Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-27-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
I know, it's a crazy idea. But have any of you tried it? I mean seriously--up the boat speed and try to run a slalom course and see how many bouys you can get?

I started snowboarding before I started wakeboarding (by a couple years anyway). So I've been doing them both since the late 90's. On my snowboard, I LOVE getting a good speed run and carving turns. Yet it seems that wakeboarding is way more analogous to park snowboard riding than to 'all mountain' snowboarding and 'freeriding' or even snowboard slalom/GS.

I have most certainly run an Alpine Slalom race course on my snowboard. So why not see if I could run a slalom water ski course on my wakeboard? I mean, more speed and hard carves could actually be fun as a change of pace...

So, has anyone done it? What was it like?

Last edited by trayson; 10-27-2014 at 2:14 PM.
Old     (Dman726749)      Join Date: May 2012       10-27-2014, 2:18 PM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/all...championships/
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-27-2014, 3:09 PM Reply   
I've done it at Wakeboard speeds. 22 to 23 mph. I don't think I could handle 36 mph.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-27-2014, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
I've done it at Wakeboard speeds. 22 to 23 mph. I don't think I could handle 36 mph.
Well, I only slalom at about 28mph and I just freeski, so I wonder what wakeboarding would be like at 28.

I did watch that video and the yank from the slack of the turn looked pretty harsh!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-27-2014, 4:18 PM Reply   
The problem with wakeboarding at slalom speeds is the crash. The ski has a smaller surface area and it comes off when you crash. The wakeboard just rips your ankles off and puts you in the hospital.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-27-2014, 5:44 PM Reply   
If you make it around 2 ball at 28 I'll buy you a case of beer, haha.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-27-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
I used to work at a ski school and there was a slolam course on the wakeboard lake. We use to cruise through the guides and run the course goofing around all the time. I've ran at least 30mph on an 80ft line behind a wakeboard boat. It isn't that bad or scary.

Trick skiers used to go through the slolam course for drills and exercise all the time.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-28-2014, 7:45 AM Reply   
Oh god, now I am about to REALLY date myself. That was actually a sport in the really early days of wakeboarding, the Skurfing days. Way back when event organizers were trying to figure out what to do with wakeboarders, like really early 90's.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       10-28-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
There was one setup a few weeks ago at our local lake.....I was going to go try it but never went over. Was going to bet with the kids.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-28-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
Andy, That is before my time, but I used to watch old home recordings of the Bud Tour out at Lone Star Ski School and it was on it. It was super goofy on the thick single fins with toe straps. The crashes were pretty sweet.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-28-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post
If you make it around 2 ball at 28 I'll buy you a case of beer, haha.
I'll need to drink a few of those beers before I can decide to attempt that. They don't say, "Hold my beer" for nothing.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       10-28-2014, 7:50 PM Reply   
Zane's out the boot crash was hysterical. Gotta try ripping it like that
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-28-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
You bet! I used to work at a ski/wakeboard camp so we'd do the sideways slalom a few times a year. I ran 24mph at 15 off, I think my PB is 2 or 3 at 26mph (15 off).
Attached Images

Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       10-30-2014, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thank God there's no water equivalent for moguls. Those are the dumbest things ever. It would be like slalom skiing on chop. Not just a little rough water, but white-capping, f*ck this *****, I can't even surf in it kind of chop.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-30-2014, 4:29 PM Reply   
All the time. I maintain our lake's slalom course and only use it early weekday mornings for slalom. The rest of the time we wakeboard, barefoot and whatever's fun. Try running a course on combo skis too! Fun as heck, start at 20 and move up in 1mph increments. Great in chopped up afternoons after a few beverages.
Old     (Tommy)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-10-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
At the first tournaments we had Wakeboard slalom. We even had an event called Tommy's Slalom that you ran the course but did tricks across the wake between balls. 20 mph. It was fun but the crashes were brutal and not worth the price you paid. Please visit Wakeboarding Hall of Fame on FB if you can. Much or this is being logged and will be available on our website soon. God bless.
Tommy Phillips
Wakeboarding Hall of Fame.