Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-22-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
We're building a new house. and i'm interested in opinions/advice on built-in's vs. counter depth fridges.
I'm trying to get a square answer from the builder today on the size of the opening in the cabinets for the fridge. They sent me a measurement from the drawing that showed a 42" opening but the cabinet the installed is about 38. so i don't know if the drawing is wrong or the cabinet. Could be it was an "upgrade" that i didn't purchase. So far they've been very accurate on the build so far, so i honestly expect the drawing to be wrong.... I should have an answer this afternoon.
anyway... our current fridge is a monster and sticks out way too far past our counters for my liking. So i want at least a counter depth fridge or at most a proper built-in maybe even panel ready to match the cabinets.
Does anyone have one of these and have any regrets on their choice (size, layout, features)? They do tend to usually be quite a bit smaller because of the reduced depth.
We've had side by side before and don't like how limited and typically inefficient the freezer storage is on those. We currently have a samsung french door style w/the "flex cooling" middle drawer. It's cool. I mostly like that fridge but its humongous. However, w/the freezer drawer on the bottom, the kids tend to lean on it when it's open while sifting thru frozen waffles etc, and worst of all, they close it with their foot which often times dents the stainless which makes me go bat-isht. I'm also not thrilled w/samsung quality. the touch panel is flaky after just 2 yrs and it's mostly quiet except for sometimes it makes some random popping kinda noise. and of course the easily dented stainless.

oh, and yeah, i'm not interested in spending +$10k for a thermador, sub-zero, etc, but i would be willing to pay more than just a few grand. although this sub-zero is straight up bad-azz http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=124048

#firstworldprobs.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-22-2015, 3:02 PM Reply   
and as easy as that. I think i found exactly what i want. Our fridge cabinet is indeed built for a 36" not 42" which is good because the 42's are way expensive. Also, i don't have the height even for a 36" built in. (they're all 84" high, mine's 73). So a local appliance dealer gave me a good quote on a french door, panel ready, 36" counter depth Kitchen Aid w/internal ice/water dispenser.
All i'll have to do is get w/the cabinet maker to make some panels to spec. bada bing bada boom.
It'll flow nicely w/the new "espresso" cabinets, and no pesky dents from my kids, and no water running down the panels ruining them. Not to mention i'm not a fan of paneled fridges w/thru the door ice/water... it kinda misses the point.
And i don't need it for another 2 months.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-22-2015, 3:21 PM Reply   
I was going to suggest Frigidaire or Kitchen Aid. Also Bosch is nice.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-22-2015, 5:39 PM Reply   
Stay away from Samsung, after Lowes bought mine back I went with a LG counter depth french door bottom freezer... much nicer unit
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2015, 7:54 AM Reply   
We had bought and expensive GE to match the rest of the appliances about 10 years ago and was side by side counter depth - HATED IT. Noisy, not cold enough, terrible design,etc.. Just got a new whirlpool form Costco with freezer on bottom and it is so much quite, colder and better. We have Bosch dishwasher, and some Whirpool appliances now that all seem to be great. I was not ready to jump into all Samsung or LG even though they are cool looking. I am worried about long term.

Good luck and shop it to death since you have time and you will be able to shave $.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       04-24-2015, 4:27 AM Reply   
Counter depth are typically 48'' wide. We have a Viking to match the rest of the appliances . With only a 26'' depth there isn't much room in it. We have a second refer in the pantry.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-24-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
I think there are more and more 36" counter depth fridges being offered now. 48's are cool. and you can get a really industrial/professional look. but they're way too expensive for my blood. Especially Viking. You gotta have the right kitchen to pull it off.
I like some of the stuff some makers are doing w/refigerator/freezer drawers that you can mount under your counter top.
You could do a sleek panel ready counter-depth or built-in and have just a little bit more storage w/a unit mounted under an island or something. like these.