Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sporte77)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-25-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
I'd like to hear from you about your experiences with Portland, OR ski/wake boat dealers. I've dealt with both Active Water Sports (AWS) and Portland Ski Boat Center (PSBC) & am curious about what may be the majority consensus. I have my own opinion based on personal experience & will post later.

Please give your honest, overall experiences (i.e., great to deal with overall - or difficult to deal with; prompt service - or not prompt; honest - or not so honest; knowledgeable - or blowing smoke; etc.).

I think this may help those who are going to buy make a decision while buying from a dealer in Portland and on what to look out for. I wish I'd have had this guidance before my latest purchase. No, I'm not a dealer or sales guy. I am fairly new to wakeboarding (2 years) and on my 2nd boat from 2 different dealers. Feel free to mention other dealers besides the two I have dealt with.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
I have worked with both AWS and with PSBC. I think they are both great compared to others I that I have heard people deal with. I suppose a lot depends on your particular issue and if you got to the right person. Let me know what your problem is and I can get you to the right people that I guarantee they will do everything in their power to help you. Feel free to PM me. I am not related with either of them, but have some good contacts at both.
Good luck with whatever is going down.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-25-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Like Diggs I have had great experiences with both dealers. John, Matt, Gregg etc. at AWS are top notch. Same for Pat, Mark, Chris, etc. at PSBC. I wouldn't hesitate to buy equipment or a boat from either dealer. I think we are fortunate to have both of them in Portland. I even have cell phone numbers from people at both dealers and they have helped me out on many of occasions. Especially when having an issue on the water. Now that's what I call excellent customer service
Old     (brgamz86)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
I have made purchases at both active and psbc (which we have purchase 3 boats from). I am good friends with the manager at Active. I have never had a bad experience at either dealers and have bought a grip of stuff from both. I also have a friend that works for Bruce at Nautique. Although never have purchased anything from there....I'm sure they are just as good.

One quick story that stands out. While wakeboarding on the upper....we hit a log. It was early summer and crap was still in the water.....This was Sat. eve. around 5pm. Called psbc cause we had plans to be on the water the next day early. They stayed open late for us and swapped the prop out with a new one. If they didn't do this they would be closed on Sunday and I would be searching for 4 other boats to put 10 peeps on!!!! That's called service! Have always had great trade-in's, service, etc. Just plan ahead. If it getting to be summer and you haven't done your service....that's your fault not theirs. Although, I'm sure they will do everything in their power to get you in.
Old     (bswakechick)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
I have purchased two boats from PSBC, the first was a x45 and the second is an xstar! Both have the best wakes ever, and my experiences with the guys there have been outstanding. Pat is who I have always dealt with and he is way chill! After purchasing the x45, Pat met us at the lake to show us all the details of the boat and even gave me a few tips on the water. Before purchasing the xstar Pat took us out on the river and I got to check out all the features on the water, then ride on its amazing wake! Anytime I have ever had a problem with my boat Pat, Mark and the mechanic (I believe his name is Matt) have been there to help. My experiences with PSBC have been so amazing! They're the best, and I recommend them for everyone in search of a new boat!

I have never bought a boat at AWS, but I compete in their competitions and it is the only place I will buy a board! Every time I am in the store the guys hook me up with the best board and binding set up! They're prices are great and there selection is awesome. I am always looking forward to their comps; they're way fun! I have dealt with them since the first board I ever bought, and never had a bad experience. They've got everything you need for a great wake season.

PSBC and AWS are awesome, and we are lucky to have them in the area!
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-25-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
Purchased a boat from AWS after the boat show in 2008. Purchasing the boat was not an issue, Gerry was great to work with regards to the actual transaction. When it came time to pick the boat up that was a different story. Made arrangements to pick the boat up 2 weeks after the papers where signed, in part to give them time to prep the boat because the boat show had just ended. Went to pick up the boat on the day we had originally agreed upon, boat was not ready to pick up, in fact the boat had not even been brought from storage to be prepped for delivery. Said the boat would be ready in 2 days. Went to pick up the boat 2 days later, get there and the boat was still not completely ready. The bimini was not installed (was apparently back ordered for 2 weeks), the boat had not been dewinterized, and they found about a dozen stress cracks that needed to be fixed while detailing the boat, which rather then calling us to let us know that they needed more time they just did nothing. Rather then leave it there we took the boat home so the stereo could be installed. Went to cover the boat and the cover was torn. Gerry said he would order us a new cover. Took the boat back after they let us know the bimini was in. Had the bimini installed and stress cracks fixed. Went to cover the boat to take it to the ramp with Gerry for a water test/show of how everything works and the cover was still the torn one. Took the cover off another boat to give to us. Out on the water test water started to flow out on the drivers side. The heater core had blown. Gerry apologized numerous times that it was blown and took the boat back to AWS to get it fixed. Go to pick the boat up and Gerry has the tech guy show us the blown heater core and what not. The tech precedes to say to me, my dad and Gerry that "the heater core had been moved to make room for the subwoofer that we installed and that whoever put it where it was located was a f*cking idiot." Gerry just backed away with a dumbfounded look on his face. We told the tech that we had not moved the heater core and he replied with "There is no way SC put the heater core where it is at." Pissed off we took the boat home and the next day called up Skier's Choice to find factory location of the heater core. Took some pics to send to them and in fact the heater core was mounted in the factory location.

Needless to say not happy with AWS after this point. Matt Radich tried to smooth things over but in all reality I don't think he could have done anything really to make everything perfect. He, and Warren offered us gift cards but we did not accept them. When i inquired to the ability and cost to upgrade the board racks from the 07 to the 09, he found out for me and ended up covering the costs associated with that. So he did what he could and what we were willing to let him do.

Matt, Warren, and guys from SC apologized numerous times to us for what happened. We probably wouldn't still have a slight bitter taste in our mouth from AWS if Gerry would have handled things differently. He should have stopped the tech from talking and took him away from from us after he dropped the F-bomb. And after we contacted SC and they indicated that they heater core was in fact in the correct location he should have called up and apologized.

We learned a few lessons and so do AWS from this purchase just wish we didn't have to learn them they way we did.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-25-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Nothing but good things to say about aws. No personal.experience with psbc. Just stories.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-25-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I haven’t bought a boat from Active but have picked up some gear there; they always seem to be helpful and stand behind their product. I have bought two boats from PSBC (Pat and Mark) and would recommend them to anyone in the area looking for a great boat and an overall great experience. Pat especially has always taken care of all my super picky request and service issues. Not sure where this thread is going or which dealer you are talking about but before you post negative feedback about either I would recommend working it out with them, Portland is way too small to stir up drama. Not sure what the issue is either but I would say if you have accepted any type of solution from them you can’t turn around and bash them.

Also both of the dealers mentioned have been supporters of the boating/wakeboarding community.
Old     (Springer)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 3:11 PM Reply   
I have purchased 5 boats from Mark. Pat has been my salesman for the last 3. I Have always been treated with respect!! They are great guys to deal with. Every boat I have owned has been serviced every fall through PSBC's service department and all the guys there are great as well. My family and friends have purchased and serviced boats the PSBC and their experiences have been positive as well. I have always been treated fairly at their pro-shop and have been happy with all their products. I will continue to purchase/service my Mastercraft boats at PSBC.

PS
I highly recommend the factory tour!!!!
Old     (Nathan)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
I have worked both with Active Water Sports (we bought our first boat from them), and with Portland Ski boat Center (Pat is my guy there), and both have been great. Active Water Sports has always treated me fairly, but Pat McDonald at PSBC has bent over backwards to make sure I was taken care of. His efforts to make sure I got the parts that I needed at a very fair price have been invaluable to me. He has saved me several hundreds of dollars, and several hours of work with his personal help to me. He is always willing to help me with no thought of sales commission or personal gain. He is an exceptional individual, who represents the Mastercraft brand in the best way. He has won my personal business for life, and I relish such relationships.

Nathan
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
Well said ixfe..... Can't agree more on your entire post.
Now as you read this please chug a beer for me, while I sit at my desk all day. No don't sip it. Chug it......
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-26-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I'm a AWS customer for life. Twice I needed my boat repaired within a certain time and both times they were able to hook me up. I have met just about everyone who works for AWS and haven't met a single one who I dislike. Oh yea they always take my boat to the shop from their lake and bring it back to the lake for me to pick up. This saves me over 120 miles of traveling. Once they even brought my boat to me 120 miles away from their shop and dropped it in my front yard. I don't think your gonna find a better boat dealer on the entire west coast. JMO And I did not even buy my boat from them. I buy all my accesories from them and they always beat any deal out there. Much props to Warren,Rupp,Matt,Matt, Gerry ,Greg, Jefferson Dan,John,and Former employee Jay H. If I missed anyone sorry. If I buy a new boat I will definatley be heading south to give AWS my buisness. You guys ROCK!!!!!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
I know it's not Oregon or Portland but its in the area and they typically participate in the Portland boat show. I've dealt with Don, Jason and Angie at TPS several times and they are always very quick to go above and beyond for me in all regards. Whether its during the sale or after they just step up time and again. Their knowledge surrounding all things Sanger is astounding as well as they offer some pretty damn cool proprietary services.

Example: A few months after I had purchased my boat I noticed a pin sized hole in my cover that looked as though it was caused by a cigarette ash. I contacted Don about it not expecting much. He sent another boat over to the Top Shop and had another customer cover made and shipped to me with pre payed shipping back for my cover.

Example: When I was buying my boat he told me about these cool lettering for my hull but that they costed $75, I said pass. When I got my licensing from them he had sent them anyway free of charge.

Example: I sent a couple things to him for my old boat (trade in) and as a thanks he sent me a comp vest.

Example: I had some warranty issues with the stitching on my seats, three of them. Sanger wanted to send skins and have a local shop do it but they insisted that Sanger do it. So they paid for all the shipping costs which were pretty damn big.

Example: I had my trailer totaled out, Don worked with me and SBT to get a replacement built just to my liking, saved me some big dough and got SBT to finish it early to coincide with some time off I had to cruise down to Cali and pick it up again saving me over $700 on freight.

If you are considering Sanger do yourself a favor and check with them they've been in business since the mid 80's. Nothing fancy just excellent service and relationship.
Old     (sporte77)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-26-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the post "hatepain", about TPS in Longview. Good to hear about some other dealers in the surrounding area as well. I've seen some of their boats on craigslist.
Sam