Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kdawg)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-03-2013, 8:10 AM Reply   
I just picked up my boat from getting it winterized and my bill was for $458. I have a 2010 23 LSV with an 8.1 liter indmar. My dad actually picked up the boat for me while I was at work, so I didn't see the receipt till late last night. I emailed the dealer to see if it was a key stroke error, and they responded this morning stating that it's the normal price.... Here's a breakdown of the work.

I understand the parts...and I double checked the cost of each item on BakesOnline
$
  • 60 for 10 quarts of oil
  • $15.50 for the Oil Filter
  • $29.99 for the impeller kit
  • $10.99 for stabilizer (This is enough for two boats….)
  • =$116.48
I paid $137.45 on my receipt for the items above.... I understand they got the parts and there should be a fee for that, totally cool with the $137.45
Where I’m extremely confused is the extra $300 for labor. Why would the winterization take 3-4 hours? It's 1 hour worth of work.

I've owned 5 other wakeboard boats in the last 10 years, all with big motors, and Tige never charged that much. My brothers X-80 wasn't even that much to winterize.

Am I in the wrong complaining about this to the dealer, or did I get royally overcharged?
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       10-03-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
That wasn't a standard winterization.
Usually they just drain your fluids...

Oil change labour approx 0.5 to 1 hour
Impeller change labour approx 0.5 to 1 hour
drain engine approx 0.5 hour
Drain heater core lines another 0.5 hour
So I could see them taking 2-3 hours.... So its a touch high.. I'd do it myself next season if I were you...
Seems a bit much... but
Old    SMDFSRK            10-03-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
I'd say that's a little high. But everyone is different. I'd say you're a little low in how long you think it takes to winterize, change oil, impeller, service trailer, winterize ballast, heater etc. on an inboard boat. You're looking at 2+ hours of labor. However they more than likely charge a flat rate. So the amount of time it takes really doesn't matter much.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-03-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
That is a pretty standard price around here for a winterization.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-03-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
that looks like an oil change, impellar swap & winterization. Oil change is usually 120-150. Winterization is about the same, and impellar swap by itself is about 100. So youre right around there.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-03-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
please do yourself a favor and learn how to do all this yourself.....lol

it aint hard and would of saved you probably $300
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-03-2013, 9:20 AM Reply   
I'm more surprised you never paid that much for it before.
Old     (Therapy10)      Join Date: Oct 2011       10-03-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
That does seem crazy expensive to me but I've got a DD and 350 which is as bare bones as it comes. If the price is too high, do it yourself and save money. I'm cheap so I do it myself but you also get the joy of maintaining your own boat and know it is done right. Time is money, either yours or theirs.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-03-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
I would highly recommend learning to do some of that stuff yourself. I was appalled how much they want just to change an impeller in your boat. Any monkey with two thumbs can change one on a direct drive in 10 minutes and they still want $120! I think forum chats and youtube could become your new best friend!
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-03-2013, 10:01 AM Reply   
Our winterization is usually $280 in labor plus parts. Roughly Averages out to $350-$370 tax included.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-03-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
I winterize my own boat and it takes me just about a full day to bottom clean, change oil, change impeller, take out ballast bags and dry pumps as much as possible, drain all water from cooling system and replace with anti-freeze etc. etc.

The price seems a little on the high side but not anything outrageous.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2013, 10:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for reminding me why I do this myself!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-03-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
Is it crazy expensive? YES
Is it the going rate? YES
Old     (kdawg)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-03-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I talked to the dealer and apparently they bill for winterizing and summarizing. Now it's starting to sound like a good deal, since some of you guys that that wasn't far off. The dealer said I pay for all the parts today and next spring it's free, which I vaguely remember paying zero when I picked up my boat last year.... They also said the impeller isn't changed until next spring, so it won't dry out over the winter.

It all seems pretty stupid in the first place since I only put 13 hours on my boat last summer. I wish someone would have told me when you have kids, you end out spending every saturday watching them chase butterflies on a soccer field..... Whatever, I'd still rather have 13 hours of surfing than no surfing....

Thanks for the feedback, this is the best forum.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-03-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
After I winterize, "summerizing" consists of connecting the batteries and starting the boat. Summerizing is a con game.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-03-2013, 3:16 PM Reply   
I was complaining about the $350 I was being charged. Apparently my shop is low on there rate. I did it myself this year. I changed all fluids drained water and pumped her full of antifreeze. $110.00 for supplies
Old     (strev)      Join Date: May 2012       10-03-2013, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
I wish someone would have told me when you have kids, you end out spending every saturday watching them chase butterflies on a soccer field.....

HAHA, So funny and so true!!!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-03-2013, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
After I winterize, "summerizing" consists of connecting the batteries and starting the boat. Summerizing is a con game.
But who will put the petcocks back in the block and the drain plug in the boat? Check to make sure the bilge works? Make sure the battery charged and the boat starts?? ??
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-03-2013, 11:22 PM Reply   
I think it is best to change the Impellor also in spring instead of the new impellor sitting unused all winter.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-04-2013, 4:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I talked to the dealer and apparently they bill for winterizing and summarizing. Now it's starting to sound like a good deal, since some of you guys that that wasn't far off. The dealer said I pay for all the parts today and next spring it's free, which I vaguely remember paying zero when I picked up my boat last year.... They also said the impeller isn't changed until next spring, so it won't dry out over the winter.

It all seems pretty stupid in the first place since I only put 13 hours on my boat last summer. I wish someone would have told me when you have kids, you end out spending every saturday watching them chase butterflies on a soccer field..... Whatever, I'd still rather have 13 hours of surfing than no surfing....

simple solution get them off the soccer field and onto the boat
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-04-2013, 5:25 AM Reply   
Does your shop guaranteed their work? I'm not sure if this is an across the board deal, but the shop one of the guys I boat with goes to guarantees their work. So, in theory, if they mess up the winterization process and the block freezes, they'll replace it at their cost. This is important to him, as one of the first years he had it, he didn't get it drained right and cracked the block. He had an LT1, and it was a$6,000 + repair. His wife is happy to cut a check on an annual basis now.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-04-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I talked to the dealer and apparently they bill for winterizing and summarizing.
Which consists of????? What all did they do for a winterization? Does the boat have shower, ballast, heater? did they service the v-drive and trans fluid? Does it include a new impeller? I think you need to look at the a la carte breakdown of what was included.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-04-2013, 11:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
But who will put the petcocks back in the block and the drain plug in the boat? Check to make sure the bilge works? Make sure the battery charged and the boat starts?? ??
I think this is a joke, but... all my drain plugs go right back in after the boat is drained. The batteries are trickle charged all winter. My 14 year old's sole duty is to put the plug in the boat when we get to the ramp and pull it when we leave. I have to tow pretty far, so come spring I always start the boat on the hose before we go out.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-04-2013, 12:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
I think this is a joke, but... all my drain plugs go right back in after the boat is drained. The batteries are trickle charged all winter. My 14 year old's sole duty is to put the plug in the boat when we get to the ramp and pull it when we leave. I have to tow pretty far, so come spring I always start the boat on the hose before we go out.
I leave the drain plugs out. Your child is almost ready! I was 15 when my parents bought our inboard, ever since then its been me either directly or helping winterize/figure out what is required. As well as clean, wax, wipe down, dry, fuel for my own, etc etc etc. I did all of that minus gas from the time I was probably 12 on. Keeps the boat looking good!