Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RzNick)      Join Date: Aug 2014       04-27-2016, 3:04 PM Reply   
At the end of last season I had a very unfortunate event involving a football and some very shallow water. We weren't going very fast, engine was at 1,000 rpm. Hitting the bottom killed the engine so I jumped out and pushed us off the sand bar and putted back to the ramp. Prop had one fin that got bent so I threw on a spare that I had. Still vibrating pretty bad (to me), so I got a rebuilt prop and threw it on there. Still vibrating. So I got a brand new prop. Still vibrating. So I took it into the shop had the alignment checked. Spot on. They said the strut was completely straight and said the shaft didn't look bent either but there was no way to check that without taking it out 😕. The boat is currently back at the shop getting a new shaft put in. I'm hoping they will be smart enough to check other things while its out, like strut bearing,
It only starts to vibrate at around 2000rpm and doesn't get worse or less at more rpm. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into an insurance claim cause right now my premium is really low and I'd like to keep it that way. Also I've got a Powell trip in a month and I need to make sure the boat is good to go. Any thing else I would be missing? Any help would be great.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-27-2016, 3:15 PM Reply   
Shaft may be just ever so slightly bent or knocked slightly out of alignment at the coupling. It could also be the shaft is straight but bent ever slightly right at the base of the prop. I have seen both cause lots of vibration in boats. And by a little I mean just a hair but it was enough to be able to feel the vibration when under power. Big odds the shaft is bent and needs straightening or replacing. Keep the spare props though!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-27-2016, 3:17 PM Reply   
what boat? so it vibes at 2K and above?

you're checking all the things I would have checked. did you put any hours on it will it was vibrating? running the motor out of alignment can cause internal damage. hope that shaft is bent a tad
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2016, 3:56 PM Reply   
Leave the prop on and soap up the strut bearing, grab the fake O lake and fire it up and put it in gear. No fake a lake? Stuff a garden hose in the sea strainer. Stand back and look at the end of the shaft. Stare at the lathe mark and if its even a C hair out you will see it. Look sideways at it and if its whipping, that will also be quite obvious. You can also use a dial indicator on the taper with the engine off as many of the local shops do. Also how did the shop check for a bent strut if they cant check a shaft without pulling it? Did you lap on the new prop? Did you notice any increase in rotational effort after the grounding? May be time to try a wrench with more inboard experience. The problem most shops have these days is that there is no data port on the propeller shaft in which to plug in their lap top. I hope its a Mastercraft. Those splined shaft couplings make this kind of stuff so easy.
Old     (RzNick)      Join Date: Aug 2014       04-27-2016, 3:57 PM Reply   
It's an 08 tige RZ2. Yes, the boat doesn't vibrate at all below 2000 rpm, only above. The only hours I've put on it since the incident have been testing to see if it got fixed or not. Thanks for the replies
Old     (RzNick)      Join Date: Aug 2014       04-27-2016, 4:04 PM Reply   
Baitkiller, the prop spins just as easily as it did before the incident. If the damn rudder wasn't in the way I would've done the shaft myself. Also I'm the only one that can turn a wrench right now amongst almost everyone I know. So back to the shop it went. I did put a dial on the shaft before I put it back in the shop. Definitely not straight. And I know what you mean about the strut if they couldn't tell about the shaft. Starting to think they just didn't want to take my money.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2016, 4:45 PM Reply   
Some boats you can pull a V drive shaft out through the cabin after pulling the seat. Not yours though I'm guessing? Good luck man, if you need help with details ping me.