Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       05-27-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
Can anyone tell me what RPMs they are at when listed and surfing? I feel like since I added my FAE i am hearing a different “sound in the motor” and what I mean by that is it’s like the FAE is effecting the performance. Maybe a slight drag. So I changed the prop because I noticed a slight bend in one of the blades and trouble getting to speed. It is a little better, but again I don’t feel 100% with it. seems like it is not running the same, but then again the last time I heard it was in October. I have a 2012 v226 supreme with the 5.7 in it. I have about 2900lbs in ballast and surf at 11mph. The rps are about 3100 -3200. Does that seem kind of high?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-27-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
RPMs sound about right. I run the same RPMs when I'm wakeboarding.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-27-2014, 10:01 AM Reply   
I am glad to hear it isn't just me! I seem to remember last year before FAE 10pmph ballasted out was bout 2,000 rpm. Now it is 3,000rpm since I put FAE on. Without all that weight wake boarding I am about the same RPM doing 22-23mph. I am altitude so I run the acme 1235.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-27-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
Try once again without the FAE.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-28-2014, 9:55 PM Reply   
Mine was exactly the same rpm with or without the FAE. That was quite a few years ago that I had it off.
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       05-29-2014, 6:01 AM Reply   
I am thinking the rpms have raised since the FAE. i had 2- 4inch turned down pipes. so i am thinking that the engine is working harder to push the fumes out since the FAE is one piece?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-29-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws View Post
I am thinking the rpms have raised since the FAE. i had 2- 4inch turned down pipes. so i am thinking that the engine is working harder to push the fumes out since the FAE is one piece?
I think so too. I over tightened two of the clamps & cannot get them loose without cutting them so it's won't be an easy thing to take off & verify. My wife says the same thing too & is always worried when we surf that the boat is working too hard running 3000 rpm.
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-29-2014, 8:00 AM Reply   
Jack, check your Z - measure again its how far down the down pipe is. If its too far down it will create too much drag because its in the center of the prop wash vs the top half of the prop wash.

Cutting stainless clamps would not be fun.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-29-2014, 7:53 PM Reply   
S.r., already went over it with Larry, z is good. Will double check just to error on the safe side.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-30-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
With heavy ballast you want your small block engine turning over 3000 rpm's. Think of driving up a steep hill, your car kicks down a gear to get the engine in a more efficient rpm range for the load.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-30-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
if it change my rpms it wasnt very much. and it might be deceving cause you only hear the motor and dont really hear the exhaust anymore. but i havent noticed anything out of the ordinary on mine. i run 4k - 5k lbs surfing. 2012 axis a22. all in all best stereo upgrade i could do. and i dont smell the exhaust well surfing anymore. neighbors like it when i run at night. they dont hear any more at 1 am.

Last edited by rugbyballa3; 05-30-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added some