Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-08-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
For all of the new cable riders out there, I'm one myself. There is one rule/tip that you should obey to get along with everyone at the park.

When you fall on a feature, swim clear immediately and then take your board off.

Last night I almost killed a guy on the transfer at Wake Nation Houston. He was at least two or three carriers in front of me, so I did not see him fall. I came flying down the trapazoid (out of view) and right on to the guys head--Thank God for helmets.

Even beyond safety, it is a matter of courtesy. There is nothing worse than taking a whole lap around the park working something out in your head to find someone bobbing right in front of a kicker or rail fumbling with their laces. Now, sometimes blocking a feature is unavoidable, but steer it clear as quickly as possible.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
Well I never swim away before taking my boots off. But if it takes you a long time to get out of your boots then yeah I agree. Two or thrre carriers is not an excessive time to get out of the way, but a lap is.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-08-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
As a new cable rider myself, I second this message. Also, I'll caution people further. During my first time on the cable a few nights ago, I rode by my buddy who had fallen and sprayed him with a nice powerslide. It was funny, but I now realize that it was bad cable etiquette and also potentially dangerous, even though I kept well clear of him. The cable operators didn't scold me for it and I'm not sure what the official policy is on this, but I'll definitely think twice about doing it again.
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-08-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
This should be a rule.
It happens way too often and really pisses me off when i have a good run going
Old     (WssLife)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-09-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
I agree very annoying when people lay in front of obstacles forever (unless they are actually hurt), for me i can get out of the way faster if i take the board off i have ronix divides and they are very easy to loosen up and pop out of, then when I am swimming away i have the ability to use my feet but if it takes you a while to get unstrapped swim away then take it off
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-09-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WssLife View Post
I agree very annoying when people lay in front of obstacles forever (unless they are actually hurt), for me i can get out of the way faster if i take the board off i have ronix divides and they are very easy to loosen up and pop out of, then when I am swimming away i have the ability to use my feet but if it takes you a while to get unstrapped swim away then take it off
This must be why my local cable uses LF Domain bindings, which have velcro straps, as rentals.
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
swim out of the way, then take your bindings off.
may not be as fast for you, but it is for the people trying to hit the obstacle
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-10-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
Rule #2: Don't ride down the middle. If you're not hitting obstacles, still cut towards/ride near them so your wake isn't hitting them right as the next rider is hitting the obstacle.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-10-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Rule #2: Don't ride down the middle. If you're not hitting obstacles, still cut towards/ride near them so your wake isn't hitting them right as the next rider is hitting the obstacle.
Wakes don't matter IMO.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
+1
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2011, 5:31 AM Reply   
I generally ride over and spray the obstacles to keep them wet when i don't hit them on that pass.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Wakes don't matter IMO.
That advice was for the people who don't think wakes matter.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-11-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
shreddiquette!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-12-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
One lap = 6 riders boned.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
I only ride cable and though sometimes a rider falling on an obstacle you want to hit right in front of you can be annoying.. You have to remember.. You had to learn too. I just use it as an opportunity to think on the fly and decide something to do on the next obstacle. When I do fall. I move out of the way as quick as possible though. Maybe next time you see the guy at the dock that fell in front of you, ask him what he was trying and try to help him. This sport is still small. Be positive. As for riding down the middle and throwing "wakes" at your obstacle. It can also be annoying. But don't let it ruin your day. Your water isn't always going to be perfect so maybe just let it help dial you in on your technique to your approach. I'm not trying to piss anyone off.. But I'll never let a fallen rider or a wakeboard ripple ruin my day.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-15-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
To not swim out of the way of an obstacle when you are perfectly capable is disrespectful to the other riders on the water and there is no logical reason not to do it if you can. It is for one thing safer for the rider in the water and common courtesy for the riders behind you. Even if you are the fastest binding taker offer on the lake, it is still going to take at least 2 maybe 3 riders to get your bindings off and then swim out of the way.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-15-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
I agree with you Kyle.. Its super rude to just sit there. My point was only made to justify the reason they fall in the first place.. Sry if what I said was taken out of context or not worded correctly. You should move out as quick as possible. But everyone falls.
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-16-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
here is a valuable link http://http://www.cablewakeboard.com/pages/first_trip/
Old     (wake2blake)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-16-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwrighttexas View Post
Yeah, i like this a lot: http://www.cablewakeboard.com/pages/first_trip/
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-16-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
I can't stand when people sit there and take off the bindings right under the feature. You shouldn't be blocking a feature for more than just one rider unless you're injured or have your wind knocked out. Other people's wakes can definitely affect the rider behind, whether it be messing up an ollie or bouncing out of a landing (especially on kickers) and wakeskaters make the biggest wake (or people that ride too small of a board), I can't stand following wakeskaters who ride down the middle unless they're trying flat tricks.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2011, 7:38 PM Reply   
And do not pretend you are on a slalom course carving around and shaking the cable. a cable shaker is worse than a binding taker offer or a wake chop water ruiner. Shaking the cable is how people get hurt on a rail or fall unnecessarily.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-16-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
I do second what you say Kyle..... The guys that just lay on raley edges all over the place.. with no raleys afterwards... is horrible.. We are sometimes guilty of cutting corners and stuff like that.. But its only on dead days when there is literally no one there. And Im guilty of Diego Shaw style submarine loads, its not often I do them.. But more so on a slow day also.. So. Maybe kind of guilty too... But at least we know when and when not to..
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-18-2011, 1:19 AM Reply   
throw my hat into the ring, can we just ban mono and double skiers completely please??

Especially the ones who think its awesome to go slalom around all the obstacles.. wow I have serious anger management problems when they do that