Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-26-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
Boat needs a new headunit.... needs to be iphone AND droid compatible... need to be able to use a remote. I like the idea of a wireless remote but it needs to work well. If wireless doesn't work I would like to put a wired remote on the dash and possibly on the transom. I would also like the best sound quality I can afford.. that means not going too crazy on cost here. I plan on selling the boat towards the end of the year/beginning of next year.

I was pretty much committed to buy a Clarion m303 with MF1 remote but then there were some good some bad reviews so I thought I would get the opinion from you guys
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-26-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
would love the usb port to be on the front if possible
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-26-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
There aren't a lot of choices out there. Clarion is pretty common and has lots of accessories/features like you have mentioned. I wouldn't use their amps or speakers but I have their head unit and it's fine.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-26-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
i already have kicker amps, tower speakers, and coaxials.... its just time i got a headunit that made it easier for me as the driver to control... right now the girls have the controls in the glove box and well lets just say its hard to talk with a boarder
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-26-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
I installed an M303 last week in a customers boat. It worked great, bluetooth functionality was good, overall I was impressed for the price point.

I have an M502 in my Can Am Commander with an MW1 wired remote. All of this works well, and it's been in there since August. The remote has been pressure washed, the radio has been around moisture, no problems. The 502 is essentially the 303 without in-dash CD. Both can use the same remotes.

The MW1 has a display, and ipod can be controlled through the remote. I plug in an extra ipod in the glovebox to the USB with an OEM ipod cable. iPod charges, and again can be controlled through the head unit or remote.

Alpine also has nice head units and remotes, except for the remotes are wireless and require initial programming. There is also a delay in the function when the button is pressed. 1 thing is that most people think they're wireless, but you still have to run 12V/ground to each remote. They're also a LOT more expensive then the Clarions.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-27-2013, 12:54 AM Reply   
I had the Alpine for a while but the delay in their remotes drove me and my wife nuts so I put back in my clarion M475. The real nice thing about the Alpine unit tho was it had 4v pre outs instead of the standard 2v. You won't fund that in many marine head units at all. For my system it def added a much better sound quality because I had some long RCA runs. Even with my Wetsounds 420eq. Also alpine has a great floaty keychain remote that works from the water if that interests you.

Sorry to hijack

Anyone know where to find the converter cable that converts the M303 8 pin remote port to the older 6 pin? Everywhere I have looked has been sold out.

I have 3 of the old original 2 inch remotes in my 2000 XStar and if I swap to an upgrade I am left with 3 useless remotes and/or a few empty holes.

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-27-2013 at 1:00 AM.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
I installed an M303 last week in a customers boat. It worked great, bluetooth functionality was good, overall I was impressed for the price point.

I have an M502 in my Can Am Commander with an MW1 wired remote. All of this works well, and it's been in there since August. The remote has been pressure washed, the radio has been around moisture, no problems. The 502 is essentially the 303 without in-dash CD. Both can use the same remotes.

The MW1 has a display, and ipod can be controlled through the remote. I plug in an extra ipod in the glovebox to the USB with an OEM ipod cable. iPod charges, and again can be controlled through the head unit or remote.

Alpine also has nice head units and remotes, except for the remotes are wireless and require initial programming. There is also a delay in the function when the button is pressed. 1 thing is that most people think they're wireless, but you still have to run 12V/ground to each remote. They're also a LOT more expensive then the Clarions.

isn't the usb plug in for the m303 on the back of the head unit?? How do you plug the Ipod in at the glove box when the cable comes from the back?
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2013, 6:20 AM Reply   
also does the MW1 remote fit in say one of the tach holes?
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-27-2013, 6:58 AM Reply   
We used Clarion and Sony.. Both are good...

But the hot ticket is to buy a bluetooth receiver unit ($25), hook it into your 3.5in aux in jack.. And you have Bluetooth Phone, Mp3, or Ipod control... Works excellent... I hate wires......
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
The real nice thing about the Alpine unit tho was it had 4v preouts instead of the standard 2v.
That is incorrect. The Alpine head units are all 2V unless you add the PXA-H100 Imprint sound processor, which then makes them 4V. I just ordered one for my iDA-X100M head unit, they can be had new for $115 shipped and around $80-90 used.

I find the remote delay for the Alpines to be pretty slight and has never been an issue for me, my wife, or anyone else that has used it. Alpines are not Android compatiable unless you are just running it through Bluetooth (which, as Alpine LOVES to do, requires another add-on device, the KCE-400BT).
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-27-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
Nitrous.

The CDA 9886M model from Alpine is def 4v's on the pre amps. It was one of the big reasons I opted for it . Besides the delay I couldn't find a really good spot for their ginormous remote. I had to pull the speedo and it made getting to it awkward. Just spoiled and used to that clarion right at my fingertips while my hand is on the shifter I guess.

Salt/Fog (ASTM B117) Certified
UV(ASTM G154/D4329) Certified
BioLite high-definition display
Blue Illumination
Rotary Encoder volume control
Spanish language compatible
Remote Control ready
24-Bit DSP with integrated DAC and 8x Oversampling
18W RMS/ 50W MAX x 4
Power Pack Ready – upgrade to full 45Wx4 RMS (coming soon)
3 Preouts (4 Volts)
IMPRINT PXA-H100 ready with Dual Input Capability (available March 08)
iPod Control
SAT Radio ready
HD Radio Ready with Multicasting
Ready for Bluetooth® wireless technology
Ready for USB mass storage devices
Ai-NET bus system allows connection to HD Radio w/Multicasting, Satellite Radio, CD Changer, and Aux Input (using the KCA-121B)

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-27-2013 at 8:23 AM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-27-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
Double post sorry

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-27-2013 at 8:38 AM.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
the thing I worry about bluetooth is running the battery down on my cell... doesn't bluetooth suck a lot of juice? granted yes I have a 12v plug to charge... i guess I am just new to the whole bluetooth thing... I don't use it on my droid
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2013, 11:53 AM Reply   
i am leaning towards the Clarion m303 or maybe m309 (front Aux) with MF1 remote.... I guess there just isn't a perfect HU
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-27-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
I do not know about all the Alpine mobile (car) head-units, but I can confirm that the Alpine Marine 9886M and 118M units are 4V outputs.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-27-2013, 4:32 PM Reply   
Pete, you can find a mountable USB connector that has a waterproof cover. All it does is plugs into the USB, then you drill a hole in the fiberglass and mount it. That will allow you to plug the USB cable directly into it. Otherwise, it hangs off teh back of the radio, and you should have access there to leave the cable hanging down. I'll find one and post a link later.

9886M has 4V, 100M does not.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-27-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Clarion CCA-USB: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...655104841.html

Old     (Trpntj)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-27-2013, 8:35 PM Reply   
Just throwing it out there, speakers/amp are not the greatest, but their HU's are becoming very popular. More for yacht industry, but with a NMEA backbone, it makes remote connections easy and the HU's are designed for ipods. The 600 unit is cheaper with the non color display.

http://www.fusionelectronics.com/con...sh_Low_Res.pdf
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-28-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Nitrous.

The CDA 9886M model from Alpine is def 4v's on the pre amps.
You are right, looks like it is their only marine unit that is 4V without the Imprint box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
I do not know about all the Alpine mobile (car) head-units, but I can confirm that the Alpine Marine 9886M and 118M units are 4V outputs.
118M is 2V unless you have the Imprint box:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-118m/Specs
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       03-28-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
the 9886m is now discontinued, so If you want one, buy it now!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2013, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
You are right, looks like it is their only marine unit that is 4V without the Imprint box.

118M is 2V unless you have the Imprint box:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-118m/Specs
Well, I was at least 50% accurate, I guess I could be a weather man
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-28-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
the 9886m is now discontinued, so If you want one, buy it now
Word is, both the 9886M and the 118M have an end of life date and no word on replacement models. Based on the answer I didnt get to a question about the marine gear from an Alpine rep in their booth at the 2013 CES back in Jan, I dont think this is all the changes we will see. It was kinda like the vote of confidence the losing coach gets form management 2 days before the can him.
Old    Axis22            03-29-2013, 4:23 AM Reply   
I got the alpine 9886 you can have iPod hookup, USB, and aux. I ran a splitter off the back of radio and ran one aux next to driver wear I ran iPod cable for droid phones then ran the other aux and the USB cord over to passenger side and got a seaworthy USB aux outlet I installed
Old     (jdb11386)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-29-2013, 5:21 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried the parrot Bluetooth for the 9886. I installed it last year and never got it to work.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-29-2013, 8:07 AM Reply   
axis22 where did you get that cord/black outlet? that looks very nice.... I would be real happy with something like that
Old    Axis22            03-29-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
Amazon
Check this out on AMZN: Prospec Electronics SEA-USBMINI Seaworthy Marine MINI-2 Mini Plug for MP3 Players, iPOD and ... http://amzn.com/B001CDK400
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       03-30-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
Here's another version as well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1