Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-18-2014, 6:33 PM Reply   
I am going to buy a dry suit for this coming spring. I would like to extend my season. I have never tried one before so for those of you who have some experience with these what brands/models work well for wakeboarding? Thanks
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-18-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
Yes, I was wondering the same thing i was looking at the O'neil reactor or hammer they are both 3/2mm. What does 3/2 mm mean? and How warm are these suits?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-18-2014, 7:19 PM Reply   
Luke - I have and love a drysuit. Baggy style, such as a oneill boost (I have a large for sale, PM me if interested) are awesome, fit multiple people, and basically just keep you dry, you need to layer underneath them though, as they have no insulation value, but you can wear sweat pants and a hoodie under them, and you're good.

David - You're thinking wetsuits. 3/2 means 3mm in the core area, 2mm in the arms/legs, thinner is better for flexibility, but is also colder. Generally, if you have a wetsuit that fits you well, it's only going to fit you, unless you have a friend that's exactly the same build as you
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-18-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercorps View Post
I am going to buy a dry suit for this coming spring. I would like to extend my season. I have never tried one before so for those of you who have some experience with these what brands/models work well for wakeboarding? Thanks
Boost is awesome. I switched to dry suits a couple years ago and would never go back. They're a little more maintenance, twice the cost.. Much more comfortable however. I personally don't find then that much warmer while in the water, but because when you are back in the boat you are dry, you are much warmer in between sets. Now I go straight from a heater top to a drysuit - bypass wetsuits entirely as do most of my buddies.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-19-2014, 4:06 AM Reply   
DC PM me with your price if you haven't already sold it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-19-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Here's one of the more affordable ones you can find.
http://www.activewake.com/oneill-boost-drysuit.html
I have 2 buddies that have them and they swear by them.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-19-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
I have an OS Systems Drysuit. It works well for me although I have had to replace a couple wrist seals and a neck. I just find the rubber doesn't last so I had my neck swapped out for a neoprene one. Too bad I couldn't do that for the wrists.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-19-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
I have had multiple,dry suits and the boost is the best in my opinion. Does not limit mobility and you can layer clothing according to the weather. Seals do have a life span and it seems like I have to buy a new suit every three or four years.

On a side note if you are going to do a lot of winter riding look into some ear protection. I got surfers ear from riding in the cold and had to stop. This year I finally ponied up and had custom ear plugs made. Best couple hundred bucks I have ever spent. Without these my riding days would have been done due to constant ear infections.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-19-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have the Ultra Bare baggy Dry Suit. I've had it for about 8 years. Other than 2 sets of seals, the thing is bullet proof. I'm 5'9" and have a medium suit, and people from 110lbs to 225lbs have squeezed into it. Best investment I've made for wakeboarding. I wouldn't own a boat without one.

I usually wear long underwear and a long sleeve Tshirt under it. Tons of mobility and not bulky at all.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-19-2014, 10:50 AM Reply   
Will a wetsuit keep me warm? i live in Canada and definitely won't do an winter riding but will be riding when air temp is about 15 deg C at the coldest
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-19-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
No one ever regrets getting a drysuit. And the best part is when you get on the boat after riding, instead of being freezing cold and soaking wet, you are actually warm, dry and likely sweating.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-19-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
Boost all yes way! Have to treat them gentle though if you want it to last! And don't go letting just anyone use it without proper lesson on how to put on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Birdman)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-19-2014, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedidonato90 View Post
Will a wetsuit keep me warm? i live in Canada and definitely won't do an winter riding but will be riding when air temp is about 15 deg C at the coldest

I was in the lake in early June last year with a wet suit here in northern sask looking into a dry suit though and try and hit it as soon as the ice comes off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkh
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-20-2014, 12:55 AM Reply   
Baggy. No question. I have a boost, a bare and a kokatat plus about 4-5 adrenaline water sports baggies for kids. The boost leaks around the neck for some people but is really comfortable since the neck is neoprene. The Bare is bombproof and I never really leak in it. The kokatat is by far my favorite. It is easier to zip up by myself and I love the built in feet. I can wear the kokatat for hours on end.

Bringing out the mittens these days

Not wakeboarding but still in the water

20101112-Y10_7368-3
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-20-2014, 7:19 AM Reply   
I am a big fan of the Adrenaline Pro Drysuits. Super cheap only $299. Outstanding customer service for repairs and new seals. Mine is like 10 years only and I will be the first tell you I dont treat it with the respect I should and it still stay strong. I left in the boat all last summer and the seals stayed strong late into the fall. A lotta bang for you buck with them.

http://www.adrenalinewatersports.com...&SubID=17&pg=0

I had a BARE before this and have used other people suits if I dont have mine. No matter what, its like wearing a bag, they suck when your in the water, but are like snowboard outer wear while your riding. I honestly dont even wear a wetsuit anymore, if its wetsuit weather I just toss on the drysuit.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-20-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
I have an O'neil Boost and the Assault hybrid. I much prefer the Assault. It's a LOT more comfortable around the neck, and it's nice not to have the baggy legs. It just depends on how cold it is where you ride. I'm in Socal, and the water never gets lower than the mid 50's at worst. At that temp, though, when I get in the water with the Assault, it's not even the least bit cold. I'd think it'd be good at least down to the 40's. I usually wear a hood, too, to keep water from coming in through the neck on bad or upside down crashes.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
Here's one of the more affordable ones you can find.
http://www.activewake.com/oneill-boost-drysuit.html
I have 2 buddies that have them and they swear by them.
Actually the guys at wakemakers have a better price (by a dollar!). Actually more when you factor in that the wakemakers crew will put out specials and such. I got mine on a black friday sale for a ridiculous deal.

http://www.wakemakers.com/o-neill-boost-drysuit.html

I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water. I have a farmer john with jacket that I could survive in down to the mid to low 50 degree water temps. I rode in 52 degree water on November 1 here in the Pacific NW and it was chilly but tolerable with neoprene socks and my farmer john suit. Getting back in the boat sucks, as the air temp and any breeze will make you freeze your arse off.

With the drysuit and some neoprene gloves I rode on 1/1/14 in 42 degree water. Had a blast but my neoprene socks weren't warm enough on the feet. I had a beanie on my head, but that was likewise an "almost good enough" solution.

So I ordered a cap and some booties so I s/b good to go.

I think that I'll love the drysuit big time. Mine is a medium and it's nice that it doesn't fit most of my friends!!! I do have one buddy that keeps mentioning that my suit would fit some of the girls and I'm just not all that excited to share my drysuit.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-24-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
I've used the O'Neill boost a bunch of times. It works great. A small amount of water seepage on my neck here and there resulting in a SLIGHTLY wet neck area on my shirt. The seepage didn't cause ANY coldness or anything, just some noticeable moisture after riding.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 12:59 PM Reply   
$1 difference isn't a lot, but if you get a discount code or they're running a sale or special it could be a pretty sweet deal. Active has no sales tax though, some people might have to pay tax from Wakemakers.
There's also the angle of supporting local businesses that might make some consider Active, plus I think you can just go pick it up if your local.

Seepage... That is a really unsettling word. I don't care what it refers to, that word just sounds disgusting. It is also never a good thing when it occurs. Seepage is bad over all. Seepage...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       02-24-2014, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
$1 difference isn't a lot, but if you get a discount code or they're running a sale or special it could be a pretty sweet deal. Active has no sales tax though, some people might have to pay tax from Wakemakers.
There's also the angle of supporting local businesses that might make some consider Active, plus I think you can just go pick it up if your local.

Seepage... That is a really unsettling word. I don't care what it refers to, that word just sounds disgusting. It is also never a good thing when it occurs. Seepage is bad over all. Seepage...
You have obviously never dealt with Wakemakers. I can't say enough good things about them. And they are partially local. They started in West Linn and then they located their factory into Bend.

As an Oregon based business, they don't charge sales tax. As far as discounts, they support the forums by offering discount codes to forum members all the time, then they run sales on top of that. They ship lightening fast and offer free shipping.

Wakemakers has tons of product info, videos, reviews, and writeups where the contribute knowledge to the community. And they have given me TONS of free phone advice on configuruing ballast, boards, and surfing in general.

So, yeah, I'm a wakemakers fanboy.

Active is fine as a local dealer. And yeah, they facilitate demo days. But the Boost is the only item I've seen where they sell it at an aggressive price. Active is cool as a local boat dealer but I'll give my business to Wakemakers every time.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-24-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
Oh, I didn't know they were located in Oregon as well. I also am a fan of wakemakers. Without them we would probably still be struggling on our surf wake.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-24-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
They boys at Wakemakers are on it. They stock pretty much everything I like to go over there just to wonder around the warehouse, if they stocked beer i might never leave...

Last edited by BenHolloway; 02-24-2014 at 9:01 PM.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-26-2014, 10:44 AM Reply   
I have the boost drysuit and love it, but am definitely ready for some seal work. Where have you guys sent your drysuits in for repairs?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-26-2014, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsnow View Post
I have the boost drysuit and love it, but am definitely ready for some seal work. Where have you guys sent your drysuits in for repairs?
Like I mentioned above the only place I have ever sent mine (twice) is to adrenaline water sports. I thought the service was great.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-26-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
Send it to O'Neill directly. I recently needed new wrist seals. It was $40 (dropped off & picked up since I'm local).
O'Neill Inc
www.oneill.com/‎
1022 Bay Marina Dr, National City, CA 91950
(619) 336-0220
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-26-2014, 3:22 PM Reply   
Don't buy one from Joe Umali, he'll hose you!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-03-2014, 10:55 AM Reply   
Woah, the pricing is way better than i thought. I'll do that andy g.--thanks for thr info.