Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-31-2016, 9:12 PM Reply   
I bought a new home and would like to get my 07 malibu vlx on extreme trailer in the third garage. The widest I can get my door is 110 inches, the boat on trailer is ~102.5 wide. The depth is 23ft and the boat is 22.6ft long without platform. How do you guys feel about this fit? Obviously it will fit, but will it be an extreme pain in the ass?

maybe get one of these:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...s.cgi?i=97906&
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-31-2016, 10:06 PM Reply   
Does the tongue of the trailer extend past the bow? If so, not going to happen. If not, it will likely be Uber close and probably too close. You are going to have a lot of fun getting that boat in and out.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-31-2016, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaadLS1 View Post
Does the tongue of the trailer extend past the bow? If so, not going to happen. If not, it will likely be Uber close and probably too close. You are going to have a lot of fun getting that boat in and out.
The tongue folds and is right behind the nose of the boat folded. Im anxious about the width though. I could get a few more inches, but the problem is i would be off my driveway on one side

Last edited by Michael; 05-31-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-31-2016, 11:41 PM Reply   
I think your length is actually the bigger problem. The trailer can only be 102" by law. But you have some hardware that sticks out beyond the transom of the boat. With 6" to spare length and width I think you are asking for a serious headache at best. 2-3" for speedo pickups with eat most of that. And we haven't even discussed exhaust pipes?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 12:41 AM Reply   
I measured from the back of the wedge to the nose of the boat, by using a plumb and It was 22'6". So you dont think the width is the issue?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 12:44 AM Reply   
I guess I just wanted to have a two care garage and fit the boat. I dont really like the idea of taking up the whole 2 car with the boat.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-01-2016, 5:05 AM Reply   
Since it will physically fit, I'd just try it before a bought anything.

Is the height OK?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       06-01-2016, 5:22 AM Reply   
I had a garage setup that sounds similar to what you are describing. Its a lot easier to park the boat in with a in the double garage side because you can maneuver the trailer within inches of the door frame and park the boat tight against the wall. I did this and still had room to park my truck next to it and the car in the third stall. My boat fit with about 3 inches to spare with the tongue folded.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-01-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
3 car garage huh? You move into cypress landing?
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-01-2016, 7:57 AM Reply   
I have a 110" door with my Moomba Mojo and once you get used to it its not bad at all if you have a straight shot into it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-01-2016, 8:33 AM Reply   
guess I don't see what the problem is. the boat will fit, end of discussion. glue some wheel chocks to the floor where the tires need to stop so you don't crank it into the wall. done.

I keep the platform on cause I have a 26' bay and a 23' boat. but its not bad. I leave 2-3" between platform and wall and have 3--4" between folded tongue and garage door.

Last edited by denverd1; 06-01-2016 at 8:39 AM.
Old     (jsans)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-01-2016, 8:39 AM Reply   
I have a trailer valet, which I bought for your exact problem. After taking off the platform, folding the tower, and folding the tongue I custom cut and welded on, I have maybe two inches of clearance if I caddy corner right. I have three inches clearance width. I hate to say this because I really respect the company, small business, made in America, but the weight limit they give is not even close. I have a moomba outback ls, 2600 pounds, and I can not even go up a hill that is a couple degrees grade. The jack is obviously at the verge of breaking, the axes have loosened, the tires look flat, and the gears make horrendous noises. I don't even use it anymore, I use my ATV. A new malibu wouldn't budge.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
I had a garage setup that sounds similar to what you are describing. Its a lot easier to park the boat in with a in the double garage side because you can maneuver the trailer within inches of the door frame and park the boat tight against the wall. I did this and still had room to park my truck next to it and the car in the third stall. My boat fit with about 3 inches to spare with the tongue folded.
The 2 car garage space is a good 2 feet shorter. The only way it will work is sideways.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
3 car garage huh? You move into cypress landing?
I moved to Fair Oaks, at least im closer to the cable.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark197 View Post
I have a 110" door with my Moomba Mojo and once you get used to it its not bad at all if you have a straight shot into it.
Thats what I was looking for. I guess I needed some reassurance before I widen the door. Nothing like spending a bunch of money for nothing.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 8:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsans View Post
I have a trailer valet, which I bought for your exact problem. After taking off the platform, folding the tower, and folding the tongue I custom cut and welded on, I have maybe two inches of clearance if I caddy corner right. I have three inches clearance width. I hate to say this because I really respect the company, small business, made in America, but the weight limit they give is not even close. I have a moomba outback ls, 2600 pounds, and I can not even go up a hill that is a couple degrees grade. The jack is obviously at the verge of breaking, the axes have loosened, the tires look flat, and the gears make horrendous noises. I don't even use it anymore, I use my ATV. A new malibu wouldn't budge.
So many mixed reviews on this thing. They have a bigger one that I might have to get
Old     (boatinal)      Join Date: Dec 2015       06-01-2016, 10:04 AM Reply   
If your confident in your backing skills then the width won't be a problem. If you can back the boat straight in you only need to watch the drivers side and if it is within an inch or two of the wall the other side must be fine. Pulling it out will actually be harder than backing in because the vehicle must be absolutely straight before hooking up.

You actually have 3-4" more depth than I do. I have 2-3" to spare after removing my swim platform and removing the tongue.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatinal View Post
If your confident in your backing skills then the width won't be a problem. If you can back the boat straight in you only need to watch the drivers side and if it is within an inch or two of the wall the other side must be fine. Pulling it out will actually be harder than backing in because the vehicle must be absolutely straight before hooking up.

You actually have 3-4" more depth than I do. I have 2-3" to spare after removing my swim platform and removing the tongue.
Have you gotten used to it? I think the trailer dolly will help a lot.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-01-2016, 4:15 PM Reply   
I use 4 of these on my boat once it is in the garage so I can tuck it up nice and tight against the wall. On a nice smooth garage I can push the boat around myself.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...lly-62234.html

Actually have three single doors right now, trying to get the $ together to convert two of the doors to a larger single door.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2016, 6:16 PM Reply   
Alan is right, coming out is harder. I have an 89 Supra Sunsport (95" beam 99" fender width with guide poles off). My door opening between the garage door seals is 105", leaving exactly 3" per side. Watch the drivers side going in and you know what space you have on the other. From time to time though I would get the angle a little off hooking up and would have a pain getting out. This is my second year with the boat and has not happened yet this season.... You do get the hang of it, even with just a few inches to spare.
Old     (boatinal)      Join Date: Dec 2015       06-01-2016, 8:22 PM Reply   
I am fortunate to have a two car garage door at my house. I only had to deal with the single wide door for a few winters when I stored it at a relatives. I'm confident backing so it didn't worry me.

The biggest hassle I have with the short garage is having to remove the swim platform. It takes two people to remove, although I can put it on myself. I also have to lower the tower which is a similar hassle because you have to climb in the boat. I actually back into the garage until the boat bumps the sheetrock very gently. I'm not worried about the boat, the bar in back is what hits, and sheetrock is forgiving. Some day I may pop some screws on the back of the bathroom on the other side of the wall but no big deal.

Taking the swim platform is easier than what I used to do with my I/O. I had to back in with engine up, remove trailer from truck, lower trail a lot, lower lower unit, and then push the boat by hand the last 12-18 inches. Now at least I can back it into place with the truck.

Would I love a three car garage with a 26 foot depth? Of course, without the increased mortgage.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-02-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Alan is right, coming out is harder. I have an 89 Supra Sunsport (95" beam 99" fender width with guide poles off). My door opening between the garage door seals is 105", leaving exactly 3" per side. Watch the drivers side going in and you know what space you have on the other. From time to time though I would get the angle a little off hooking up and would have a pain getting out. This is my second year with the boat and has not happened yet this season.... You do get the hang of it, even with just a few inches to spare.
Do you take it in and out of the garage often? Part of me just thinks I should swing it sideways in the 2 car garage. Do you know the depth people need for this?
Old     (jsans)      Join Date: Apr 2015       06-02-2016, 9:04 AM Reply   
I have the same drywall issue, my trim tab was putting holes in the wall. I screwed in a metal sheet from home Depot, then painted it, you can hardly tell it's there. As far as the trailer valet, I read all the reviews, the people who like them generally have fishing boats and pop up campers. It does move my boat on flat ground, but not that much easier than by hand really.