Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-15-2018, 5:30 AM Reply   
On the one hand we have bleeding heart liberals arguing that access to military grade weapons should be restricted.

On the other hand we have second amendment defenders arguing that this is a mental health issue, not a gun issue.

I know that the bleeding heart liberals have suggested restrictions on access to certain weapons and parts. What have the second amendment defenders done to address the mental health side? Is there an expansion of public mental health treatment being advocated that I'm unaware of?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-15-2018, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
On the one hand we have bleeding heart liberals arguing that access to military grade weapons should be restricted.

On the other hand we have second amendment defenders arguing that this is a mental health issue, not a gun issue.

I know that the bleeding heart liberals have suggested restrictions on access to certain weapons and parts. What have the second amendment defenders done to address the mental health side? Is there an expansion of public mental health treatment being advocated that I'm unaware of?
Yes and for a while. The problem is a lack of mental health professionals. You can fund all you want but if there aren't many entering the field as mental health professionals then there isn't staff available. It takes 12 weeks to get in with a mental health facility & that's IF their even accepting new patients. Vast majority won't take medicaid, Gov mental health services are just as backed up & have long waiting lists.

In this case though, people were warning the FBI, the school, local police & no one listened or did anything about him. Lots of blame to go around. The push right now should be to make it a little easier to 5150 someone especially when their making violent threats & have them evaluated.