Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-05-2011, 4:51 AM Reply   
Picked up this years father / sons / daughter project.
1978 Ski Nautique.
I was surfing CL yesterday and tripped over her, called the guy and he had the title and acepted a seriously low-ball offer. Cleared the appropriation of funds through congress and jumped in the truck.
The trailer is rough but made it home 100 miles.
There is no engine or reversing gear but the running gear and steering gear is intact.
No interior but the frames are all there.
The aft floor section over the shaft log is rotten as a corn cob but the stringers in way of the engine bearers are sound. Will see more once the floor comes up.
I actually have most parts sitting around. i have a 5.7 Volvo vortec complete engine that needs freshening. A buddy has an old 1;1 velvet drive under his bench he will let go cheap.
The Admiral gets full free reign on the interior.
The gel is actually pretty good and will polish up but the Admiral is talking paint colors.
My largest initial cash outlay will be a tower.
My timeline is running by March.
What do you think? 400 bucks......
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-05-2011, 6:50 AM Reply   
Cool little boat.. Kids will love working on that and will like having their "own" boat in a few years when it's all done.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-05-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
Good luck, look forward to seeing pictures of the project come to life
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-05-2011, 7:30 AM Reply   
Should be great to ski behind. Not so sure about boarding.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-05-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
No tower! Can't ya do a pole? I don't think towers compliment those older ski boats...What do you think?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-05-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
Badass; that will definitely be a fun project!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-05-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Damn, you stole that thing. If you've got the time, it's going to be a great family project. Nice work!
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-05-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
A few months ago I picked up a 1968 Keaton Utility with a 455 olds for a song. Looks like you have yourself a good project. What are your plans?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-05-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
thats a steal!! nice find! that boat will throw a great wakeboard wake, just have to add a sac on each side towards the back (400lbs each) put a tower on it and your set!
Old     (txmxer)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-05-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
Thats awesome, now your giving me ideas.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-05-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
I saw some guys over the weekend at a local comp that had one of those bad boys. I was wondering how old it was. They had it macked out with a tower, speakers, and sacks.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-05-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
So my daughter turned six today. She woke up, looked out the window and runs into my office and jumps in my lap. "You bought me a wake boat for my birthday!" Wow! LOL it might get painted pink

I have such latitude because the interior will be from scratch. i was thinking of a sort of raised deck full boat lounge / playpen with bags beneath the seats and a little storage as well. Wife an I will take a few beers on board and sort it out. Whatever she wants, she gets.
Tossing power to pole options. The Monster is the only real factory option due to narrow beam and it really does not look great on the boat. i pull a zillion kids and thought a boom would be handy for teaching anyway.
I am pretty exited about the project and the wake will be fine. Some initial Planet Nautique cruising showed some pics. Not huge but fine for this old body. I get my azz kicked for week every year on my buddies X star. Whatever it should be better than the fishing boat I run now.
I will take lots of pics and throw them up as we move along.
Thanks guys!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
My neighbor has that boat. I ran outside and took a picture of it. Sorry, its a poor picture because it was raining and the boat was slightly covered. I do not know what tower this is, but i think it looks good. The nice thing about a tower in this boat is that you can get the boards and bimini up out of the way. Considering that the interior is so small, it may be the better way to go. Definately post your progress, I am looking forward to your build.
Attached Images

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-05-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
That looks like a fun project if you have the time. It should make a sweet wake too.

Ideas to think about:
big bow ballast
homebrew purevert under the floor
rear faced side seating
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-05-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
Looking forward to seeing the progress. IMO these projects are much more fun to watch than brand new boats getting $10k in stereo and wraps added to them.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-05-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
GD, thanks bro, all have been considered. this boat is < 20' and subject to USCG level flotation criteria. everything outboard of the stringers is foam filled thus negating my dreams of sub-deck ballast of any kind. ( but a home brew pur vert was a-brewin)
Big bow ballast---- check
Rear facing seating---check
Johnny thanks for the pic, Do y'all think that tower "fits"? I dunno. I realize i must have a tower if for nothing else but but board storage. I am starting to lean towards a reverse arch type with no forward legs, probably custom.
Thoughts?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-05-2011, 7:50 PM Reply   
Oh and regarding fwd ballast, i ride in sea water and was intending to put a triangle tank in the very bow for fresh water for a platform shower. I have found tanks that would add up to around 360 lbs full. Plus all batteries under the dash (3 31 AGM) Thats usable weight. Then rely on organic ballast aft.
thoughts?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       10-05-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
About a year ago there was a similar nautique with a ww2 fighter airbrushed paint job for sale. It looked like sheet metal panels with rivets and what not. Pretty cool looking. Iirc it had a monster mte or mt1 tower and it looked fine.

Last edited by Jeff; 10-05-2011 at 8:00 PM.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-06-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
you can get wakeboard racks for a boom/pole.. had them on my first boat.. friend has them on her natique as well..

cool project.. I love it all white.. would be so cool to see it all white with all white interior and sea dek floor.

awesome project - look forward to seeing the progress.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-06-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
Thats awesome! You definately got a deal on that sucker. I have been looking for something like that here in the DFW area, but cant ever seem to catch one.

I agree on the all white, I think it would look awesome!
Cant wait to see the progress.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-06-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
skuhlman,
theres a 2001 in Ft Worth for 4K. Looks like a complete boat... I posted it in the classifieds yesterday
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
I have been checking this thread every day......is it done yet? lol
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2011, 3:22 PM Reply   
I just pulled in the driveway and my daughter is on the bow (6 years old) dressed in a bikini top and board shorts, dancing.
Dear Lord what have I done? LOL.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2012, 2:46 PM Reply   
Well i have been busy as i suspected and also I have some help from the kiddos so we are making progress.
The grid and under-deck was worse than i had hoped. Somebody had been in there before me and had really buggered things up.

I developed a plane because of the tight budget this project is on i could not replace the entire grid from scratch. the boat just doesn't warrant the time or money.

So I identified the worst spots of rot and built a guide out of a 2x4 and using a plunge router excavated the stringers to where I found solid wood again. i then dimensioned new timbers to fit inside the the fiberglass stringer side walls and re-capped them with fiberglass.

The guy before me had visions of a wood free deck and done allot of things wrong. the surface, once the carpet was up, was so lumpy and the tabbing so poor I chopped it out and put a new wood deck back in. It is done right and glassed on the bottom as well so i expect it to last a while.

The battery box was always a joke on these boats and famous for filling up with water. i have at least 2 maybe three series 31 agm's going under the dash so the battery box is now the drink cooler. it is all glassed in and back-foamed about 4" so it should work fine. A drain and plug are installed.

The deck is in except for the aft section with will be modular. Semi-permanent center section screwed and caulked in. removable for major service if needed.
I will finish that and begin building the furniture.
You guys are gonna love what i have planned for seating.

WISH LIST:
GM 5.7 BELL HOUSING, AND FLYWHEEL WITH OUTBOARD RING GEAR FOR A TOP MOUNT STARTER.

OLD STYLE MERCRUISER ALTERNATOR BRACKET THAT MOUNTS OFF THE PORT SIDE MANIFOLD IN THE ELEVATED POSITION.

ENGINE MOUNT BRACKETS FOR AN OLD SCHOOL VELVET DRIVE
Attached Images

Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-03-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Wow, awesome progress!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2012, 4:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Ian.
(good name btw, #2 son is Ian) A mans' name.
Timbers are just PT dried on stickers under Mammas sled in the garage.
Decks are medium grade CDX with a single finished side and all weather glue. One layer of CSM and two coats of resin on the bottoms.
Tabbing is a 20:1 ratio starting and ending with 1.5 oz CSM with a center of 3oz biax E glass and general purpose polyester resin. Minimum tabbing reach is 5"
Once the aft section is fitted and pulled I will fit the furniture bases and fair all edges and put on a general cover of 1.5oz cloth then gel coat and flow the gel into the bilges. Likely to be ice blue gel.
Really need that bell housing guys, check the attic and basement please.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-03-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
love the update. please keep them coming as you progress.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-03-2012, 7:17 PM Reply   
Nice work. Love seeing restorations.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-04-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
nice work so far, I was just thinking of this thread the other day and wondering what progress had been made. I've been looking at everyone else's projects while my boat has been sitting at the dealer the last 4 months. can't wait to see the finished product
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-04-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
Cool project. Love to see an old one brought back to life.

I have a 2001 that I redid the stringers in. I wanted to do underfloor balast but when I got the floor up and did the measurements I realized that there was not enough room to hold enough water to do much so skipped that.

Keep up the good work. As for a tower I made one because I had to make one that would fold down below the windshield to fit in my storage. Mine works great but is kind of ugly and way more expensive than it should have been. I really like the old flight control towers on these boats. Check out new dimension for a tower.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
great work man- way to get the kids involved --- i remember helping my dad with projects - some of the best memories. congrats on the boat.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, nothing done today as i spent all day watching old movies and writing reports. Now I have a 5 hour drive to Cape Canaveral for a Monday appointment. Uggg
Next week I will start on the custom seats. i have big plans as i lay awake in the wee hours planing this thing. if anybody can get 20 pounds into this five pound box it's me!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-05-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
keep updates coming!!!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-06-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
UPDATE:
Since we last convened I have been crazy busy at work but have managed to make some notable progress. One thing is I re-built the 1:1 Borg Warner. with a new clutch and seal kit. The forward plates were welded together and the friction plates were warped. Bough the core for 100, new kit: 146.. Total $246 for a fresh reversing gear. Not bad.
Next, I built a seat base for the driver seat and then made a mold and laminated a solid fiberglass base for the observer seat base. These boats have zero storage and I always run a full crew, plus dog, plus whateverlameassshowsuplastminute. So I designed the seat base to hold all my mandatory safety gear and the observers seat base will hold a an extra board or comp ski, out of the way and off the deck.
The gel went on today, first coat is spayed HVLP. I will tape off bright lines around the edges then roll a second coat with non skid.

Prep for paint this week and paint next weekend.

I can taste it!

I have a tower that will fit with a few mods.
I have a fresh long block and all the stuff to complete it.
Need an inboard GM flywheel and top mount starter. Keep your eyes open.

Thanks for looking,
'John
Attached Images

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-06-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Wow. I never noticed how my granite slab looks like it is covered in skulls... eww.... kinda creepy. It's just a sink cut-out from a counter top that 1.5" thick solid granite and dead flat. I use it to sharpen my plane irons and chisels, planer knives and in this case, hone some friction plates. Anything that has to be flat.
Old     (airzemee)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-06-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
man!! sick work!! i cant wait to see what else you have in store for the new seating! i have a 80 that i am looking to do work to along the same lines as what your doing for seating. I need to utuilize the underseat better as well, These boats fill up very fast when you start putting coolers and jackets in. I have a homemade tower on mine that i thought was ugly at first, and it probably still is.. .but it has grown on me haha. My boat is getting perfect pass on it, along with a few other little goodies. next on my list will be to build seating and a inboat stereo. right now i have 2 speakers on the tower an a amp powering them. I want to clean that up and get 4 speakers in the boat as well as a small sub under the front! way to go though on your progress so far!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-07-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
Lookin good
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-07-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
I wish I was half as handy as the people on WW. Bait - this is just a seriously cool thread man. Keep up the great work.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-07-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Buff the gelcoat back to life, no paint.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-07-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Buff the gelcoat back to life, no paint.

No can-do Kemosabe. The gel is really in bad shape. The pics look good, (but) nice from far but far from nice>>> kinda like a three bag skank from across the parking lot.
Its gonna be painted. I use an epoxy paint very close to Awlcraft that wet sands and buffs like gelcoat and lays down like butta;.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-07-2012, 3:57 PM Reply   
Nice work so far! Looks like you are making good progress!
Old     (jcfox00)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-14-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
Any update, This thread is sweet! Would love to do this someday.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Well all the holes are filled, spot primed, scratches filled and finish primed. ready for paint and it looks like it is going to rain for the next forseable future..
Had some trouble with my HVLP gun at first. The gun end regulator guage was off by 10 psi (low) so I wound up blowing 50$ in primer and a box of sandpaper to fix it.

Oh well, live and learn.
Here she is waiting for the weather.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-16-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
You located in FL?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_nuggets View Post
You located in FL?

SW Florida, Marco / Naples area

You have a boat you can pull me with?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
This is the paint:
PPG Concept. It is a single stage, ultra hard urethane that can be wet sanded and buffed. It is very close to Imron in that it will kill you if you dont have a good respirator but offers the best work-ability, gloss and scratch resistance.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/docs/ppgdccp.pdf
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-20-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
It runs!

Attached Images

Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-20-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
looks great. i love this thread, please keep the pictures coming.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       06-20-2012, 6:16 PM Reply   
Awesome restoration Congrats Man!!
Old     (wakeboy01)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-25-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
Looking good! Keep up the good work~
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-25-2012, 3:54 PM Reply   
It's alive!!!!
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-26-2012, 8:25 AM Reply   
Its turning out really nice.

Just out of curiosity, when its all set and done, would you be able to sell it for as much time/money as you put into it? Or is it just one of those things that has more cool factor than value? (Not saying its not worth it, but I was just curious)
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-26-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Looks fantastic! When is the water test? Let's see some on water pics and video!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-01-2012, 12:14 PM Reply   
This thing runs like a raped ape! Seriously fun to drive. Allot of ponies in a boat that weighs less than 2000 lbs. I might try some video this afternoon. I just cleared my phone memory.
Attached Images

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-01-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf1985 View Post
Its turning out really nice.

Just out of curiosity, when its all set and done, would you be able to sell it for as much time/money as you put into it? Or is it just one of those things that has more cool factor than value? (Not saying its not worth it, but I was just curious)
Just saw this.. sorry Rat.
Good question and its also a reason why I did not do a 100% historical resto, Its also the reason I did not do a full epoxy / composite grid and deck.
I could spen 30K and this boat would still be worth 5. Thats it. No mater what the boat is worth $5,000.
So my entire budjet for the build is $4,999.99.
Right now I'm pretty close to 3600 and I still have to finish the tower, do the entire interior and provide tunes.

Oh yeah my trailer just broke in half...
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-01-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
That's not bad at all for a nice looking old boat.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-01-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
boat looks great, and even more important it looks like the kids are having fun.
Old    9Drozd            07-01-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
Looks great so far. You might think about getting the chromax ski nautique letters from the 200. It would look clean and simple, but I dont know what the cost is on those. Anyways, great looking boat and cant wait to see the final product.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
you can get it all up on a flyhigh pole. 4 speakers and 4 boards
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-01-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   

bimini butts to the front of the speakers and under the bottom bindings. im not a huge fan for towers on the old skis, but some look fine
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2012, 3:49 AM Reply   
Thanks, if I didn't have a tower the extended pylon would my direction for sure. The tower I do have though is off of a Seadoo jet boat and petty modern looking so it shouldn't look all erector-set like some of them.
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       07-02-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
Looks great man, fun project.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
cool. didnt know you had one. i bought a sport nautique and got a smoking deal on it but blew my budget on a new dimentions tower and only broke even on the sale
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-03-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   

from john campbell on Vimeo.

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-03-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Sounds fantastic.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-03-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
That thing sounds great and really flys.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-03-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'd say it runs GREAT!

Nice work bringing that bad boy back from the dead!!!!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-03-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
This is my favorite thread. You are doing amazing work. A sweet family boat is reborn!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-03-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thanks Its a hoot to drive.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-03-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
awesome!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-08-2013, 5:09 AM Reply   
Ok so the tower is done and on, Huge drama getting if finished but i like it.

The girls were given free license to design the interior. So Kaitlin Rose and Bronwyn my canvass girl dreamed this up!
The rest of the seats will be done this week!
Attached Images

Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-08-2013, 5:46 AM Reply   
You're a good dad for giving them free license to do as they please... I think haha. Seriously nice work. Nothing cooler than rebuild threads that are completed!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2013, 8:04 PM Reply   
Hey its been a while. Glad to see an update its looking good. I love the restoration process as well.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-08-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
That baby pulls hard! Nice
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2013, 8:44 PM Reply   
dude i love it!
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-09-2013, 7:28 PM Reply   
love this thread and that boat. congrats!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2013, 7:45 PM Reply   
Love the motor cover. That thing looks great.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2013, 6:14 AM Reply   
I ghetto rigged the Bimni and it worked out better than I could have ever dreamed. Its permanent now.
The engine box and observers seat are in. All that is left is the carpet for the inside walls. I have this and glue, just no time. Rear seat and bolsters. Again its about time. Id rather sit on bean bags than work on the boat. This crap can wait until winter.
The stereo needs to be installed. I have the deck and its all wired, need an amp and in boat speakers but two pairs of football cleats and padded shirts plus a cheerleader outfit and two football registration fees wiped out my paypal secret $ stash.
Oh well. Im surprised at the economy of the boat. We run 4 miles hard to and from where we ride, everybody gets as long as they want and I still only burn about 8 gallons a trip. Happy.

More pics:
Attached Images

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2013, 6:17 AM Reply   
Ill try to get some wake pics this weekend if it ever stops raining.