Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
Just started to Wakesurf a few weeks ago...having a great time. I'm pretty confident that I'm using the 'wrong' board for me. Most of my time on the water is in my Supra 24SSV or a X-45 on a 4'9 Broadcast or a 5'3 Ride. I can ride either board for only a few minutes without the rope then I fall usually fall out the back. I'm 6'1 and weigh 225lbs.

Any advise as to what board I should be looking to ride. I prefer a skim style.
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       08-31-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
CALIBRATED WAKESURFING!!!
Old    surfdad            08-31-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
Mike likes Calibrated boards for a reason, they took him to the Men's Am Championship at the World's this year (congrats again Mike), however...they aren't available at retail for those of us that aren't a sponsored rider. :-) Eventually the Calibrated's will be at the top of the heap for skim style boards.

The truth is that at your size and at this time, you only have two true options in skim style boards. One is the Phase 5 Oogle the other is a semi-custom board from the folks at Walzer. Of the two, the Walzer is a better quality ride. AND they'll fit it to you.

I have to tell you though, the Oogle is 4'10" and if your struggling with the Broadcast or the Ride, you'll no doubt struggle with either of these skimstyle boards.

Have you thought about getting your wakesurf legs under you with a larger more surfstyle board? Then after you become more proficient getting the skimstyle board that you really want? Or possibly a more hybrid model like Inland's Yellow or a Trick Boardz Mojo (I think the XL is the correct size for you) ?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-31-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
I'm about your size, 6'2" and about 220lbs. One board that I ride a Broadcast 5.6, I might be able to ride a 4.9 but it would be a lot of work, you need a bigger board.

I also have a Trick Boardz Mojo XL and an Inland Surfer Red Tide. I've ridden an Inland Surfer Blue Lake demo as well.

I think the Broadcast is a good stable started board, but given a choice between the Broadcast 5.6 and the Blue Lake, I’d take the Blue.

All of these boards should be good for your size. The Blue Lake would have been a better choice for me than the Red Tide. I bought the Red because I pull a lot of first timers and the Red is a very good board for most beginners. Actually the Red is too big for my 100 lb daughter, she can't push the board down in the water to start, its a very buoyant board.

If you like a loose board the Trick Boardz Mojo might be interesting. I’ve replaced the stock fins with 1 inch fins, that change makes the Mojo very loose.

Good Luck, tell us what you end up doing.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
agree with jeff about the walzer vs. the phase 5.

the walzer was preferred on all counts. everyone I ride with has difficulty 'finding their feet' on the phase 5. also, the walzer floats better than the bigger phase 5(pretty amazing-the walzer is state of the art in regards to material and construction (it is like comparing a ford to a mercedes imo)..

give them a try~they are very good for a skim style board.

disclosure - I am a semi new rider and have tried both behind my boat and others..like anything ymmv.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys.
Mike K,
Congratulations on the Men's AM Championship.

Jeff,
Good info...I'm not opposed to a surf style board, I just thought if I had a proper sized board I would be o.k. with a skim style board?

Edward,
Thanks for you input... One ? In you stable of boards, your preference would be the Mojo over the Blue Lake?

Club Myke,
Walzer? I can't find any contact info. for them. Any ideas?

I will try to call a few companies tomorrow....
Inland for the Blue Lake
Trick Boardz for the Mojo
Walzer for the "semi-custom"
Old    surfdad            09-01-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
Shoot sean Ward a PM he'll get you in contact with Sean Walzer at Walzer Boards:

http://www.grabbagboardbags.com/contact.html

Also talk with the folks at Inland and Trick Boardz about your riding style preference. Inland in particular has the Yellow that would fit you and offers some of the ride characteristics of a skimstyle board.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-01-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
sbruns, I really like both the Mojo and the Blue Lake but they are too different to compare, I’d like to have a Blue, but I’m not willing to give up the Mojo.

The Blue Lake is a more traditional board, looks like a surf board, rides like a surf board, has a great foot pad, and has a dimple in the front part of the running board that appears to help prevent pearling. I don’t have one of these boards but it’s on the Christmas list for next year, hey, the kids have to get something for dad, why not a cool surfboard.

The Mojo, is loose, easy to break free, but took me a while to warm up to it. At first I thought the Mojo was a slower board I’ve since ridden the Mojo as fast as 15 mph – without a rope! If you not hung up on having a board that looks like a surf board and you think that you would like a loose board or are inclined to try a skim board the Mojo would be worth looking at. Larry Mann at Trick Boadrz has been offering a money back satisfaction guarantee, so at most you’re out shipping if you don’t like the board, I kept mine.
Old     (sbruns)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-07-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the input guys....

I'm going to try a 'semi-custom' from Walzer...Ordered it today.

Can't wait....