Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-09-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
I got to ride this morning and drive/hit a few doubleups for the first time with my FAE installed. I noticed a lot more prop slip than before, and so did my driver, who is very experienced with my boat. So . . . has anyone else noticed an increase in prop slip after installing a FAE? For reference, the boat is a 99 star with an Acme 1235 and was loaded up with about 3000 pounds.
Old     (novaman64)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-09-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
a FAE shouldnt affect prop slip, it is installed after the prop... First thing I would do is check your tranny fluid level...

Last edited by novaman64; 07-09-2014 at 1:46 PM.
Old     (bbnight3)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-09-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
If by prop slip you mean that you were having to run higher RPMs at the same speed then I would think that's definitely possible. You have an additional source of drag in the water so the engine has to generate more HP to propel the boat at the same speed. It may be possible that it is exacerbated driving a double up because you're spinning the boat around forcing the engine to work harder to maintain speed and then you hit the double up putting the transom (and the additional source of drag) further down in the water. Even the turning itself may put the FAE further down in the water as well depending on your hull and ballast. I run high at high altitude (>6000ft) with a lot of ballast and although I liked the FAE for the noise reduction and CO reduction I ended up taking it off because it was affecting my performance too much. Note I also boat at a small lake so the time/distance to get on plane really matters to me. I'd imagine I'd have no problem with it at all near sea level. When I take the boat down to 4000' it feels like a rocket compared to up here.

One thing to consider though - what's your z-measurement on your FAE? Try adjusting it toward the higher end of the recommendation like 2.5 or 3". Also make sure the downpipe is tilted back and not straight down or tilted toward the bow.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-09-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
Define your prop slip?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-09-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
You mean like cavitation when accelerating rapidly or on a sharp turn? FAE shouldn't affect that as the exhaust is introduced behind the prop and by the time you turn around to cross your wake any exhaust has already reached the surface. Maybe slightly more slip in the traditional sense as people report 1-2 MPH less top end presumably at the same WOT RPM.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-10-2014, 5:03 AM Reply   
Being that memory from last year to this year is fuzzy I can't say100%, but I totally felt an increase in rpm and reduction in speed with the fae. Been over measuring, taking pics with Larry and everything's good install wise so don't know.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2014, 6:29 AM Reply   
The FAE definitely provides some straight-line drag. I need an additional 150 RPM to maintain riding speed. This doesn't bother me at all, but I was a bit surprised when I drove doubleups. The scenario: I'm driving straight down the creek. I make a quick turn to the right, about 85 degrees, heading toward the shoreline. This turn is fine. I drive straight for about 4 seconds or so (the creek is narrow.) I make a hard left turn, and begin to loop around for the double up. This turn and loop is now gnarly post-FAE. It feels like the prop isn't biting the water, like something is slipping. I lose forward drive, and have to peddle the throttle to regain it. It's almost like I picked up some debris on the prop. I guess it's possible that the tranny is slipping, and I'll check the fluid as suggested, but it just seems weird that this occurred immediately after I installed the FAE. Man, now that I think about it, I hope my tranny isn't going south. It has almost 1400 hours on it, the last 900 or so lugging around 3000 pounds.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
I don't remember what my Z measurement was, but I do remember that it was right in the middle of the suggested range. My pipe is angled slightly to the rear. Here are a few pics of the install.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...241&page=99999
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-10-2014, 3:18 PM Reply   
I have the same boat as you and had the first outing with the FAE today. A few comments:
Turning hard to port and starboard (but more to starboard) it does feel as if the prop is cavitating, the boat does shudder a little. However this is more likely the water hitting the FAE as opposed to any actual prop cavitation.

I do get a lot of spray so will probably have to fix a piece of plexiglass to the underside of the swim platform, I'll try to increase the z measurement on the FAE first but doubt it will make any difference.

I would say a slight difference to the wake, not quite as clean and I do need to go a little faster to gain the correct wake shape.

Apart from that, the FAE is nice, certainly quietness the boat down. Took a bit of time to install correctly, some missing items when received and two clips died when I tightened them up.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-10-2014, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have logged over 900hrs on my 2000 Star with FAE and can't say I have ever experienced a cavitation issue with the prop sucking air. I run the 1235 and 3k as well. I used to throw d ups like crazy, but I am getting old n fragile as are all my regular crew I drive for. We all hit up a slalom run at least once a week too with nothing crazy happening.

I did have it shift couple times out of alignment and I could tell immediately with a wake difference. There is no way to eliminate the spray under the platform. It's a small characteristic at wakeboard speeds and ski speeds. Their clamps def are cheap I have been through 5 of them as I remove my FAE every winter for storage.

I did notice a little increase in the amount of force on the wheel to go left.

Make sure your FAE is in line with you prop shaft not the rudder.

Last edited by xstarrider; 07-10-2014 at 4:49 PM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-10-2014, 7:39 PM Reply   
Check trans fluid, 1400 hours is probably getting up there if it's never been rebuilt. Is fluid dark or smelling burnt?

The creek is tight, I must say I don't miss that now that I'm dropping in at Florence on the main river. No tight turnarounds and don't have to get worn out turning around every 1/2 mile. How is Lightning Jacks this year? Did they dredge? That's why I stopped going there. If it were usable at low tide or close to it it's a great spot. They charge several times what I pay now to use the ramp and I got a 1 hour window each side of low tide the ramp is unusable vs 3 hours each side of low tide two seasons ago on the creek. A 2 hour wait if I want to ride another set is just relaxing and winding down on the water, 6 hours is too much.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2014, 8:59 PM Reply   
I checked the trans fluid this evening. It looks and smells perfect (I changed it about 50 hours ago) and the level was fine. I'll check to make sure the FAE and the prop shaft are aligned - I think I set it to the rudder, but don't really remember. I guess what I need to do after checking alignment is drive some more doubleups with and without the FAE to see if it's really causing the problem. If it is, I'll just live with it and either (1) become a better driver; or (2) become better at hitting doubleups switch, if the problem is side-sensitive.

The marina isn't dredged. The muck is as deep as I've ever seen it. There's almost a total land bridge across the entrance at low tide. The slips on the very end are still usable at any tide, and will probably remain so, because they are close enough to the current.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-14-2014, 3:52 PM Reply   
In forward or reverse? I doubt it could cause any additional prop slip while driving in forward, however with the sound of the boat being so different you might think it is causing prop slip or now you can hear prop slip that has always been there. I replaced my FAE straps with heaver bands I bought from West Marine. Mine also broke from the mount and needed to be rewelded, it was the first FAE for a 211 with the newer style of mount so mine probably broke because it was a prototype of sorts.