Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    tonym            12-20-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
How does the wakeboarding wake compare between these boats. I mostly wakeboard and barefoot, so I think that I want to stay with a direct drive boat. The X-9 defintely beats the Nautique in storage and room. Thanks for any info

Tony
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-20-2003, 11:32 PM Reply   
Tony,
I agree, direct drive is by far more versatile than a V-drive for skiing, footing, and boarding. I really liked the X-9 when I compared it to the CC Pro Air Nautique, or the 216 as they call it now. The X-9 really shines in slalom and barefoot. Wakeboarding in my opinion was average. The factory ballast is not enough, so you need to throw more weight to really get the wake rockin, but then you lose storage. I think the CC has a better stock boarding wake, but then again it feels crowded. I actually own a Tige 22i, but it was close between all of them. I just thought the 22i did both slalom and wakeboarding great (plus I liked the storage and seating), where as the other two were either more slalom (x-9), or more wakeboard (CC). I wanted something that could do both well. I agree with your storage issue. The MC has more storage. Drive and ride behind both (also barefoot). Just my 2 cents....
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-21-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
I have a Prostar 209.. an X9 just not the graphics(click on my profile)..fullballast with an LTR 330 HP Indmar
I love the boat..It's wake is fine for Slalom, shortline through Course(28-32 off-36mph) As for footing, I haven't behind her but it is essentially clean @ 40-42...
Full balast filled with 10 people in it comfortably (I might add), the boat has a fantastic Wake board wake-17-23 mph..If i have less people for a session I simply ensure the Fuel tank is Full which makes a large difference. I like it better than a super weighted 210 I have ridden behind..
Right out of the box I find the MC more of a Total package..plus it is the only boat that can comfortably fit 10-12 people and boast not only a WWA approved world Class wakeboard wake but also an AWSA Approved tournament Slalom wake...meaning it can successfully pull wake board and Water Ski tournaments!
I love it..the only thing I will change with the next one is to order it with an 8.1L Vortec it simply for bragging rights and the sake of having one in my boat!!
hope that helps
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-21-2003, 5:48 PM Reply   
Check out the Supra Launch or the Supra Launch SS. The Launch has the best direct drive wakeboard wake out of any of the wakeboard boat companies. The Launch SS might have a little better wake for barefooting but will throw a great wakeboard wake also. Its the same hull as the SSV.
Old     (xxxlair)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-22-2003, 6:33 AM Reply   
Spicoli,
I think you have some things mixed up... the 216 is not the same as the Pro Air. The 216 was brand new for 2003 new hull, deck, everything. I believe the 216 has a very good wake for boarding and footin' but you should really demo both boats before you buy.
I'm not sure about the room aspect but I do know that w/the X-9 ballast you lose the backseat when you want to go boarding.
Finally, the 216 is WWA and AWSA approved too!
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-22-2003, 7:04 AM Reply   
I used to own an x-7, which is a smaller version of the x-9. My only complaint about the boat was the rear ballast bag, like xxlair said you lose the back seat and it's the same as having a fat sack in the rear of your boat, a pain to fill and empty.
Old     (tige22ityper)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-22-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
xxlair,
You're are correct.....I was thinking of the Air 206........both the 206 and the 2002 Pro Air Nautique are very similar in terms of size and specs.
Old    tattoobling            12-22-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
Wait a minute here. A friend of mine has an X-9 and it is not a pain to fill the ballast, unless you consider flipping a switch to be painful. Second, you don't "lose" the back seat if you fill the rear ballast. Yes, as the bag fills it will start pushing the back seat up. Just raise the back seat up on the arm rest in "sun pad" mode. If there's enough people in the boat to have people in the back seat, just don't fill the ballast all the way, only up to the point where it's up against the bottom of the seat. The weight of the people will more than compensate for the less than full ballast.

Yeah, it ain't the prettiest system but it is convenient, you can remove the bag altogether if you're not using. Like someone posted earlier it is probably the best total package if you're wanting a boat that will do a bunch of different things well. Looks pretty damn good too.
Old    moe            12-22-2003, 5:36 PM Reply   
the air 206 is also a new model for'03 both the 206 and the 216 are streched versions of the ski 196 so they dont really compar with the air/sports from '98-2002
Old    vandal            12-25-2003, 10:26 AM Reply   
Another boat I would certainly throw into this mix is the Malibu Wakesetter LX. It uses the same SV23 hull as the WS VLX so it has tremendous wakeboarding potential while still providing an incredible barefoot and slalom wake. Definately give this boat a second or even third look before you go and buy a multi-purpose DD boat.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       12-25-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
The Wakesetter LX slalom wake would not be considered "incredible" by anyone. Get a Sunsetter LXI if your interests are geared more toward slalom/barefoot, still a decent wakeboard boat. Get the LX if you want a wakeboard boat primarily, and a decent slalom/barefoot boat. The wake is very hard on the LX.
Old    tonym            12-25-2003, 11:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. How's the wake on the Wakesetter LX without using the wedge? After a hard rain there tends to be alot of junk floating in the lake we go to, which makes me worry about using the wedge.