Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (ivectoryou)      Join Date: May 2007       12-28-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Hi.

We have a 2001 Prostar 195. I just bought my girlfriend 4 Wetsounds 650's (6" round in-boat speakers), a Wetsounds Syn 4 amp and the Wetsounds E.Q./PA. Our plan is to replace the four stock speakers in the boat and maybe add some tower speakers later.

I think it would be a good idea to have a second battery to avoid getting stuck out on the lake with a dead one after hours of listening to tunes while anchored.

My question is...is there a way to have some sort of switch that would allow us to switch between the two batterys when necessary? I really don't want to mess with pulling cables if I can avoid that.

Wouldn't mind hearing how some of you address this issue.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-28-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I'm not positive, but I believe that the switch in my boat was made by Perko. Im not positive, and the boat is in storage 20mins away.

As for batteries everyone at the stereo shops say Optima is the way to go. I have two batteries, but im thinking about adding a third for longer stops with the stereo going.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-28-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Pretty standard battery switch used on boats.

Upload
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-28-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
http://surepower.com/separator.html

My company sells these. I have sold a few to people on wakeworld. They are really easy to install, not much more than a perko manual switch, there is no voltage drop like an isolator and it gives charging priority to you starting battery so you don't get left high and dry. If you have an questions send me an email to the email in my profile.

Why mess with having to remember to change a switch when you can have something that does it all for you automatically.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-28-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I am adding a second battery to mine because I am going to be running 3 amps (sub, in boats, tower). I plan on adding the Perko switch shown above. My parents have one on our houseboat and it works perfect to separate the starter from the cabin accessories. Just to be on the safe side I am going to add a bigger alternator and carry my marine jump starter in the boat. Nice choice on the Wet Sounds by the way...you will be in the market for their tower speakers before you know it.
Old     (ivectoryou)      Join Date: May 2007       12-28-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great advice everyone (as usual). When I install a second battery, I'm guessing there is some sort of bracket I can purchase to mount it near the first battery.

The first battery goes down in a cut-out and sits about 3/4 countersunk, but the second one will obviously sit up higher.

I would appreciate a pointer to a good website or store to pick up a battery mounting bracket.
My apologies for being such a novice in this department.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-28-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
Just add an extra sealed battery like Kinetic or Stinger, then add a Stinger 200A isolator to keep the stereo from draining the boat battery. The Extra battery will only run the stereo. When the key is turned on, it'll open the circuit to charge the extra battery.