Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-04-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hi,
Please help me because i want to buy a boat for this summer, but i dont know which one choose.

Tigé tell me that is boat as the better hull for the biggest wake with the Taps system.
Air nautique tells me that they got the biggest wake and you dont have to be 8 or 9 in the boat to have this big wake.
X-star tells me that they are the best on everything.

So please tell me which one id have to chosse between :

tigé 22v riders edition 2004
Super air nautique 210 team edition 2004
Mastercraft X-star 2004

1- tell me which wake is the better and the BIGGEST.
2- If you can, tell me what is the cost in fuel per hour.

Thank you very much
Your reply will help me very much
Maxime Pageau
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
You can probably get most of this information doing a quick search, as it has been covered countless times. Everyone has their wake preference, so you are going to get many different answers. You need to look at price, dealer, features you need, etc. to see what is best for you.
Old    swass            02-04-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
You might as well ask for directions to the fountain of youth.

1. The answer is WAY too subjective to be of much help. Ask 10 people and you'll get nine different answers.

2. That all depends on how much you're paying for fuel.

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
You should ask Steven Hahn (he's a member here) about the Tige' comment. He'd beg to differ on that.

As for the Nautique, it has to be the Super Air, not the Pro Air (if they still make it) to have the biggest wake. Some have cheaper (less $$$) boats out there that don't like the Super Air, while others think it set the standards.

The X-Star, well, I've heard conflicting stories. Some say it's not any better than the X-2, and other say it's the best.

My point? You're going to have to demo all of the boats several times yourself...weighted and unweighted. That's the only way you'll know which you will like best.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Also depends how much weight you are carrying. I wouldn't guess anyone could give that accurate of answer, as so many people are running different weight setups.

Interesting you included the Tige but left off the Malibu VLX/LSV and the MC X-2.

Joe, what are you saying about the comment about people with cheaper boats not liking the SAN? Are you saying only people that can't afford the SAN don't like it?

(Message edited by kstateskier on February 04, 2004)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
The Star is going to be the biggest of the boats with the most storage etc. If the wake is anything like the X-2( I have heard that it is better) then it will have a very nice wake. The SAN is also a very nice boat, but I have heard people complain about the cockpit size. I have heard a lot of bad things about Tige, the boat itself, not the wake. If it was my choice, I would have to go with the MC. It is big and very very nice. Better go drive them all though.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
My answer is always the same... If you dont test drive with the setup you will be using (ie weight, people etc), in the conditions, and the environment...

Then you wont get good idea what will work best for you.

Personally, I like to go with the dealer I like the most and the boat that has the cleanest wake.

Nothing worse than trying to ride with a wake that curls!

If you can't decide... then buy all three...

That way you know you will have boat(s) you want!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
Nick, no, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying, though people had the money, they opted for a boat that was significantly less in price than the Super Air because they didn't like it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-04-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
If you're talking about spending 50K+ on a boat then the gas mileage is chicken feed and you should search more for a less expensive boat so you can afford gas.

I feel that, for the money, the Tige is the best deal if you need a boat that does everything very well. I have yet to hear a Nautique owner complain about their boat, but I (someone who doesn't own one) think that they are too small for family boating.

To echo what is said above:
- test the boats
- like your dealer
- don't spend so much you can't afford gas.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-04-2004, 3:58 PM Reply   
talltigeguy - very true... try and start a bashing site for correct craft... you will not get any responses... no one has any complaints... that should say something for the boat... honestly... i like all boats... if it floats and has a motor... far better than sitting on shore watching everyone else have fun!
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
This is such a waste of time.
Mamama you don't buy a $50,000 +- boat when you don't even have a clue. The best boat for you depends on many diff. factors, How will it be used, number of people?, all day on the lake?, to and from your dock?,Boarding only?,experience level?, wallet size?,Bla bla bla.

Well OK the answer is Malibu VLX of course.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
Joe, didn't mean to call you out, just didn't understand the statement, thanks for clarifying.

Kyle, I have seen some unhappy SAN owners, one guy even made a webpage he was so unhappy, he has since taken it down though, probably for fear of legal action!
Old    dholio            02-04-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
Nick,
That guy was unhappy because of a couple of minor issues. It was mainly because of the service (or lack of it) that was being done to rectify the situation. He is getting an 04 SAN.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
You guages falling out on a 03 boat is not a 'minor' issue. One minor thing is one thing, but he had like 10 'minor' things. Is Nautique giving him the '04?

(Message edited by kstateskier on February 04, 2004)
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-04-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
thank you very much,
but i am not really more decided about which one choose, did somebody know what is the cleanest wake and the biggest, and if somebody have one boat that i named can he give me is comments, and tell me the fuel price per hour (wake only) if you can.

Thank you very much
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-04-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
Huh?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-04-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
Did you not read any of the messages?
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-04-2004, 10:29 PM Reply   

Two words:
TEST DRIVE

Everybody has different opinions of a "clean" wake, and each boat will burn gas differently. It depends on the size of the motor, how much weight you run, how hard you run the boat, blah, blah, blah...

Reading posts will not give you an accurate description of the function/performance of each boat. What some like, others do not. DRIVE THEM ALL and form your own opinions...
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-04-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
weird... your considering a x-star 70k plus, and your wondering about gas..... I just dont get it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-05-2004, 12:38 AM Reply   
like i said... buy all three.... then after the year is up... figure out which one you liked the most and sell the other two...

maybe one will be better than the other in fuel consumption depending on the conditions... so drive the one on the particular days which you think will be most efficient on gas...

are you could just do what most people should do...

determine your maximum price... then test drive everything that fits in the budget....

buy the one that fits you the best...

you never know... you may end up with a canoe... or you may end up with an x-star....

who knows... buy what is right for you...

or if you want to buy what is right for everyone on this discussion board...

i am sure we will all put in our requests.. and we will gladly take take delivery of the boats...
Old    xtigeman            02-05-2004, 12:49 AM Reply   
A clean wake is a clean wake. Most don't have issues with defining a clean wake except those with boats that are notorious for not producing a clean wake. Get an X-2, X-Star, SAN, SSV, VLX and etc,. and there will be no doubt in your mind that you have a clean big wake.

This reminds me of the old days when we used to see Tige' inquiries every two or three days from totally new users or the same users, turned out to be new users were smae as old users back then. Keeping the Tige' talk alive.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-05-2004, 2:48 AM Reply   
I'd go with the 22v. I have a 20v now and it's been a really good boat and having a bit more room in the 22v would be nice.

I don't like the SAN because it doesn't have enough storage room and is too cramped for me. We are often out on the lake for 8 hours (or more) and the extra room is an issue. The boat is definitely well built and puts out a great wake, it's just not the boat I'd buy.

The X-Star has a ton of room and one of the best designed cockpits I've found. The wake is big and rampy, and the boat has a lot of nice features. I wouldn't buy it because of the price.

With any boat the fuel usage will depend on how much weight you put in it, which prop is on it, and which engine you choose.

Old    ag4ever            02-05-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
I love my SANTE, but not wearing rose colored gallses to the point of thinking it is perfect.

I have used the boat some days where I burned 2 tanks of fuel in 5-6 hours of driving, and other times a tank can last 10 hours of driving. It all depends on what you are doing, and how hard you are pushing it. If you are woried about fuel cost, it might be best to find a cheaper hobby. My fuel cost for the boat is only about 1-2% of the entire cost of ownership. I would not buy a $50,000 boat based on a 1-2% factor.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-05-2004, 7:08 AM Reply   
The internet is often a sneaky, sneaky place where often times things aren't as they seem and my guess would be that I'm not sure if this is one of those times or not.

Signed,

The Skeptic
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-05-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
Kyle,

I should clarify my SAN comments. I haven't seen any complaints from SAN OWNERS. On this discussion board there has been some CC bashing, but it's usually from people who don't own one.

I think most Tige bashers are full of *&%$#, but I tend to listen carefully when someone says they owned something and didn't like it, (doug hanson). One guy on another thread was putting down the tige wake, but had never ridden behind one, what a joke! None of the guys I take complain of my wake (of course then they would have to swim to shore), and I am very fond of it.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-05-2004, 9:10 AM Reply   
Those three boats are all world-class wakeboard boats. It's kind of like a blonde vs brunette vs redhead question. You’ll find owners that love each one and there is not a bad decision in the bunch (for the boats). Also look at price, storage, options, resale value and all the other factors as well. Each have a wake that can take you anywhere you want to go as a rider.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-05-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
A good rider is a good rider, no matter what wake he/she is riding. I have had riders behind my boat (and yes, I would consider my wake to be clean, Doug obviously would not) who say they cannot pull off their tricks because of the wake. Just like I can't hit a hole-in-one because I have been using the wrong brand of golf clubs. Gimme a break. I have never been behind an inboard with a wake I did not like, but then again, I am not a wake-snob...

Point is, all of the boats mentioned above are great boats. If you are waiting to purchase a boat based on everybody agreeing on what boat/wake is the "best" then, sorry to say, you will never own a boat. Drive them all and pick a boat that is best for you...
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-05-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
ok i read everyone, i have an idea, first if i worry about gas is because it's not me that will pay the boat it's my father but i will pay the gas, and 2nd tell me just which one you choose in the 3 if you have to buy one.

Now i will know.

Thanks allz
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
X-Star X-Star X-Star

How could you not choose the X-Star

I would suggest getting the LQ9 385hp engine, or even better the L18 450hp, if you go with the mcx make sure that you have the dealer put a smaller prop on. However even with the smaller prop I would not recommend going with the mcx though, thats a ton of boat for only 350hp.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-06-2004, 2:34 AM Reply   
How could you not choose the X-Star? Easy, it's about $30K more than a Tige 22v (or more, depending on the engine and other options) and $20K more than a SANTE. That's a LOT of money to me anyway.
Old    simba            02-06-2004, 4:51 AM Reply   
Once you get into wakeboard boats, which wake will NOT make you a better rider. Just because you own a X-star doesnt mean your going to rip. of say the top 10-15 wakeboard boats, there is not a trick you can NOT pull off on one of the wakes because its "too small".

Thats one thing I dont get with people, they want the BIGGEST wake but thats not going to let u do any tricks any of the other wakes wont. I'd much rather go for size and comfort than wake size.

For instance, CC has one of the best wakes out there but the boat is small which just does not suit my needs so I wont even consider it. anyway, hope this helps.
Old    ag4ever            02-06-2004, 7:30 AM Reply   
OK, if you just want to know which boat we would buy, that is easy.

2002 SANTE, white hull with red and blue accent stripes. Hot water shower, PerfectPass Pro, custom powder coated tower (red, white and blue), FCT Racks, Custom FCT Air Chair Rack, Full Ballast, Pop up cleats, retractable anchor light, retractable bow lifting ring, picnic table, kicker stereo upgrade, custom galvanized trailer with two spare tires.

Does that help?
Old    al_kohol            02-06-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
when it comes down to it, buy a boat from a company or dealer you want to support and just get on the water and ride. All of the boats talked about are the sh%t as are there wakes, so just buck up, get the boat you want, and spend more time on the water than in front of the computer...word..
Old    tigejohn21i            02-06-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
I think you should start a new thread. Title it "Tige, X-Star, Air Nautique owner, what do you like/dislike about YOUR boat" you might get better answers than the THIS vs THAT which are usually just heated argument. Then again, it might not change a thing.
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-08-2004, 2:01 AM Reply   
If your dad is spending all of his money on the boat, and all you have to do is buy the gas then get an x-star with the L18. With the L18 you can run with 87 octane which would save on your cost. I am sure that the mcx engine will run on 87, but that engine is underpowered. If you go one step up to the LQ9 then you have to put premium gas in it. I like JohnE's idea about a new thread that would work better for you.
Old    azpowerstroke            02-08-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
I mainly ride behind a Tige21V and have no complaints. I've also been behind a SAN and it was good too. I haven't been behind an X-Star though. I 'm sure it's just as good as the Tige & SAN. I have heard many people say that they like the Tige better for surfing.(Just thought I'd throw that in there)

I'd take all three if I could. But, I think the Tige would be your best bang for the buck.

Cheers.
Old    banks            02-18-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
I will say it's rare that Tige' isn't being bashed left and right when asked a question about it. Also, usualy from what i have seen about this website everyone who rips on Tige' doesn't know the facts and most haven't riden behind one and definately haven't riden behind one with the new hull. I love mine its a 2003 21i. The best way to find what you like is to test drive and board behind it. I got mine cause its the wake that i liked the most.