Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-30-2014, 4:13 AM Reply   
Don't like it. Still think the Supra dash is the best looking one out there.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2014, 5:05 AM Reply   
sure is a bunch of cryin about a stupid dash. Hell cause we all know that the dash is the most imprtant thing about buying a boat. You guys have got t be kidding me about all this dash crap. Show me a good wave and i could care less what the dash looks like.
Old     (jkaser)      Join Date: Feb 2014       07-30-2014, 5:06 AM Reply   
I struggle with a touch screen only interface. Most cars have volume controls, buttons for cruise control, etc. plus a touch screen. That is what I like the Supra set-up vs. a screen only set-up. Once I shut off my engine I can use the toggle switches to turn off the heater, turn on lights, turn the blower on before start-up, start filling ballast, etc. All this without turning on the Vision system and flipping through screens. I do like the Vision system while driving but I still like the toggles to turn off the stereo, adjust seat height, etc. I know everyone is different but I think a combination makes sense.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-30-2014, 5:42 AM Reply   
Tesla Model S- 2013 Motor Tend Car of the year= Inspiration for malibu's design??
Attached Images

Old     (Rusty)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-30-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
Maybe if the Tesla had a huge square hood built into the drivers sight-line instead of the IPad built into the console. Not to mention, a Tesla's dash will probably never have any amount of water, dew, humidity etc, I just don't see a full touchscreen system being a lasting product in a boat that does have those factors. Supra got it right with having the screen but also have toggles just in case it has issues, not to mention they look cool. Look at a Lamborghini dash, toggles everywhere along with a touchscreen.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       07-30-2014, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
Feel bad for the poor guy 6 years from now who buys these boats that have analog nothing. I mean dont get me wrong, it is really nice and cool and all that but how reliable are these gonna be down the road
Me too but the "Big 3" haven't had real analog gauges in 15 years. Even my 2000 MariStar had what appeared to be analog gauges but the are in fact pseudo digital stepping motors that are controlled by a computer (The Medallion MDC) via a data bus. I know MasterCraft and Malibu used this same system for the better part of the last decade. I think Correct Craft used the Medallion system at some point too and they obviously had those awful LCD gauges in the early 2000s. Reliability of those systems sucked but I guess at least the dashes were fairly standardized so you have the option of swapping in real analog gauges.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-02-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
Who cares if you can't diagnose problems with a touch screen. If it's got a problem just take in to the dealer and let them deal with it. Problem solved. Takes way to much time trying to work on these new boats. Maybe if you can't afford to get someone else to fix your shat... you probably shouldn't of been able to buy the boat in the first place... Hence the 20 year mortgage on the boats now. JM2C
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-02-2014, 8:34 AM Reply   
The new digital interiors are absolutely sick.... in cars and boats.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-02-2014, 8:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockballer View Post
Who cares if you can't diagnose problems with a touch screen. If it's got a problem just take in to the dealer and let them deal with it. Problem solved. Takes way to much time trying to work on these new boats. Maybe if you can't afford to get someone else to fix your shat... you probably shouldn't of been able to buy the boat in the first place... Hence the 20 year mortgage on the boats now. JM2C
There are plenty of cases where it's not "problem solved". I've seen lots of threads where people lose the use of their boat for a better part of a season and spend thousands while a clueless dealer throws extremely expensive parts at the problem.

Many people, myself included, buy boats as a hobby of which DIY maintenance, repairs and modifications are a big part of the fun. It's those people that will be burned by these systems in 4-6 years when they buy a used one and parts are impossible to troubleshoot accurately even by supposed qualified individuals and are made up of crazy expensive and/or discontinued parts.

I don't think there are many people that could effectively argue that any of these computerized dash systems add any mentionable value to the experience on the boat. Any value that you might be able to scrape together I'd rather see that money spent by the manufacturer on a better engine, better overall fit and finish/quality control, better audio gear, etc. stuff that will have real value in a few years instead of a goofy computer/touch screen that will look dated and likely not work. If they want to offer advanced macro like functionality have an optional module that talks to a tablet or phone that offers trim tab, speed control, rider specific presets and what not.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-02-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
Not to sure about malibu but my centurion came with a 5 yr warranty and I surr the hell won't be owning it after its up. Just like the rest of my vehicles. I have an old mustang in my garage if I want to work on something. Heck don't even havr time to work on that anymore. IIRC malibu only offers a 1 yr warranty. With all these new electronics I wouldn't be buying one without atleast a 5 yr on it. Sure looks sexy though. And if you love working on boats and have the time... it sounds like a hobby. An expensive one though.... 😑
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-04-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
^ With MC going to a 5 year warranty, and now Centurion as well, I wouldn't be surprised if the others followed soon.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       08-04-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
^ With MC going to a 5 year warranty, and now Centurion as well, I wouldn't be surprised if the others followed soon.
I think Centurion had the 5-year warranty first, with MC adding afterwards...
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-04-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzalum View Post
I think Centurion had the 5-year warranty first, with MC adding afterwards...
Ah. I remembered MC doing it early last summer, and I didn't hear about centurion's 5 year till sometime last fall. Either way, it's certainly a nice bonus.
Old     (tjklein)      Join Date: Jun 2014       08-04-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
My Malibu has a 3 year warranty and as others have said...at 3 years I'm probably trading it. With a supercharger and all the electronics it can get dicey.

My wedge got stuck this weekend (somewhat common for Malibu owners) and thankfully it was at the end of the day otherwise it would be a real bummer. Power Wedge 2 should be better with only 1 actuator though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I am with the standard gauge/switch people. Unless I was getting a new boat every few years I would be worried. Are these new boats with no switches/gauges basically throw away boats after 10 years when the dealers/manufacturers quit carrying the parts? I sure as hell hope not. I also wonder if the newer, really high output engines are going to prove less reliable in the long run and basically need complete overhauls or replacements after 500-1000 hours. Imagine buying a 10 year old G23 or Xstar and having to replace a 25k engine and have someone come in and completely redesign the dash/wiring harness to run standard gauges and switches. I wonder if resale on these upper end luxury boats will be as terrible as luxury cars. Crap, you can buy a 10 year old Mercedes or BMW that cost 100k new for like 10k. I assume that is because no one that is in that used price range could afford to fix the stuff when it goes bad. Throw away society I guess though.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2014, 3:23 PM Reply   
Standard Gauges? You can't get the "Analog" and digital controlled Gauges after 7-8 years.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-04-2014, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCent View Post
Standard Gauges? You can't get the "Analog" and digital controlled Gauges after 7-8 years.
Guess what though. You can replace them with round one's that will work. You don't even how to rebuild your entire dash to do so.