Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-14-2009, 10:28 PM Reply   
Currently I have an acme 275 13.5 X 17.5 1.125 prop on a supreme V232. I have the 330hp black scorpion, and it's not doing too well out of the hole with some extra ballast, not well at all.

I would like to run about 3K worth of ballast. Bill at acme has recommended a 1579 13.5 X 14.25 VL4B 1.125 .105 cup four blade.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience with this prop, or any other thoughts. I also saw that the 1465 has the exact same specs on their site?? Also where is a good place to buy? Would be nice if I can order it very soon to have by the weekend.

Thanks much!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-14-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
Bill is a genius, whatever he recommends will be golden.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-15-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
sounds like a stump puller
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-15-2009, 11:46 AM Reply   
I know Bill is trying to sell you a new prop, but pitch down your stock by 2 degrees. You'll get VERY similar performance characteristics. Call Bill and ask him, he'll tell you the same thing.

I read these posts all the time and just dont; get why people dont; thnk you cant' cahnge up yoru stock prop? Do you have no prop repair places?

If you want a spare prop, buy the "upgrade" , but if you wanna save some cash keep your stock and re-pitch.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-15-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
I'm sure Bill will give you a speil about how ACME are CNC'd and you won't get the perfect spec...yada, yada....it doesnt' matter, a good shop will get it right. You also dont; need ACME pitch blocks to re-finish one of their props, like they will have you belive. .
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2009, 11:57 PM Reply   
I had my ACME repitched and it destroyed the prop. Vibrated, made noise, and cavitated after it was done. Although it was polished and looked purdy. Sold that prop for barely more than I had into the re-pitch job.

Since then I have had 6 other brand new props on my boat. Wakeboarding and barefooting are a tough combo when it comes to propping the boat.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-16-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
^^ I have never re-pitched an ACME, but have repitched an OJ. No issues. Even with pitch blocks there's still an art to it. The guy I use has been doing it for longer than I've been alive.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-16-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
OJ blades are both thicker and softer than ACME. I sell both. For those on rivers and those who need to have frequent repairs, OJ is the way to go. ACME is thinner and a bit more brittle. Great efficiency, but they are not as easy to get right on repair. Even the best rebuilders will not be able to get it exactly right - ask for a warranty and you will not likely get one.

Re-pitching is a gamble. You will likely end up with a good prop, but there is a significant chance you will end up with scrap. You have to figure your risk tolerance.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-16-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
"Wakeboarding and barefooting are a tough combo when it comes to propping the boat."

You got that right!!!!!!!!
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       09-16-2009, 8:59 AM Reply   
My 220 is also a dog outta the hole. Same engine. A lot of weedy lakes by us and it seems my old boat with the 3 blade has hole shot and clears the weeds almost instantly. I may try a 3 blade prop?
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-17-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
Picked up the prop from skidim.com Free shipping, no tax, and they are running a 10% off.