Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-27-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
So far I bought...
-Monster Tower MT1 (on the way)
-Wet Sounds Pro 80's
-Wet Sounds WS420
-Kicker zx650.4
-2 Monster Tower board racks

What gauge wire do you guys recommend using?

What kind if RCA cables are people running? Do you really notice a difference in sound quality the more expensive they get?

I want to have the quickest connect/disconnect possible for the Pro 80's...should I run banana plugs? Is that the best way?

I am putting all of this on my MC Tristar and I want to do it all right the first time, so I am not upgrading every other year. Any input from those who have been through this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-27-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Nick, I'm a dumbell when it comes to stereos, seriously stupid so I have no input other than give me a tow when you're done!

You might want to post this on the MC Teamtalk site too, I know there are a couple of stereo junkies over there.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-27-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Don't the Pro80s come with neutric speakon connectors?
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-27-2008, 4:29 PM Reply   
mine came with the quick connect speaker wire terminals. check with tim on wire size. He will tell you as large as possible.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-27-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
12 gauge speaker wire would be ideal, but it'll be a PITA to fish through the tower. I'd say a 16 gauge minimum.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-28-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
^^^2nd,,,,I use 16 with a pro audio set up and it's great.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-29-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
The bigger the better.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-29-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
This is the the wire I used on my 4 speaker tower set up.They also have Neutric Speakon connectors and will assemble and heat shrink speaker snake at the lengths needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Horizon-Speaker-Snake-Cable-13-Gauge-4-Ch-8-Conductor_W0QQitemZ250224207098QQihZ015QQcategoryZ 41462QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksi dZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on December 29, 2008)
Old     (angelo_ski)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-29-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
Nick,
I installed a Monster on a Fish-and-Ski boat that I had several years ago. The one piece of advise I could give you is to verify that you have adequate thickness of the fiberglass where you intend to mount the tower. I didn't and had to have someone do so glass work done on the underneath side of the mounting locations to reinforce. They have the manuals on-line, so that you can check before you get all the parts. The directions are very clear and when I had little questions, there customer service was helpful. Purchase new drill bits for all of the holes. Also make sure you have a buddie to help. I did and we knocked the tower project out in about a half day.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-29-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
x2 on the new drill bits.The small extra cost is worth it to keep from messing up a $1000.00 tower.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-29-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great help as always...I am contemplating getting my tower installed and wired professionally. I was quoted $600 for the install and to run 12 gauge to my Pro 80's. For those of you who have done the install and wired your towers, do you think that is money well spent? I am not sure how much work I am in for, I have never done anything like this before.
Old     (angelo_ski)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-29-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
If that's the price to do everything, I would say that is pretty good. Now by everything I mean the Tower and the full stereo install (Amp, wires, power, connecting into the head unit). Then the question comes down to what is more valuable to you, the time or the money? I thought the tower install was not too bad to do on my own. I hooked up speakers, an amp, light bar and fully re-did the interior speaker set-up in my first boat. Did not have time to do the install on the current boat so I had someone else do it. That turned out to be a good decision because the installer had a hell of a time with putting the system together and probably lost money. Your system looks pretty straightforward. If you have the time, I would say go for it.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-29-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
That price was just for the tower mount and running wire.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-29-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
nick I think you answered your own question...you said "I have never done anything like this before"...do you want to practice on your boat?

if you have the money pay someone who has done quite a few and will do it right and clean.
Old     (angelo_ski)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-30-2008, 9:07 AM Reply   
Nick,
Even for the tower and wire, they are not trying to screw you. Andy does make a good point, but there also has to be a first time for everything. I had never done anything like it before, but was successful in putting it on the boat and running wire. If you take your time, measure things out you can do it. You will have learned something new and will likely impress your buddies as a result.