Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Anybody have a site reserved for these days?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-10-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
i thought orroville was closed due to low water??
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Well, that would disrupt the plans......I had not heard that, but seems timely that I check that out.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
Oroville is still open at this time. However, it is very low. Don't think it will be closed by the dates that you want to rent the floating tent sites. Have you called them yet about the floating sites to see if they are going to be open?
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
just got off the phone with someone there. They kind of laughed at the question "are you closed". They said the water is low but they are far from closed. She thought lime saddle side might be launching off dirt. Bidwell and Spillway are launching off paved ramps still and at least spillway will be for some time. She said you still need a boat to get to the floaters.....cannot hike to them...yet. She said the floaters will be open for some time yet.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
The ramps at Oroville are open and the lake will make it through until mid to late July. The lowest ramps are at 700’ elevation and the lake is about 55-56’ above that mark. The lake on average lowers approximately 1’ a day and about .05’ on the weekends. So short answer yes, they will be accessible. The question I have for the reservation system is if I have them rented in say September and I can’t launch my boat, are they going to refund my money? Are they also going to try to take the $7.50 nonrefundable reservation fee as well?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-10-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Um yeah. We have a campsite reserved (non floating) on Labor Day. It doesn't look good.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
I'd call reserveramerica and see what they say, I can also without a doubt assume you the launch ramps will be closed late July or early August. I don't know if dirt launching will be avaliable or not.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-10-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
Malibudude-
A bit off the subject, but do you know how that armada of house boats near the marina handles the low water? Do they have to start pulling them out, or do they just keep moving them?
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-10-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
They keep moving them, lastest rumor is that they will be moving them closer to the dam.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-10-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
Mdude is wrong Oroville is closed, you should go to another lake.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-11-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Steve,

They move the Bidwell Marina houseboats to the marina, as they once years ago actually had a spillway marina.

Tim,

Just because you want the lake to yourself to slalom, doesn't justify spreading bad info.... What's really happening is due to the low water levels and potential damage to the houseboats and shoreline wakeboarding enhancement devices have been banned..... :-)
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-12-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Good thing I removed all my tanks and put in two thousand pounds of lead under the floorline.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-12-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Looks like I will need to line my floor with lead also.....

I have heard a couple of different things about the floaters. When you make the reservation, it's by site #. They also say specific site location will be provided at check in since they move them. Then I heard they assign the actual site when you arrive for check in, which may be different than what was reserved. Anybody with experience that can give me the straight scoop?

7 months ago when the reservation window opened for June, myself and 2 buddies went after some sites. We were each on line, each on the phone with reserveamerica and we had a 3-way con call going so we knew what each was doing. When the dust settled at 8:03....we had 3 sites in opposite corners of the lake. The above questions are of interest because we would like to get (3) sites closer together.
Old     (wakegrl2109)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-15-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
I was just there today. Oroville is not closed and it wont be for awhile its up alot from the end of last year and it never closed last year. Just keep a look out for underwater obstacles. There were lots of boats out there.
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       06-15-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
The lake is actually already 17 feet lower (751ft) than it was last August (768ft). Lime Saddle did close last year and Bidwell was technically open but it was a mud bog. If i'm not mistaken, they close down lime Saddle when the lake reaches 704 ft. Bidwell is not far behind that. Currently, the lake is dropping about a foot a day. Unless something changes in the control of the outflow..well, do the math. We try to ride year round and were shut down for most of December and January.

Heres a link to data for Oroville
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?ORO