Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-28-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
I went through the same run-a-round!

A class "A" is just that it lets you drive the same thing the big 18 whelers are driving (provided you can take the test with a truck that has air brakes). If not you will have the air brakes excluded on the license.

You need to have the doubles endorcement in order to tow behind the ftfth wheel.

The total length can be 75 feet if the center trailer is no longer than 28'6".

They first told me I only needed the non-com A only to find out after that one cannot have the doubles endorcement (wasted my time passing that one).
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-28-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
VC21715 No passenger vehicle regardless of weight may tow more than one vehicle , note passenger being the key word
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-28-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
A couple of other facts.
The commercial license, Class A, or 1, is only valid when accompanied by a valid medical certificate. You must see a doc and get a Physical to get the make the Ca. commercial/doubles/triples/hazmat endorsement active.
Only one of the towed vehicles can be on a ball. there is also a limit to the weight on the ball, but I can't recall off the top of my head what it is. The primary towed vehicle must be a semi-trailer, attached to a fifth wheel or a gooseneck, which are both considered permanent fixtures.
The RV manufacturers lobbied a couple of years ago to free up the restrictions on 45 ft. motorhomes in California. CHP and Caltrans got together and decided that they would allow those vehicles, on certain highways designated by the either the state, or county or city as appropriate for a rig of that size. The old term for such roads was "National Defense Highways"
Joe's oversize falls under those restrictions, although most local jurisdictions don't really make an issue of it, mostly becasue they don't know about it or have traffic enforcement details that are up on it. When involved in a racing team a many years ago, we also fought this battle. A CHP officer wanted to cite every truck/trailer combo coming out of a track one night that did not have "Not For Hire" written in the proper places/font size on the rigs.
I got into it with him, and called for his Sgt.
The Sgt. arrived, and we yakked for awhile, Sgt. to Sgt. At that time I was very much current on the law, and the officer was wrong.
The truth regarding these issues is this.
The annual update course for peace officers on vehicle code, Penal Code, and other notable laws is 16 hours a year, every year. A legal update book is about 250 pages. Those fine folks down in Sacto justify their existence by changing laws and thinking up new ones at a rate that most citizens wouldn't believe.
So, regarding towing, the best way to see if what you want to do is legal is to get a current copy of the Vehicle Code and research it yourself. If you have questions, find a knowledgeable Commercial Cop and get some guidance. If he confuses you, ask again, ask somebody else. These people are not all-knowing, or all on the cutting edge of mechanical technology. Once you have your facts straight, do not assume that they are the same nationwide. Lots of things change when you cross a state line.

Nice rig, Joe. I have a close friend (now deceased) who owned a large and well respected commercial towing company for years in this area.
He converted a twin-screw Kenworth to a single rear axle, put a double sleeper on it, a generator in it and a microwave with a porta-potty in the sleeper. He then went down to the BIT inspector and proceeded to have the rig licensed as an RV! Hot-rodded 400 big cam Cummins, 16 speed Eaton-Fuller and all. He then called up Weekend Warrior and had them special-build a 46 ft. fifth wheel toyhauler trailer with living quarters. The rig was a sight to see going across Nevada covered with murals of Sand Mountain. At around 39K total, that Cummins didn't even know the load was there. I could never keep up with him climbing out of Winnemucca..
Someday....
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-28-2005, 6:04 PM Reply   
Armydad you are up to speed STAA or federally funded highways oversize can run on . In California a 82 foot rig like mine is not legal even on STAA highways.Most CHP have no clue as to what the legal limits are or what you can do but the Truck guys in the Dodge pickups or white Camaros they now exactly what you can and cant do for sure stay clear of those guys .Pull up along side one of them pulling doubles with a dually it would make for a interesting conversation !
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-28-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Joe,
Yeah, I know some of them fellers...and most of them in this county know me. My agency is usually the one that rolls when they call for back-up..
As I understand it, the critical issue isn't doubles with a dually, it is exceeding the gross combined vehicle weight rating of the tow rig that shuts most of them down. Most pickups are factory rated at 20k GCVWR, and most folks towing two trailers are going to be right on that, especailly if they are driving a 4x4 CC dually with 4 or more folks in it.
My one pal that is a OTR owner-operator trucker pulls his litte 24 ft. fifth-wheel behind his dually and a small trailer on a ball behind that with two quads on it. He is licensed Class A, current med, and under the GCVWR of the truck, so he is okay, and legal in every respect. The truck has commercial plates on it. His truck is 10k GVWR, so it falls out of the definition of a passenger vehicle. We stopped in Truckee coming back from Sand Mountain one time and talked to a commercial officer, and he confirmed it. (He also stays on top of it by reading my Legal Update manual to make sure nothing changes as the years go by).
I, as a rule, hated traffic and didn't work it much unless I needed to make a point, or to use it as an educational tool or for some other purpose..
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-30-2005, 3:28 PM Reply   
Ok, we are now actively looking for a small Class A to buy. So far, we're checking the RV Trader and local lots. If you hear or see anything, let us know.

On another note, what does your insurance run for your RV? Is is auto insurance or home owner's?

Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       11-30-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
Renee V (litlone873) There is a lot off hwy 50 by camron park i see from the freeway. Dont know if they have a small class a
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-30-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
Renee, we insure our motorhome through GMAC, who underwrites for Good Sam Club. Obviously, the price of the insurance premium will vary according to the year and value of the motorhome. We carry seperate policies for our boat, autos, and motorhome.

When you say a "small class A," what size are you looking for? Also, is there a certain year range you're looking at?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-30-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
We are looking in the 27' range. I think that is the smallest they make in a Class A. If we can't find anything, we'll look at a Class C. I think we are looking at for between 3-10 years.

As for insurance, how many digits are we talking. I know that it will vary on size and year, but in the hundreds or thousands per month/year?
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-30-2005, 5:16 PM Reply   
I'm at work, so I don't have the solid number, but I believe we pay around $500 annually. If you like, I can send you the policies details and amount via email.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-30-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
Tim,
Thanks, we were just wanting a ball park figure so we can budget it in.

So we are looking for a USED Class A under 30ft, 1995 or newer, under $40K. If you see anything that you think might work let us know.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-01-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Renee;
I don't know you, so if this doesn't apply, please do not take offense.
If you are new the the Class A scene, and are not familiar with the various chassis they are built on or the wide range of quality out there, take somebody shopping with you who is up to speed on these matters. Tell them what you plan to do with the rig, (towing, long term dry-camping, etc).
There is a LOT of junk out there these days, all shined up and pretty in places to make people oooh and aaah, but put together with substandard materials that you wouldn't even take a second look at if yoy were shopping for your home. Looking at a coach in a rainstorm is a great thing. Leaks that are usually easy to hide are tuff to mask when it is actively storming. Many coaches out there are framed up with untreated lumber, which means when water gets inside them, they begin to rot. Look behind drawers, inside cabinets, etc. for signs of warping materials or repaired plumbing problems, and don't buy anything from anybody who doesn't have a good track record of maintanence done on the rig.
Motor homes in general are high-maint., and if they have been neglected, they can become a nightmare and a money pit...
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-01-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
No offense taken. We are new to the RV scene and are trying to gather as much info as we can. Forum's like these are a great way to get advise from those who know better.

I know that Tate has been doing some research and now that we have decided to take the plunge, will be doing a lot more before we buy.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. We really appreciate it.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-01-2005, 1:07 PM Reply   
Here is a great website for RV info http://www.campingworld.com/cforum/index.cfm?site=CWI
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-01-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
I used this discussion forum a lot before we bought our first motorhome:

http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-01-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-01-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
Grant so needs to get involved in this thread. How many LED's could you fit in one of these rigs? Pimp my RIG !!!!
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-01-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
Renee and Tate if you buy mine I can go and get the 36' Diesel we are looking at.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-01-2005, 8:30 PM Reply   
Gary,

We would love to but we need to stay under 30 ft in order to park it next to the house. Can you stick it in the dryer and shrink it a bit?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2005, 9:53 PM Reply   
Make sure you guys check the towing capacity of the RVs before you buy. I just found out that my big RV investment can't pull my new boat (capacity wise). Now I have to tow my boat with my truck, while the wife drive's the RV to the camp ground.
Despite the workhorse/chevy platform's superior numbers, the ford has a higher tow rating.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-02-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Renee,

In general and one of the reasons why I chose a class C is that finding a very short A will be difficult and if you do find one it will probably be cheaply built. All I can say, with any RV, be careful and take some expertise with you kind of what army dad has to say. Good Luck
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-03-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
I saw a pop-up camper pulled behind a boat-they had a romvable hitch fabricated into the prop guard of the trailer.I can't find the picture I took of the set-up.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-04-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
I as driving to Biloxi yesterday and I passed this rig. I thought of this thread immediately and took several pics.

This guy had a custom setup on his truck that allowed his boat to be hauled on his truck. I really couldn't see how he had it configured but it looked quite interesting!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-04-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
holy crap, that's ridiculous.
Old    benjdow            12-04-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
omg...
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-04-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
I used to carry an off-road sand car on my truck in the same manner, but thats just too wacky for me!! My car was only 1k lbs, that boat has to be 2500-3k-a lot of weight for that setup, especially traveling the distance that guy probably goes.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-05-2005, 6:16 AM Reply   
Yea, when I saw it, I almost ran off the road.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-10-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
Ok, so we did it! We bought a 1998 32' Georgie Boy Cruise Master, fully loaded (for 1998 anyway). Very clean, got the service contract from Village RV. It BARELY fits on the side of the house. We drove it home today. Can't wait to take it camping.

Thanks to eveyone for all your tips and advice. It gave us a lot to think about.

Here are some pics.

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-10-2005, 3:47 PM Reply   
that is sweet... congrats.... now time to hook the boat up and show a pic
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-10-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
That will probably be tomorrow... we're heading to Folsom Lake for some riding.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-10-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Nice,congrats Renee
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-10-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hey if you have a million dollars laying arond you can get somthing like this
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-10-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
Renee & Tate congratulations! See you on New Years!
Old    walt            12-10-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
Congrats Renee & Tate.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-10-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Awsome congrats you will enjoy it . Joe
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-10-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
Congrats!!! Good job. Its beautiful!
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-10-2005, 10:30 PM Reply   
Nice rig Renee & Tatelooks like a lot more camping in the future for you guys
Old    mendo247            12-11-2005, 2:00 AM Reply   
awesome! you guys got a very nice set up now.. im sooo jealous...
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-11-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
Gary,
We're are going to need a few Sanger decals for the new Rig. Can you hook us up?
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-11-2005, 11:23 PM Reply   
Hey Grant, last thread you showed the same pic and said "Wanna see a 2 million dollar RV "
Dam those things depriciate fast? lol

Nice rig Renee!
Its especially cool that it came with the "Ultimate Sewer Kit"

(Message edited by troyl on December 11, 2005)
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-13-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Gary, this would be why we couln't by yours... if it were any longer, we'd be screwed!

Unfortunately, we have to park it nose first making the front door facing our neighbor's yard. Otherwise, we would have had to cut the eve of the house in order to back it in.

Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       12-13-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
I bet your neighbors are really happy about your new RV.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-13-2005, 9:22 AM Reply   
Fortunately, there are several others in our neighborhood with RV's also so we aren't that out of place. My neighbor has an old 5th wheel in his driveway collecting spider webs and dirt along with the rest of his house... so he can't complain much. At least ours will move at least once month.

The only thing that really bugs me is having to walk on his lawn, in front of his window to get into the RV.
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-23-2005, 9:44 PM Reply   
Renee nice ride. Congrats. Enjoy the ride.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-25-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
Well, we took it out for the first time this weekend. We went to my Brother's house for Christmas and slept in the RV (away from the family and the kids). It ran like a dream!
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       12-25-2005, 11:25 PM Reply   
Hey Renee- can't you park it any closer! LOL. You guys really lucked out on that one!