Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2008, 12:57 AM Reply   
Ive got any old 82 ski supreme, which throws a bigger wake that anything ive had before. (bass boats and fish and skis)

Im considering fixing up my old i/o with a 4cly, that has a deep V hull. I just have to replace the floor, so i havent driven it yet.

Will the I/o with a deep v throw a larger wake than the ski supreme?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-19-2008, 1:05 AM Reply   
4 cylinder will not be strong enough to produce any sort of satisfactory wake...
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-19-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Jonny,

What does the 4cyl have to do w/ it...?

I had a ski supreme once.. it wouldn't throw a wake for nothing... excellent ski boat though.. There are several I/O out that throw a really nice wake... My guess would that it would be better.....
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-19-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
Depends on the shape of the I/O , some hull shapes of I/O actually throw a nice wake when weighted properly . The 4 cyl will hurt you a little but if you prop it right and throw some weight in it , it may give you a nicer wake . How much weight you runnin in the Ski Supreme ?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-19-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
I had a 17' I/O with a 4 cylinder that threw just as good of a wake with maybe 250 lbs in the bow and a couple people, than the 92 PS190 I replaced it with running about 1800 lbs (any more and it would've sunk). It took forever to get on plane, but once you were going the wake was good.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2008, 11:01 AM Reply   
My 18' I/0 with a V6 put out a bigger wake than a buddy's Ski Supreme from the 80's - can't remember the exact year - guessing 1988
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
It just goes to show you that wake size is all perspective. You guys are debating wakes kicked out by ski boats. Every one of them were designed to have very little or no wake, especially the Supreme & MC.
The bottom line is to get a big wake, regardless of hull shape, you have to have hull in the water, and weight in the hull to get it to sit down in the water. The 4 cyl will have such little power that it will take forever to get on plane, if it ever does.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-19-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
It really depends on the I/O and the 4 cylinder. As long as you're not sacking up to the rubrail, a 4 cylinder can at least get you up to wakeboard speeds. You probably won't be installing a barefoot boom any time soon though.
Old     (smknsmly)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
I haven't tried weighting in down yet. I may check it out this weekend. Ive got one fat sack that i estimate is about #300-400.

I thought since the i/o had a deep v it may throw a bigger wake. I think the power could possibly be an issue. Although, I have ridden behind a '60s ski boat with a 48hp when i first started.

I'll put it in the water and check it out next week. I may just sell them both and start hunting for a SN 2001. Thanks for the input guys
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-19-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
a 4 cylinder is weak in any application is what i was saying... what maybe 120hp at the most? the supreme would maybe have like 200+ so in essence be able to produce a better wake should you add some more weight vs the 4 cyl
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-19-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
not so sure I agree with u on that one. A wake isn't all about how much weight u can fit in the boat. My 2001 throws a hell of a wake with very little weight, when some boats could be nearly sunk and still have a ski wake. And i'm not even going to get into the shape of the wake.
Old     (msturner79)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-20-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
I've got an '88 Wellcraft I/O that we dropped a small block V8 into. w/ a 25 pitch prop. It throws a monster wake, way bigger than the old 4 cyl that was in it.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-23-2008, 7:01 AM Reply   
daym ,, ,Runnin a 25 ... Bet it takes for ever to get out of the hole !!!