Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-11-2014, 4:28 AM Reply   
So I need to lift my malibu sunsetter vlx off my trailer so I can go purchase an original mastercraft xstar that doesn't come with a trailer... Wheres the best places to place straps under the boat and am I safe to use some on the tie down strap area for the trailer.... All of the weight is in the back since it's a vdrive which I think will make it much more difficult. Thanks
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-11-2014, 5:41 AM Reply   
You got any dry stack's on the lakes you go to.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-11-2014, 5:55 AM Reply   
Nope not really... I'm near lake hartwell... I bought the malibu like only 2 weeks ago and really don't feel comfortable letting it float on the lake or even taking it out to the lake yet.... I was planning on strapping it up. And lifting the boat straight off the trailer and taking the trailer to buy a 1997 mastercraft xstar for 2500. Seems like a good enough deal for me to do this for haha
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-11-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Don't feel comfortable putting you boat in the water but you want to hang it in the air???
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
You need to use the lifting eyes. That is what they are for.
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-11-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
Is it really safe to put all the weight on these? Will prolly only be hanging for about a week until I buy another trailer
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-11-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
As long at they are lifting eyes. The bow eye and the stern tie down eyes are not lifting eyes!!! Lifting eyes would be on the top on the deck and are common on Nautiques, but not sure about on Malibu.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-11-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
This is a nautique..but see the eye in the middle of the top of the closed bow…thats a lifting eye. Your bow eye where you hook the winch strap IS NOT!!!
Attached Images

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-11-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Look at the manual, it will tell you where to place the straps and how to properly lift. On moombas the bow eye and the rear tie down eyes ARE the lifting eyes. You have to use a horizontal lifting lifting bar and special slings so you dont damage the gel coat however.

Last edited by rdlangston13; 04-11-2014 at 9:18 AM.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2014, 9:53 AM Reply   
^^^Yup. That's how you do it. I've lifted many a boat just like that, including mine. Lots of them twice the size of your Malibu. Do not put straps under the boat. That's just asking for trouble. If you need to leave it for a week, I would highly recommend setting it down. You will need to build some blocks for it though.

You could always call around to the dealers and see if they have a spare trailer out back that you could borrow or rent.

I've also taken boats off trailers using a floor jack and blocks. I would not recommend it though. It's nerve racking as hell getting it off and back on.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
If you are worried about using them, call Malibu and find out what they suggest.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2014, 10:10 AM Reply   
Here's my boat when I replaced the bunks on the trailer.
Attached Images

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-11-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Call some dealers. I think both of our tow boat dealers have special built lifts and cradles for them to sit in. I looked into doing it when I did some repairs to mine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-11-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
Random thought but why not find/buy another trailer now (specifically for that boat) instead of doing it in a week and dealing with all of this?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
My 2001 Sunsetter LXI was purchased with a lifting ring option which ends up being the transom tie down hooks and a lifting ring at the front top. The front top lifting ring ties into the bow eye.

If you do not have the original paperwork I would consult the manufacturer of the proper lifting points for your specific model and year.

Why not take it to a local in-out service and have them put it on a rack.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2014, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thats a nice looking old 2001. I spend a lot of good times on those.
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-11-2014, 4:34 PM Reply   
we had to lift a buddys supra from his broken trailer on to my trailer used a cane worked great
Attached Images