.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-27-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
looks good Aaron! are you direct to those from the amp, or are you using the 420 or another EQ?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-27-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Nice. I just installed my Pro 80s, Syn2 and WS-420 and I am absolutely impressed. I did have to modify my bimini arms since the speakers poked through when the bimini was deployed. Simple job though, just shaved 1 1/2 inches off of the rear bimini arms.

The clamps are nice since there is no slip. Also my tower clamps fit perfect but it could be because I own a Tige.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Amp straight to speakers right now. No EQ.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
You would be surprised how sweet a set of 60's in the middle flanked by the MB-8's will look.

Move the racks down a little also.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
Hey Tim: I had a complete Wetsounds system installed at a local custom stereo shop. I have the 3 some on the rack, 4 xs-650 in the boat, a 10" sub, and the ws-420, also 2 sync6 amps. My question is I have a hiss through the tower speakers only. They told me that is because the ws-420 is sending a low voltage signal, they can fix by adjusting/lowering the output of the amp. Is this the correct procedure or are they full of hot air. Thanks for the advice. Our boat is actually on the Wetsounds web page. It is a 2005 Sea Ray 220 select red. Thanks again Don C. You can e-mail me directly if you like at redsea300@comcast.net

(Message edited by ktm525 on March 27, 2009)
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
where is kerr lake? does it have a big wakeboard scene?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-27-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Kerr Lake is right off of I-85 near the NC/VA border. I am pretty sure it is the largest lake in NC. I wouldn't say the wakeboarder scene is big but the lake is so large I can't speak for all of it, just the places we ride. It has a lot of coves with a lot of butter, even on weekends. Also, very clean lake. Kerr Lake feeds Lake Gaston.

Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
I'm playing with the same issues re: wanting a Pro80+MB8 or Pro60+MB8. I haven't decided which way to go, but started playing around with hanging the speakers on the tower. Here's a possible option for P80+MB8. The MB8 interferes a bit with the bindings when you swivel the board rack, but a combination of moving the rack down slightly and moving the P80 in slightly to hang the MB8 more vertically will solve that problem. Or, of course, you could just not use the swivel feature since the racks are easily accessible in their fixed position.
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
hmmm....I'm having problems posting the photos...I'll have to try again later. Or send me a pm with your email and I'll send you the photos...
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-28-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
here we go...the photos aren't the best, but it's all I've got on my computer. Upload
Upload
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-28-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
Don,

The hiss you hear is called "gain hiss" It happens when the amps gains are set too high or not at unity. I think what they were trying to say is this happens when a line driver like the WS-420 is sending a High voltage signal to the amps and the amp gains are up too high.

When you have a lot of voltage coming into the amps, you will not need the amp gains up very much. A gain is used to adjust the input signal. Finding a unity setting is the key. Having the gain up higher will not make the amp put out more power. It just opens up the input stage to noise and also leaves you with a system that cannot be used to it's fullest. because you lose control over the volume structure.

It is like driving a dragster on ice. You have a ton of power but no control. I would bet that you cannot turn your radio up to 3/4 or more without the system losing control.

You want to gain control over the system. Check out the WS-420 page on our site on setting up the gains using the WS-420. it gives a step by step on how to set the system up. If this is followed, you should be able to turn the radio up to 3/4 of max and max the 420 volume and get a ton of volume with no distortion. You will also get rid of any hiss or noise.

It can also happen if you have other things going on. Like the radio is not set to flat. Or using an ipod or mp3 player with treble boost on.

Make sure your radio is flat, eq is off on ipod or mp3 player and also, the WS-420 on the tower side will not need much if any boost on the mid high and high. So make sure those are not cranked up as well.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (bsmith17)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-28-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Hey Tim:
I just purchased set of Pro 60s and Pro 80s to put on my boat. I am a do-it-yourself person so I am wanting some advice about how to set this system up. What amplifier setup would be best for this tower system?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Decided to swap out the 80s for 60s to gain a little more head room.

That will also give me the option to potentially get another pair and still have room in the middle of my tower.

I really wish you WS made a MB-6 so mid bass could be added without having two different sized speakers.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-31-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
Reading Tim's replies is like listening to a Nuclear Physicist discuss Quantum Atomic Propulsion Properties. I have no clue WTF they are saying, but believe every word!

Looks great, nice setup.