Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (psherer)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-12-2016, 6:25 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 X-Star with a set of cans - Wake Designz - they had MB Quartz speakers in them and I am wanting to replace them. I am having the cans powder-coated black is the main reason to change things up.

My question is: what speakers do you recommend ?

I have 2 speakers per can, 1 - 6.5" & 1 - 4" or 4.5"

I can't seem to find any 4" or 4.5" speakers other than Kicker, and I would prefer a better brand, but may have to go with Kicker for the smaller speaker and JL or Wetsounds for the bigger?

All comments and recommendations are appreciated
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-12-2016, 7:08 AM Reply   
My suggestion would be save the money on powder coating them, sell them on craigslist and buy a set of Wetsounds Rev8s or Rev10s
Old     (psherer)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-12-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
thanks, the powder coating is free, only reason I am doing it.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-12-2016, 8:16 PM Reply   
You can most likely drop bullet lines/krypt audio 6.5 HLCD's in your cans for the most put of your 6.5 cans.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-13-2016, 10:07 AM Reply   
What swatguy said. Do that and then maybe put some led lights or something in the 4" can. Or see if you can just remove the 4" can.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-14-2016, 3:03 PM Reply   
Option 1 - remove and toss the 4" can
Option 2 - wire the 4" can separately for interior low volume use only.

for 6.5" speakers the WS-650 is a good option (that's what they use for the surf systems), JL, Bullet, or others are also viable. I would not go with any of the current car based speakers for a single pair of 6.5's even if you did decide to keep those 4" smokers hooked up.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       12-15-2016, 10:42 AM Reply   
Not seeing how a 4 or 4.5" coaxial speaker can help you on the tower. Can't keep pace with a 6.5" (which is already small). A waste of valuable power.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-15-2016, 6:45 PM Reply   
Saw some brand new rev 10s with fixed mount clamps for sale on this ATV page I'm part of, $800 for the pair...Much better option IMO.