Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (river_hill)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
I want a very forgiving board that I can put a 2.5" fin on and use it for myself as I am learning and then keep on on the boat for other beginners. I want something that is high quality. I will probably go with one of the CWB Hinge Tech bindings for the ease of getting on and off. Now I just need some board suggestions.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-26-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
well i got really really mad at my fish after i caught my front edge and faceplanted and i threw it down and yelled for a while, but, believe it or not, the very next day it was ready and willing to be strapped on to again. Whattaboard..
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-26-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
id look at one of hyperlites mellower boards. my experience is they always have good beginner boards. 2.5? that seems kinda big even for beginning riders. maybe some 1.5,s
Old    joedirt00            06-26-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
New LF Stance or the Evo from the previous years.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-26-2006, 12:09 PM Reply   
2.5" finned, forgiving board?

Oxymoron?

O'Brien Clutch and Player I find forgiving, but that may be because I'm used to them. "Forgiving boards" are in the eyes of the beholder.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-26-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
clinton - thats great. i love a board that doesn't talk $#it
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
check out the cwb marius.

quote:

"Forgiving boards" are in the eyes of the beholder.

it's also in board design.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-26-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
yeah, have to agree with joe, certain boards are def' not for beginners (although some people, in order to be the best. must have them,lol). Look for rounded edges, mellow edge, maybe small molded fins, continous or subtle three stage rocker line.
and we've come a long way since we've needed 2.5 inch fins. look for a shallower longer based fin, same surface area but quicker release and wont catch like a deep fin.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-26-2006, 2:59 PM Reply   
More or less Joe... I just think that people somewhat exaggerate some stats on some boards.

Like when people come here and say "what board has the most pop?" like... what do you say? I go there and I obviously say the Natural, you go there and you say Marius, someone says something else.... it's getting silly (imo)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-26-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
In my opinion the 05 absolute Platinum which is now the flame finless or the 05 GB ricky G IMHO. But I own and ride both of these decks.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-26-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
ok, I agree with that. Can someone define what they mean by "Pop" lol. I can understand looking for a board that bucks (like a 3-stage) but you're not going any higher. There is a style of Pop not an amount. Its what works for you. A marious works for joe, a natural for aden, etc, etc. I go bigger on a motive than I do on a parks, yet everyone and their mother says the parks has more pop, thats not how it works people. sorry for ranting.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
I learned on a board with 2.5" fins . . . bad . . . I face planted all the time. Regardless of your choice of boards, avoid big fins. I currently ride the Blindside Blade (unfortunately discontinued) and it is a very forgiving board that edges very well. IMO big fins allow for poor edging technique . . . ie, you are relying on the fins, rather than the edge of the board, when carving . . . once again, that is my opinion.

Best of luck to you.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
I've put a ton of people on a Substance, and 9 times out of 10 they just feel comfortable right away. Easy to ride board for beginners, still bucks pretty good, and edges nice.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   

quote:

IMO big fins allow for poor edging technique

I totally agree.

One problem I see with people is that they don't go fast enough when they're first learning, because they're afraid of falling at a faster speed. When beginners are going slow, they actually try and turn the board and having the fin direct them, rather than using the edge. In actuality going a little faster allows you to edge easier, and learn the edging feeling; rather than relying on the fins to edge.

Everyone should learn on a roam.