Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
here is a Utube video of the sequencing trailer lights I installed.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4cARz9ABSBI
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-05-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
That's pretty sweet. Now you just need the light up wands.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Very cool G. I'd slow down the path a bit but just the way they are looks good.
I think you'll be able to see those through the water without too much trouble.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-05-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
Very nice, i like you Gypsy.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-05-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
That's teh Hawtness!! Nice work as always G
Old     (trevorg7)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-05-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Pretty cool G

T
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-05-2008, 9:27 PM Reply   
Grant,
As always I am envious of your work. You bring a whole new level to the boating community. Keep up the good work.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
Art. I slowed down the sequence but IMO It didnt look as good. When you slow it down there is a longer time in between light flashes so it's not as bright because only one light is on at a time.
If you look closely at the video you can see almost 4 lights lit at one time.
Hate: LOL I saw Borat last night LOL.
Cory: Thanks Im pretty sure this mod has been done before. It's nothing new. I just wish more people would take pictures and share their project's. Im sure we would all be suprised at what people have done to their boats. }
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-06-2008, 12:10 AM Reply   
Nice work, looks awsome. Are those going to be bright enough to see in murky lake water? Not hating, justing thinking out loud.
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-06-2008, 6:00 AM Reply   
That looks awesome G.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       12-06-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
very cool.

anyone else think of knight rider when they saw that?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-06-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Looks awesome, great job. Thanks for sharing!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-06-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Hell yeah it's Michael Knight approved!

Upload
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-06-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
the lights look stellar man.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-07-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Wow, that looks sick, should be a factory option
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-28-2008, 2:35 AM Reply   
G, where did you get this kit? Smoothwatersports? They don't list it but I've seen someone say that's where it came from.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
The light's and the sequencer came from Owl Lighting.com The water switch came from another place. Do a search there is another thread I started in this fourm called "Trailer Bling" it show's pictures of the install and has the name's of the company. Hit me up if you need any tips for installing the kit
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-28-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Thats awesome, I am impressed!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-28-2008, 3:37 PM Reply   
Thanks G, I've seen the build-up thread and I emailed smoothwatersports about it. I'll look around some more tonight.

The only thing I'm curious about is that my trailer is tubing instead of a c-channel like yours. I guess what I'd do is drill holes in the trailer to run the wires, then seal the holes up with silicone. I'd be concerned that water would get in the holes if they weren't sealed up good enough. Have you seen anyone do this install on a closed tubing trailer?

I haven't said it yet, but your work is awesome!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
John Thanks:
Hey you bring up a instrenting topic that I haven't seen talked about here yett. Closed tubing trailer's.
There is 2 ways you can do this
#1 you can take angle iron and bolt that to your trailer. The LED lights and the wire that powers them can be secured to the bottom side of the angle iron. This is kind of how I did my trailer but instead of using angle Iron I just used metal strip's and then bolted them to the trailer.

#2 You could run all the wires inside the tubing. That would be a pretty fun istall. You better be good at pulling wire. Then comes the question about the holes that you put in the trailer for the lights water is going to get in the trailer tubes. You would have to drill holes all around your trailer so that the water can and will drain out.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2008, 4:50 PM Reply   
The orignal trailer thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/648532.html
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-28-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
#1. I had considered that. Making the strips just as you did, then welding them on from front to rear. Then paint the trailer, but the cost of all of that would be ridiculous.

#2. That's exactly what I was worried about. My last boat was a 2005 Baja 25' Outlaw, and it had the aluminum swim platform. Evidently water had gotten into the tubing and over the course of the winter, the water froze and the tubing cracked. I could drill a large hole at the end of the trailer to drain out, but I don't know. I don't think fishing the wire would be too bad with a large hole in the back, just time consuming.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-28-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
white chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!

your outta control

looks awesome!!!

got your message a couple weeks ago and yes i am interested,you must have bumped your head under that trailer
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-29-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
How much doe do you have to shell out to do this project?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-29-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
Matt: The Sequencer is like $100 and depending on how many lights you run. I ran 40. Depending on what you pay for the LED cluster lights it can get expencieve. Owl sells them for $15 each "Ouch". Im sure you could get the same effect with 20 LED's. I saw what looked like the same lights "4 light LED clusters" on E-bay for $17 for "5" of them so you could get this kit for under $300. The water switch was like $50 and I had like $100 in to the materials to put everything together. The metal, wire, stainless hardwear ect. So when you put everything together you could blow $400 no problem. Plus you have to install it.