Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    svfara            09-23-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
I finally took the plunge and bought a new boat!
I'll hopefully get some pics up soon.

Now I just need to get it from Florida to the Northeast! (the waiting is killing me!)
Anybody know a good company to ship it up with?
How much should I be paying?

I'm considering just driving down and towing it back myself... aaargh 1200 miles each way...
Maybe I can fly down, buy a truck and drive back?
Florida cars are nice, right? no rust...
Is that a stupid idea?

Anyway, just extemely excited about the new purchase! can't wait to get it out on the water!

Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
fly down and rent a ryder/uhaul one way.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 3:44 PM Reply   
Fly down, stay and ride during the winter. I'll be your 2nd/3rd and in the spring I'll tow it home for you. Your in Cali right?
Old    svfara            09-23-2003, 6:02 PM Reply   
Now there's an idea!
ride all winter, that'd be cool!
I think I would miss snow skiing too much though...
I actually live in Massachusetts, not Cali anyways

I checked out renting a uhaul, pretty pricey for a one way, would probably work out to the same cost as having the boat shipped once you figure in a flight down and gas.

Well, the boat does have a heater in it, so even if I can't get it for a few weeks, I should still be able to get a few sessions in up here
Old    dholio            09-23-2003, 6:15 PM Reply   
call a trucking company and have the boat shrinkwrapped and loaded on the trailer. A dealership down there should be able to load the trailer and boat on there and then find a dealer near you to unload it. Not sure of the price though
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 7:57 PM Reply   
Why don't you rent an SUV from Hertz or Enterprise, get a tow package from U-Haul, and drive it yourself?
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-24-2003, 7:37 AM Reply   
ooooh, now there's two of us.....

Trash
Old    svfara            09-24-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
I checked with Hertz & Enterprise.
Enterpise doesn't rent one way over state lines...
Hertz does but it's pretty pricey and no trailer hitches...

I got the boat all shrink wrapped up and ready to go, so we'll see if I can get some better quotes on shipping.
There's also an SUV I'm looking at in Florida, I might buy it and tow the boat up with it.
Sounds like a fun adventure...

Trash: I checked out your profile pic, nice boat! I like the yellow color.
My boat is completely colored, red on top, grey on the bottom & solid grey interior. As soon as I get it up here I'll post a pic.
Old    svfara            10-12-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
I finally got the boat up here today!

Tomorrow I will clean it up and get it all set for the water! (hopefully have to time to take it out too!)

With any luck I will also have pictures to post.

So I was feeling like an adventure and opted to buy a car in Florida and drive it back up to Mass towing the boat :-)
Everything actually worked surprisingly well:
Flew to Tampa Sat AM with a good friend
Checked out a Jeep Grand Cherokee I had in mind, everything checked out, so I bought that.
The we drove to Orlando, pickup up my boat and started heading north by 3pm.
We arrived back in Mass. 4:30pm today (Sunday)

That was a fun little weekend adventure, glad everything worked out!

Old    absolutofft            10-12-2003, 11:15 PM Reply   
I heard that svfara uses a mastercraft hull, is this correct? They sure are a nice looking boat, but kind of pricey, at least here in canada.
Old    svfara            10-13-2003, 7:14 AM Reply   
Aaron,

No, they do not use a matercraft hull.
I think the rumor started because the hull has the same dimensions as a Mastercraft X-5 (19'8" 85" beam)
As for the price, I thought it was pretty good, especially considering the high level of quality (best fit & finish of any boat I've seen)
Cheaper than a Mastercraft or Nautique also
Old    chrispy1            10-13-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
your adventure sounds like mine. We bought a boat in FL, and we line outside Phila PA.
A friend of ours was towing his boat down to Fl for the winter and leaving it there. So my dad flew down to FL, met his friend went over to the boat , bought it , and is now in the process of driving back :-)
Old    svfara            10-14-2003, 6:04 PM Reply   
OK, lets see if I can post a picture of the new boat (hopefully it works)

Svfara