Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-14-2012, 5:34 PM Reply   
Thinking about finally trading in my 2008 Chevy Z71 (2wd) with 5.3 engine. I'm seriously considering a slightly used Toyota Tundra with 5.7 (2wd). Has anyone logged 75k or 100k miles on theirs yet? I'm looking for feedback on reliability, maintenance, etc. I read some reviews that the ride can be rough at highway speed, as the rear end tends to bounce around. My Z71 has 160k miles now, gets the job done but works hard towing my MC Prostar 205.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-14-2012, 9:33 PM Reply   
i thought there was nothing better than a chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, until i bought a tundra in 2010. my wifes brother sunk his dads brand new tundra crew max 4x4 with 5.7 had like 1500 miles on it in a pond, plum over the roof sunk!!! the insurance totaled it, and i bought it back off the insurace company for 3k bucks. i brought it back to my shop and me and my guys started draining all the floods and going through it. long story short i ended up only replacing the interior wiring harness, fuse box, blend door motors, battery, starter, and floor shift assembly. still needs a air bag module but really didnt care about the air bag light being on. also had to replace the power seat motor and switch. after i got it road worthy, my wife turned it into one of her company trucks, she owns a bunch of rent houses so her carpenters beat the hell out of the truck every day. since the fix i havent had one single problem with the truck. actually i did have one. we didnt think to drain the water from the brake booster and the first winter all the water froze in the booster and it lost its brakes. quick easy fix though. anyways if i was to buy a new half ton truck i wouldnt consider any other truck. seriously just look under the tundra. the brakes are a lot bigger than a chevy 1/2 ton actually their bigger than a 1 ton chevy. the tie rod ends are twice the size. balljoints. everything is just alot beefer on the tundra. and there is no comparison on how they run. the tundra will walk off and leave a chevy truck. i raced one in my 2010 escalade and it smoked me. i was shocked because the chevy 6.2 is a pretty bad motor. the turndra rides like a truck. might not be as smooth as a chevy but nothing that noticeable. to me the tundra has every truck in its class killed. one thing you might not like is the fuel economy. mine gets about 12-13 in town and about 15-17 highway. my wife and i are thinking about trading in the escalade this coming year, and we can decide if we want a new escalade or a new sequoia
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       12-18-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsx80 View Post
i thought there was nothing better than a chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, until i bought a tundra in 2010. my wifes brother sunk his dads brand new tundra crew max 4x4 with 5.7 had like 1500 miles on it in a pond, plum over the roof sunk!!! the insurance totaled it, and i bought it back off the insurace company for 3k bucks. i brought it back to my shop and me and my guys started draining all the floods and going through it. long story short i ended up only replacing the interior wiring harness, fuse box, blend door motors, battery, starter, and floor shift assembly. still needs a air bag module but really didnt care about the air bag light being on. also had to replace the power seat motor and switch. after i got it road worthy, my wife turned it into one of her company trucks, she owns a bunch of rent houses so her carpenters beat the hell out of the truck every day. since the fix i havent had one single problem with the truck. actually i did have one. we didnt think to drain the water from the brake booster and the first winter all the water froze in the booster and it lost its brakes. quick easy fix though. anyways if i was to buy a new half ton truck i wouldnt consider any other truck. seriously just look under the tundra. the brakes are a lot bigger than a chevy 1/2 ton actually their bigger than a 1 ton chevy. the tie rod ends are twice the size. balljoints. everything is just alot beefer on the tundra. and there is no comparison on how they run. the tundra will walk off and leave a chevy truck. i raced one in my 2010 escalade and it smoked me. i was shocked because the chevy 6.2 is a pretty bad motor. the turndra rides like a truck. might not be as smooth as a chevy but nothing that noticeable. to me the tundra has every truck in its class killed. one thing you might not like is the fuel economy. mine gets about 12-13 in town and about 15-17 highway. my wife and i are thinking about trading in the escalade this coming year, and we can decide if we want a new escalade or a new sequoia
you must have been doing something wrong. I have yet to have one beat my 6.2L crew cab. I don't make a habit of it, just sayin.... I get about 15.5 mixed 80/20 city/highway. I run 91 or 93 octane only. I drive pretty conservative most of the time. the 6 speed transmission does a really good job towing.

Tundra is a little bigger inside than they Chevy. Probably more quiet as well. The Chevy will ride better though. I didn't care for the interior styling in the Tundra, but that is personal preference.

Do not get the 5.3 Chevy. I had one and the cylinder deactivation stuff was not good in mine. It drank oil and was rough shifting between 4 and 8 cylinders. This feature is not on the 6.2L until 2014 model year.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-15-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Robby. My chevy gets 16 mpg highway, which shouldnt be hard to meet or exceed. Ive only owned chevy trucks and this is my fourth, but may be my last. Near 100k they all began using oil, lost significant power, and mpg goes to crap. Interiors always seem to rattle much more than other brands with similar age.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-16-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
We have a 2010 with the 5.7 and tow package. It only has 28k miles, but for the 3 years we've owned it we haven't had any issues. Tows great for a 1/2 ton. In my opinion it tows much better then the 1/2 and 3/4 ton (5.3 & 6.0) chevy's I've used. It gets poor mileage and we baby it. 18mpg highway, 12mpg city, 10mpg towing. I don't care for the front 'bench' seat on long drives because the lack of lumbar support. Other then that and fuel economy I don't have any complaints about the truck.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-16-2012, 11:43 PM Reply   
I love my tundra. I had an 02 Silverado, 4x4 w/ the 5.3 and 85k on it. It started to have issues, so I traded it in on a 2010 DC 5.7 4x4 with the SR5/TRD/tow packages. I had it a week, tinted the windows, debadged it, then put a 7" lift and 35's on it. Gas mileage isn't great, but I'm still getting better than my 02 was. In the 4 months I've owned it I've had it in the mud and snow and its worked great. It pulls my 06 Tige 22ve with absolutely no issues, and I couldn't be happier. You'll find a lot of opinions, but I really like my truck:
Attached Images

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-17-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yeah they really are sweet trucks, but gas mileage is really bad on them. Other than that, can't beat the styling and tons of power.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       12-17-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Yeah they really are sweet trucks, but gas mileage is really bad on them. Other than that, can't beat the styling and tons of power.
You can't be serious here. The tundra is about the ugliest truck on the road, it rivals the pontiac aztec, scion xb, honda element, and the original avalanche in styling
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-17-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
You can't be serious here. The tundra is about the ugliest truck on the road, it rivals the pontiac aztec, scion xb, honda element, and the original avalanche in styling
So youre reply to a thread in which he asks for feedback on reliability is that unlike hundreds of thousands of others you personally think the truck he likes is ugly. Im sure this helped everyone.

onto the real matters, other than the odd remark I have heard very good things about tundra's, theyre strong as hell, seem to be very reliable and beefy made, and since apparently this matters, I think they look mean as hell.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-17-2012, 5:06 PM Reply   
Always loved the chevy styles the most but I want more power and durability without a diesel. Last 4 chevy trucks seem to go flat around 100k despite religious maintenance. Tested a crew max today. Oher than funky gauges the interior was so nice. Lifted tundras look mean as hell in my eyes.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-17-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
I have an 07 tundra crew max 4x4 with 191k on it. Love it! Only thing I have replaced so far is the water pump,idler pulley and alternator. Aside from plugs belts and fluid changes that is it. Knock on wood!
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-17-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Ray....what lift kit did you go with. I have mine leveled with 33s and have been toying with lifting it.
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-17-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seangriswold View Post
Ray....what lift kit did you go with. I have mine leveled with 33s and have been toying with lifting it.
I went with the BDS 7" lift and upgraded the rear shocks to Fox. Eventually I'll do reservoirs up front. I love the looks of the 7" w/37's but that's a lot of extra coin for as much highway driving I do, so the 35's do well.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-17-2012, 11:37 AM Reply   
Towing will always produce bad mileage. I am about to buy a used one with the 6 speed tranny. The 6 speed is rated for 2mpg more than the 5. There are people who claim to get 20 with this setup at a reasonable speed. I travel 100 miles each way to my lake house without a load. Any other thoughts on this?
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-17-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
Sean, how about a pic of your leveled setup? Im thinking thats what I will do if I buy a tundra
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-17-2012, 5:49 PM Reply   
^^^ that truck is sweet btw
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-17-2012, 5:51 PM Reply   
Oh ya...plus 1 more (prior to fender flares and the baked headlight mod)
Attached Images

Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-17-2012, 9:28 PM Reply   
Be carefull with lifts on the Tundra. I had a Camburg Racing lift. Think it was 3.5" with 305/55/20's. I went through 3 steering racks..first one lasted 100,000k ms, second one lasted 600 kms and the third lasted 25,000 kms. Two of the 3 failed when backing my boat up in sand ot gravel. I did some research on the Tundra forums and it seems the steering rack is really subject to failure on the Tundra when lifted. My new 2012 Tundra is stock although I may just level it, but first I will reasearch to make sure I wont loose another rack!
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-17-2012, 10:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
So youre reply to a thread in which he asks for feedback on reliability is that unlike hundreds of thousands of others you personally think the truck he likes is ugly. Im sure this helped everyone.

onto the real matters, other than the odd remark I have heard very good things about tundra's, theyre strong as hell, seem to be very reliable and beefy made, and since apparently this matters, I think they look mean as hell.
People usually only quote and reply like that to people they personally know. I bet that's the case here.

Now for your insight: way off the mark.

Most but not all of the problems in the tundra were fixed by 2011. It is well documented.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Tundra/

And plenty to read here:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-problems-dealer-service-maintenance/

And then there's Tundra Solutions, another good site.
At the end of the day I can't support a company that has a known problem with unintended acceleration and has the nerve to give their customers instructions on what to do if it happens and wants you to DRIVE it in to the dealership. Buckle up kids, lets go to the dealership! This is after they decided it wasn't floormats!
I had a faulty hood pin on my Chevy that would drain the battery if the truck sat a few days, when I called the dealership to get it in for warranty work they sent me a flatbed despite me offering to drive it in. I've owned my share of Toyota trucks over the years and their reliability these days is no different then a Chevy or Ford. 20 years ago it wasn't even close.
Old     (jbach)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-18-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmods View Post
I've owned my share of Toyota trucks over the years and their reliability these days is no different then a Chevy or Ford. 20 years ago it wasn't even close.
go slam the driver's door on a chevy with 100K and then do the same on a tundra and tell me the quality is the same.

OP, to answer your question. my '08 tundra has 100K on it with zero problems and nothing but routine maintenance. my wife's sequoia has about 85K with zero problems and routine maintenance. both get ****ty mileage and pull our 210 and my jeep and 16ft trailer with ease.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-19-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach View Post
go slam the driver's door on a chevy with 100K and then do the same on a tundra and tell me the quality is the same.

OP, to answer your question. my '08 tundra has 100K on it with zero problems and nothing but routine maintenance. my wife's sequoia has about 85K with zero problems and routine maintenance. both get ****ty mileage and pull our 210 and my jeep and 16ft trailer with ease.
Couldnt agree more. All of my chevy trucks are loose and squeeky as hell near 100k. Coworkers tundra with well over 100k miles is all tight!

That leveled look is just right for me!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-18-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
I dont know him, didn't realize that was etiquette here, news to me, just seemed like a pointless post to down the truck for some reason.
I still think that the reliability seems to be in favor of a tundra over the 1500. It seems to me that the OP is at least a bit concerned about his truck in the long run, which sounds pretty reasonably to me. If the truck you're using is working overly hard to pull what you're pulling and its also high in miles theres a good chance that something will go. A close friend of mine got to a bit over 150k before his 1500 practically fell apart, but ranted he pulled every day. But, this isnt about that there seem to be a good number of people jumping to the plate on here loving there tundras, I think one would do well.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       12-18-2012, 6:57 PM Reply   
I apologize for my off topic post.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-18-2012, 7:48 PM Reply   
here is mine leveled with 33s
Attached Images

Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-18-2012, 10:41 PM Reply   
Nice lookin set up there Sean!
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-18-2012, 11:10 PM Reply   
I have a 2010 SR5 and love it. I got he 5.7 L and have no problem towing. I put a 3" leveling kit in the front with an inch in the back.
Attached Images

Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-19-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
the escalade took the tundra from the stop light, about 2 truck length and held it there until about 80. thats when the tundra seem to come alive. from 80 to a little over a 100 it wasnt even a race. im not bashing chevrolet. hell thats all i own pretty much. but i am someone that owns both and i will say one thing the tundra is a pretty impressive truck. not really a fan of the tundra or the chevrolet interior. a few things i do like about the tundra is the ability to adjust the up and down on the headlights from inside the cab, that makes it pretty nice when you lift one, the console shifter, the back glass rolls down, the size of the cab on the crew max. and you cant forget about the tail gate, the tundra has a shock behind the passenger side tail light thats hooked to the tail gait hinge, so the tail gate doesnt slam down when you open it
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       12-19-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
^ Every Chevy truck I've been in was governed at 98...
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-19-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
wasnt a truck. was a escalade
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       12-19-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
^^^^^^ not sure but i think my caddi cuts out around 108-110. but it deff. runs over a 100. but your totally right. ive never been a stock chevy that ran over a 98 without some kind of tune on it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2012, 8:45 AM Reply   
I had a Sequoia. Loved the engine and drive train until the dealer f'upped my vehicle at 98,000 doing a water pump replacement. Up to that time, never a single problem on the body, interior or drive train.

I purchased for 43,000 and sold it for 25,000. Resale is one of the greatest things about Toytoa. I purchased my first Ford truck and and hoping for similar results. Time will tell.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-19-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
Thanks Ray! I am pretty jealous of yours. I have been toying with nfab bars and flares as well just have yet to go there.. what flares did you go with? I am afraid without going to a lift and larger tires the flares will not look right. I dig the bushwacker flares..

Chris..nice wheels You should debadge that thing!
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-19-2012, 2:32 PM Reply   
ahhh just noticed your flares in the first pic. those are what I was thinking of doing but again not sure how the will look with my wheel/tire setup
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-19-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
their the bushwacker pocket flares - i chose to leave them unpainted, but may do some plasti-dip just to try it. keep in mind that the f;ares will stick out an 1 1/2-2". i'm sure they would look good, just maybe a bit too much since it doesn't look like you have that much of an off-set. i did look at N-fab's but am thinking about doing some custom sliders w/bed protection, powder coated black. I'm pretty sure I want bumpers first though.
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-19-2012, 5:58 PM Reply   
Sean ty! Like your wheels also. I am actually in the process of powder coating them to match the rims.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-20-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have an 07 Tundra TRD with the 5.7L that just rolled over 92,000 miles this week. I'm at the point where I'm considering getting a new truck because mine is starting to cost me to keep it in top shape.
I recently had to replace the door lock actuator on the passenger door, that was $150 and fortunately I was able to change it myself. Upon searching the net, I found that this is a very common issue with several different models from Toyota, so I'm expecting the other 3 doors to stop working at any time.
Now the AC blower is going out. The fan makes noise and will lock up sometimes. I have to kick it in order to dislodge the fan so that it will blow air. Again, it's something I can change on my own but the part is around $120.
It's also time for me to change the belt, spark plugs, wires, and it needs a complete brake job. I may as well trade it in at this point. I could pay it off and keep it, but financially it doesn't make any sense considering the mileage. I wouldn't save any money before needing a new vehicle.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. All of these things are typical wear and tear items. Mechanically, the truck is sound and runs just as well as the day I got it. Suspension is still tight, no weird rattles. Gas mileage has dropped from 18 to 15, that's about the only complaint I really have.

I'm looking at my options now to see what's out there. I've really been wanting a sports car or something fun to drive, but can't justify a 2nd car. Obviously, I need a tow vehicle. This has me looking at the BMW X5. Sporty handling and can pull the boat. Just not sure if I want to spend that much. It would cost me about $10k more than another truck.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
Do it before you hit 100,000 miles because there is a price drop. Its easier to obtain financing in the used market for vehicles under 100000 so they are worth a little more.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-22-2012, 10:22 PM Reply   
A couple more questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the Auto LSD on 2wd tundra model and it's capabilities to pull boats up wet ramps? My 2wd Z71 has a locking differential and handles wet ramps well. My previous chevy had no locking diff, but would get it done despite spinning one tire.

2. Anyone have issues with VSC features cutting power on tundra after leveling kit was installed?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-25-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctxaggies View Post
A couple more questions:

1. Can anyone comment on the Auto LSD on 2wd tundra model and it's capabilities to pull boats up wet ramps? My 2wd Z71 has a locking differential and handles wet ramps well. My previous chevy had no locking diff, but would get it done despite spinning one tire.

2. Anyone have issues with VSC features cutting power on tundra after leveling kit was installed?
1. Can't comment because I have 4wd. No substitute for 4wd when you need it IMO.

2. I didn't have any vsc issues. Some do and some don't. You can have it reprogrammed if you have issues, and I've also seen where you can shim the sensor under the center console to alleviate issues.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-25-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
I've only got 52k on my 07 DC but its been the best truck I've ever owned. Leveled on 34's and 20's.

Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       01-29-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeach View Post
I've only got 52k on my 07 DC but its been the best truck I've ever owned. Leveled on 34's and 20's.

Did you drop much mpg after 34's installed? I looking at replacing my street 305/50/20 for all terrain 275/65/20 tires, and hoping meet our beat my current mpg of 15.5. Maybe the narrower width will offset the taller height on the 275. Just dont want to lose mpg with all terrains.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-29-2013, 7:07 PM Reply   
I have the same truck, different tires.

I went from 255/7018 (32.1") to a 275/70/18 (33.2") and didn't notice any difference in mpg
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       12-26-2012, 6:47 AM Reply   
I have a lifted TRD 2WD 5.7L Tundra and I have had NO problem pulling the boat up any wet ramps or anywhere for that matter. And here in N. Georgia we have some steep ramps.

I used to have a 4.6L Tundra and it pulled the boat ok but the 5.7 is so much better with the extra power.

I have not had a problem with either truck and obviously they are good trucks or I wouldn't have bought 2 of them. Of course that is subjective to my own opinion but my other truck was a Dodge and My dad had a Ford and to me the Toyota is just built better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-26-2012, 4:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Nash View Post
I have a lifted TRD 2WD 5.7L Tundra and I have had NO problem pulling the boat up any wet ramps or anywhere for that matter. And here in N. Georgia we have some steep ramps.

I used to have a 4.6L Tundra and it pulled the boat ok but the 5.7 is so much better with the extra power.

I have not had a problem with either truck and obviously they are good trucks or I wouldn't have bought 2 of them. Of course that is subjective to my own opinion but my other truck was a Dodge and My dad had a Ford and to me the Toyota is just built better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good info. Thanks!
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2012, 10:55 PM Reply   
On my 4x

1) n/a
2) my vsc works just fine, no issues whatsoever. Held very well while off roading a few weeks ago in the snow.

Fwiw- I also frequent tundratalk.net, so you can find some helpful info there too
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-27-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
I'm a little bias I suppose but I will speak to a few different angles. Let it be known that my favorite truck that I've ever owned (about 7) was a 99 Tacoma with 4.5 in of lift and 33's. I beat the SNOT out of that truck. I always wanted an old TLC so my current garage toy is a 1970 FJ40. BULLET PROOF. You could say I am a toyota fan.

Currently I drive a 2004 5.3 chevy. Its only got 80K on it, and it gets the job done but I have been towing every once in a while in my dad's 07 Tundra. My god, night and day difference in power....just on a completely different level. I've towed my boat with it and also our 8K lb camper. It's dreamy, but as others have said, its a damn gas hog.

I also had the chance, and I know you are talking 2 wheel drive, to see one of my idiot buddies take his bone stock 4wd (non TRD) tundra up a jeep trail in Western Virginia near Charlottesville. Shoe creek Trail. None of us had any idea what we were getting into and my god, he put that truck through more than any stock truck should ever see. There was just no way to turn him around and it took us 6 hours to get up the mountain. We had 5 lifted jeeps and my FJ40 and at the end of the day all anyone could talk about was the performance of his tundra on the rocks. We are talking 5 point turns, spotting, rocks the size of basketballs, creek crossings, climbs and mud. None of us could believe it. It wasnt one of those dumb commercials on TV....we had just witnessed the real deal. LOL

Needless to say, I'll drive a few different things when I go to buy new in the next year or two, but its going to be hard to pull me away from the toyota's. Resale, long term tightness, and power....I just dont think they can be beat.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       12-27-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
I'm a little bias I suppose but I will speak to a few different angles. Let it be known that my favorite truck that I've ever owned (about 7) was a 99 Tacoma with 4.5 in of lift and 33's. I beat the SNOT out of that truck. I always wanted an old TLC so my current garage toy is a 1970 FJ40. BULLET PROOF. You could say I am a toyota fan.

Currently I drive a 2004 5.3 chevy. Its only got 80K on it, and it gets the job done but I have been towing every once in a while in my dad's 07 Tundra. My god, night and day difference in power....just on a completely different level. I've towed my boat with it and also our 8K lb camper. It's dreamy, but as others have said, its a damn gas hog.

I also had the chance, and I know you are talking 2 wheel drive, to see one of my idiot buddies take his bone stock 4wd (non TRD) tundra up a jeep trail in Western Virginia near Charlottesville. Shoe creek Trail. None of us had any idea what we were getting into and my god, he put that truck through more than any stock truck should ever see. There was just no way to turn him around and it took us 6 hours to get up the mountain. We had 5 lifted jeeps and my FJ40 and at the end of the day all anyone could talk about was the performance of his tundra on the rocks. We are talking 5 point turns, spotting, rocks the size of basketballs, creek crossings, climbs and mud. None of us could believe it. It wasnt one of those dumb commercials on TV....we had just witnessed the real deal. LOL

Needless to say, I'll drive a few different things when I go to buy new in the next year or two, but its going to be hard to pull me away from the toyota's. Resale, long term tightness, and power....I just dont think they can be beat.
Although i need 2wd, thats great feedback on a tundra. Im definitely leaning toward tundra. M coworkers that have 5.7 2wd say they get roughly 16 mpg. More of my friends have ecoboosts and claim they get roughly 18 mpg, although a couple claim +20. With mpg about 2 points difference, I will likely take the tundra for its performance and toyota reputation on durability.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       12-27-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
I have had a 07 Tundra 5.7, 2009 2500HD 6.0, 2011 Ford F-150 5.0 (the ford is my work truck and I still have the chevy). If and when I buy me next personal vehicle it will be a Tundra. Just my $.02
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-09-2013, 12:42 PM Reply   
Well the Tundra is officially gone. I pulled the trigger on a BMW X5 turbo diesel. I've yet to hook the boat up to it, but I can't say I've been missing the Tundra.
This X5 blows away anything I've ever driven.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-09-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
Apples to oranges comparison? You'll miss the truck when you go to stop the boat... Mid size unibody suv vs HD 1/2 ton...
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-10-2013, 7:30 AM Reply   
Apples to Oranges, sure. Anyone with any common sense knows that. Have you ever driven an X5? If so, then you'd understand the premise of my statement.
It also may not be a 1/2 ton truck, but it also won't have any problems pulling or stopping my boat.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-10-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
I'd never pull a wakeboat with a unibody anything... but maybe that's just me... Have you ever pulled a boat your size with a mid-sized SUV before?

I don't doubt your opinion on the X5 vs an HD 1/2ton pickup in ride quality either... And no, I've never driven a BMW, much less a new X5, and I probably never will :-)
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-10-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
Have towed a 230 & 21'vride with a unibody & my current unibody on a frame/integrated body frame. Both midsize (cayenne & rover-maybe u consider mine bigger though) & both 7700 towing capacity.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       01-29-2013, 6:46 PM Reply   
Picked up my 2011 crewmax texas edition two weeks ago. Nicest truck I've owned. The power is so nice!
Attached Images

Old    Axis22            01-29-2013, 7:32 PM Reply   
I love my tundra too !!! Came out of chevy and won't look back
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       01-30-2013, 3:32 AM Reply   
Seth, that is an awesome set up. Thats the look I really want but I will likely have to go smaller due to mpg's as I usually have a minimum of 50 mile roundtrip commute to work depending on where my construction projects are. What size tires and what kind of mpg are you seeing on the highway?
Old    Axis22            01-30-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
I went with a 6" rough country lift 20" xd cranks and 35 12.50 nitto trail grapplers. As for mpg not so hot 11 to 12 around town I only drive it to work 12 miles round trip and to pull boat to lake 15 miles away that's why it's a 2008 with only 35000 miles on it
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-30-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
Nicest looking Axis I have seen! Nice looking Tundra too. Time to trade it in and do the same thing, but a black Tundra to match the boat and then you really nailed it...
Old    Axis22            01-30-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Thanks!!! yea I had the truck before I bought the boat and singleton made me a deal on that black axis at the end of this year I could not pass up!
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-30-2013, 2:29 PM Reply   
Seth, that is the best looking Tundra I have ever seen!
Old    Axis22            01-30-2013, 4:52 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot!! I am still working on her I blacked out all badges and running boards now I have to do bumpers and smoke out head and tail lights
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-30-2013, 10:13 PM Reply   
Seth, truck looks great man. I did the BHLM on mine from the tundratalk forum. No issues so far this year with moisture or anything. Definitely recommend the DIY.
Attached Images

Old    Axis22            01-31-2013, 1:54 AM Reply   
Thanks your truck look great I am on all the tundra forums I am just saving up for all new headlights
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-31-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
that's a great way to go! those are sweet lookin.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-31-2013, 6:48 PM Reply   
2012 4x4 with a 3 inch LowRange level kit with 1.5 rear blocks.
Name:  Tundra X15.jpg
Views: 5438
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  photo1.jpg
Views: 4449
Size:  62.9 KB
Old    Axis22            02-01-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
Zack that one setup you have there