Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-10-2014, 11:00 PM Reply   
I built a custom box under the helm of my boat so that my 2 12's would fire into the boat and not have one under the passenger compartment. My question relates to box sizing. My box came out with some weird angles do to the location and thus was harder to get an exact volume. I went with sealed because i tend to like tighter bass. As far as my crummy math skills can get me, it looks like the internal volume is about 3.08 cu ft which would be 1.54 cu ft per driver. Jl recommends 1.25 cu ft per driver.. What will this do for the response. I'm sure theres less control and more excursion but should I fill in some space to get closer to spec or run it? It sounds good but I can tell the subs are moving pretty freely compared to the previous boxes. They're powered by a jx1000.1 amp and are 4ohm subs so they're seeing 450w rms each. heres the dimentions and i used 3/4" mdf if anyone has cad or can calculate better than me.
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-10-2014, 11:18 PM Reply   
heres some build pics for anyone who's curious about doing this. The end result is so much better than having one in a compartment and one under the dash. night and day difference. Building the box wasn't fun. I was having a tough time with laying it out until i used cardboard to make a template for the bottom piece. Once i did that i worked my way up. Making the angled cuts and multiples on a single piece was probably the hardest part. If you get 3 perfect and mess up the 4th cut its straight to jail. do not pass go, do not collect $200. Theres a brace between the two woofers that goes top to bottom and back about 6" its 3/4" as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by bass10after; 05-10-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-10-2014, 11:20 PM Reply   
more
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-11-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Looks great but I think the box is a little oversized. JL calls for a 1.125 cf sealed box. So 2.25 cf for two subs. If your box is 3.08cf that's .83cf to big. I would just add some 2x4 filler to take up the extra space
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-11-2014, 11:37 PM Reply   
Thanks Harold I ended up adding 2x4 filler that was .83 cut ft volume today. Way more output and much tighter bass. Its apparent jl knows what size box works for their subs and you better try and get close to those specs.