Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-24-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
I need to know if anyone rides behind a seadoo. I just sold my boat and i want to buy one to wakeskate behind but i need to know how much power is needed. im looking at one that has 110 hp. is that enough for a deep water start. its a 780 cc 2000 gtx milenium edition. ive never ridden behind a jet ski before. any input will really help. thanks again.

sam
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-24-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
you can easily ride a wakeskate behind a jetski. I would opt for a waverunner with a little more HP than that though.
Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-24-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
any experience with one. how do they ride one thing i am worried about is if you cut out in the flats it will pull the ski all over the place. i know i used to pull my 21' supreme all over the place i can only imagine with a jet ski. any other thoughts im trying to get the whole picture here. anyone know what the borderline hp would be to have enough power to get out of the water. 120? 130? 100? how about just say if youve ridden behind one and what the hp was on yours. thanks again.
sam
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-24-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Sam,

I have the 2000 GTX Millenium edition, but its a 1000 cc not 780 (135 hp). Make sure you are looking at the right ski. It pulls us around all day long with absolutely no problem (if you try to get 200 lb people up who don't know how to ride, it is more difficult). We slalom ski behind it as well, although on hard cuts you can really yank the seadoo all over the place. I don't think I would go for something at 780 cc though, simply because I think you need a 3-seater to be a good pull-ski, and 3-seaters are bigger.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-24-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
i wakeboarded behind a friends waverunner (being pulled into HUGE boat wakes in the waterway) and it was only a 800cc and a 3-seater. it pulled me out from a deep water start with no trouble at all, it did it just as well as my gp1300r actually (believe it or not) not sure as to what the hp was but its not much the ski only tops out at 40ish
Old     (wakeman21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
i have a 02 honda aquatrax and it has 125hp and I have no problems with deep water starts. cutting out into the flats does not pull the ski anywhere. since you will be wakeskating behind one i would suggest the seadoo wakeboard edition with the little ski pylon on the back just to hold the rope a little higher and it also has cool little board racks
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-25-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Get a Sea doo RXT or the Wakeboard Edition, those are the best.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-25-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
We have an RXT with a pylon. It definately has the juice with 215 hp to get you out of the water, but honesty the 85 hp 99 GTI gets the job done as well... The pylon doesn't do a whole lot besides make the doo sway more during cuts, but it does somewhat keep the rope away from the intake grate. Good Luck!
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-25-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
back in the day ... we skied behind a 550 stand up ;)
Old     (cadethockey10)      Join Date: May 2006       06-25-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
Sam,
I've grown uparound the water, but unfortunately, we've never been able to get a boat, instead we have 3 seadoo's haha. Last summer I bought my own wakeboard after bumming off of friends, and the seadoo's all I've had to ride behind. When we go out with friends the parents anchor the boats and the kids ride behind the Sea Doo's in the cove all day. They pull great, the wake just isn't there obviously.

From the driving aspect, the boarder does tend to tug the back end one way or another just a LITTLE, but it's really not a big deal. We have a GTX, LRV, and a WAKE Edition. The LRV and WAKE edition have 155 HP and the GTX is a '94 so i know the HP isn't very high at all. I'd imagine the 110 you were speaking off would work fine.

If you decide to go with something more than 110hp, the LRV's are no longer made, I believe the last model was out in '02 or '03, but they put out a bigger wake (not quite like a boat but its something decent, and it has large rear compartments that can be loaded up for a somewhat larger wake). It also is a 4 seater so there's added weight/more room there. The wake edition comes with two wake racks on the sides and a rear pilon that raises up about 3 or 4 feet(not extended out in the pictures below) from the back. Honestly the wake differential isn't big between WAKE Ed. and the LRV. Sry for ramblin' haha but I know wat it's like to not have a boat (hopefully that changes as soon as i get a job out of college)

here are picks of the wake edition, and me riding behind it, from this past weekend.
(sry about I cut so much out, the file sizes were too big)

Upload

Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-26-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 GTX 951 carb (130hp). Wakeskating is fun behind it, unless you have sliders wakeboarding would be pretty lame. I can pull my friend, 200#, deepwater on his skate with just me driving, 200#. It works pretty hard to get onto plane, but after that its plenty powerful. Another friend has a 2000 gtx millennium with the 780 rfi (110 hp), sounds like the one youre looking at. I havent ridden behind it, but would assume it will pull you (or me) out of the water, maybe not as quickly. As far as pulling the seadoo around, it'll happen. Behind a seadoo most likely you wont be edging real hard anyway, so it shouldnt be too much of an issue, a good driver can/should compensate. hope that helps