Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-11-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
Is it worth placing DampRid, or another dehumidifier in the underseat compartments on a boat that is stored outside in the rain yet covered?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-11-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
Living in Florida the damp rid etc just seemed like a waste. Before I finally was able to get my boat in the garage I was looking at electrical dehumidifiers. Was going to put it on a timer have the drain tube go out the plug hole. I think that is a better solutions. I still got tons of mold issues with damp rid part of the problem could have been an old cover and also the tower holes allowing water down in.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2011, 10:47 AM Reply   
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that cat litter works just as good. Never tried it, so not speaking from experience. Don't know if it would attract stray cats from the neighborhood either. Might be worth a shot if you are looking for a cheap way out.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
A Damp rid or similar product can only absorb so much moisture.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-11-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
I have mine stored indoors in the winter and use an electric dehumidifier let alone keeing it outside. Yes absolutely get some sort of system in place. You can use rice or even kitty litter in place of damp rid.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-11-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and they sell a granule with a container that is for dehumidifying - maybe the same one. With all the rain So Cal got this past 2 months, everytime I check under the covers (I have the cloth trailer cover and a plastic cover on top of that) the deH is full of water.

So - it does work. I actually now place two of them in there - one if the bow in one towards the back seats.

Last edited by SangerTom; 01-11-2011 at 1:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-11-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
These work great for me in Florida! Even in the most humid months w/high temps, they still last a month or so. Other than in the summer, they work 2 to 3 months.

I have no mildew in my soon to be two year old boat in Florida that stays covered all week. I now have it under an awning, but did not for the first 18 months.

http://www.premiumpowersports.com/Ma...ber-p-197.html
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-11-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
That is what I'm using. They sell it at Bed Bath and Beyond for about the same price
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
i have the damp rid containers . i use 5 of them. 1 in the bow ,2 in the center seating area and 2 in the rear lockers. they sell them at lowes and the refill bags are under 4.00.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-11-2011, 5:57 PM Reply   
I've user the damp rid containers in our boat. They work pretty well, we had wet carpet from riding that day and it rained in the evening so we had to keep the cover on overnight, carpet was totally dry in the morning.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-11-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
Yes it is worth it! My boat unfortunetly stays outside covered with a tarp during winter here in Cali. Without the damp rid or equivalent it would be full of mold in no time, with it in there, never a problem. I also leave a small fan set on low running to keep the air moving around my amps and other electronics to prevent condensation/corrosion on cold metal parts.