Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old    wakeboardpunk17            03-30-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Hey I was at the Standerd release party last night and I heard Tino got dropped by LF...why would they do that. He was kinda under the radar for a bit but still riding pretty well I thought. Any word as to if hes gunna sign with anyone else?
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-30-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Thats news to me, he was a sick rider, I only met him once and didnt get that good of an impression. but Ive never actually hung out with the guy
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
His part in Truth is the BEST!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-30-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
His profile is still up on LF's website...

And I just found out something really cool.

His "home" is in Littleton, Colorado. That's where I was born! Wooo!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2008, 11:56 PM Reply   
i hear gator's trying to lure him in.
Old    110outlet            03-31-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I could see how Tino might have felt burned by LF, Henshaw is getting all the love with a pro model. But there is a pattern happening with who ever wins the King of the wake, they seem to disappear after that.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-31-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
his part in the truth was sick.
HUGE melan frontside 180!
and his spins look so sick.
it was short though and he didnt even get a section in relentless. it kinda seemed like he wasnt there top priority
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-31-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
His truth sectoin is SICK!!! Hands down the best section in the whole movie. The Slo-mo hs 9 at the end is unreal, you really get to see just what it takes to stick a heel nine off the wake.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-31-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
he used to ride on Caddo Lake a few years ago. I think his Dad had a place out there. Seemed like they had him waiting in the wings for a while.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-31-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Tino is an amazing rider and whoever he gets picked up on he will shine with, i think he left them, not the other way around
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-31-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
but yeah it is definitely a slap in the face for him for them to give henshaw a board and not him
Old    benj_t            03-31-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
he has a new vest with LF for 08
Old     (bouvs)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-31-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
What about Collin Harrington?? The guy is amazing, and he doesn't have a signature board or vest or anything. Not taking anything away from Henshaw, the kid rips. The Liquid Force talent pool is pretty deep, pretty hard to give everyone a pro model board.
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
tino is sick no matter who he rides for... who cares if he gets a pro model or not.. and i agree about collin harrington he deserves a pro model for sure
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-31-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
First I want to start off by saying that a number of companies in our industry have made budget cuts for 2008. Unfortunately the sport that we all love and participate in, is not recession proof. I know boat companies and board companies alike have taken a hit as a result of our economy.

With that said, Tinos talent is unquestionable. But it really comes down to a few simple things for any professional rider:

1. Tour Placement (a lot of sponsors want to see you on the podium)
2. Pages Published ( Sponsors want to see their athletes getting coverage in the mags and videos)
3. How well you present yourself (Veterans like Murray, Cobe, Byerly etc. have been selling for years. Many young riders are just now figuring out that sales is a big part of being a pro athlete)

I think Tino got the short end of the stick. I personally didn't see much of Tino in the mags or on the podium last year. I believe it was due to an injury and rehabilitation. I'm sure it was difficult for Aaron and LF to let him go. I know wherever Tino lands, that he will make a big impact for that company. It's my understanding that Tino's been riding stronger than ever!

I guess the only real question here is who will he ride for?
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-31-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
Its weird, to me its seems like LF are just throwing out pro models like its nothing in my opinion. Dont get me wrong Lyman and Henshaw are 2 of my favourite riders i just think that companys shouldnt give pro models out so easily, fine...shane, watson, soven have been on the team for along time and they deserve it for staying faithful and riding for lf for many years and showing that they deserve pro models. Lyman has only recently just joined lf and is definatly the number one person for a pro model but why all so soon?. Henshaw, great rider...but only recently after he got his first pro model was when i really heard about who he was, before that...how many pictures, interviews, videos has he been/seen in probably not alot. I just think riders should do a bit more than be on the team for a few years to get a pro model.

peace
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-31-2008, 4:27 PM Reply   
it would be sweet to see slingshot pick up tino, ive seen tino at rail jams so the whole freeride board could be good for him? maybe? just a thought
Old     (funkyhomosapien)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
Surprised to see this thread. Kid def rips. His section in the truth was the best in my opinion. He seems to get coverage from what I see. He also has 2 national titles. Some company will be amped to pick him up. If not, go back to CO and tap the rockies on a snowboard. Sounds like a good back up plan to me.
Old    wakeboardpunk17            03-31-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
Hey Umali were you serious about gator trying to take in? Im not trying to bash Gator but I just dont see Tino really fitting in with those riders. Its not that he couldnt hold his own with those guys but its just a completely different scene...horrible example but I look at it like how west coast rappers and east coast rappers used to be hahah just two completely different groups with the same passion. Maybe Im wrong but I cant see tino with gator not that theres a rivalry or anything I just dont think hed fit in. I could see maybe Obrien or Slingshot picking him up, it'll be interesting to see who he ends up with...Andy let us know if you hear anything from Obrien haha
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-31-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Company Wake all the way!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Board Co. budgets are already set for 08, so the timing is bad, but Tino is a big time talent, he should have no problem getting hooked up.
Old    benj_t            03-31-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
yo toby yeo,
keith lyman is like LFs sickest rider
i think lyman definetly deserves a pro model
and its like the sickest board ever!!
haha sorry i forgot this was about tino
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-31-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
Daaaaaviiiid!
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       03-31-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
Liquid force has always had a ton of pro riders on their team. They are probably going to be feeling the pinch in the next couple of years with the economy. I would bet most of the wake companies will be cutting down on the number of riders they support.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2008, 12:11 AM Reply   

quote:

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:38 pm:

Company Wake all the way!

he'd feel right at home.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-01-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
hahahahahha company wake....
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-01-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
uh lyman definetely needed a pro model. Before his, he broke every board he touched
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
watson and shane dont really deserv pro models any more, when were they last on podiums?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-01-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   

quote:

By wakeboard2escape (wakerpunk) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:57 pm:

uh lyman definetely needed a pro model. Before his, he broke every board he touched

does that mean that since the board he rides now is a pro model, that he will no longer be breaking boards?

all pros break boards, whether it's a signature board or not.

quote:

By shane mckenna (mckenna) on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 5:34 pm:

watson and shane dont really deserv pro models any more, when were they last on podiums?

when was the last time murray or byerly got podiums? not dissin' on murray or byerly but they have pro models because of what they've done for the sport and what they will continue to do, not necessarily what they've done or will do in comps. same goes for shane and watson.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
shane just landed a toe back 7 at the double or nothin not too long ago and took best trick. He kills it
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-01-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
i agree that they are both sick riders, reading through this thread the argument seemed to be u need to be on the podium to keep your sponsor happy.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-01-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
Not only are Watson and Shane sick riders (despite a lack of podiums), but they are two of LF's most widely known riders. Their equipment sells just because of the name.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-01-2008, 5:54 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure if anyone got a chance to talk to tony finn that he could go into detail about how happy he is to have shane and shawn on the LF team. Sometimes it isnt about how many tournys youve won its about what you do for the sport and your company. Correct me if im wrong but Watson has one of the best selling pro models from LF. Soooooo why would you wanna take away his pro model just because he hasnt placed in events lately. It kinda blows me away at how much negativity some of these threads have had lately. Enjoy this S@#t thats what wakeboardings here for. Its a lifestyle not a competition
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-01-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Shane, think before you type..
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-01-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
best 6 words ive ever read on this forum dave! its a lifestyle not a competition!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-01-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Quote: Umalia, "when was the last time Murray or Byerly got podiums" 2007 WWA Nationals Murray 2nd, 2007 Wake Games Murray 3rd. Not bad for a guy 30 something.
Old     (smwake)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
What about Collin Harrington....That dude kills it on just about everything that has to do with water. He has paid his dues as far as the sport it concerned...Another thing is LF giving Ennen the press board before C Dub who kills every rail he hits!!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-01-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
If you read my post correctly, I said "a lot of sponsors" not all of them want to see you on the podium. Both Watson and Shane have ads and photos just about every month in all three major periodicals. Plus, if you've ever met Shawn or Shane at a boat show, both are always in the shop booths selling the crap out of their products.

Salesmanship!
Old     (gdawg)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Look at the Cover of Wakeboarding Magazine. It's Watson on his board in freaking Dubai... He is a sick rider and a great guy and if being on the cover of one of the most read wake magazines killing it on your pro model doesn’t sell boards I don’t think anything is going to…
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
"Lyman has only recently just joined lf and is definatly the number one person for a pro model but why all so soon?."

To (sort of) quote Zoolander: "Lyman's so hot right now he could take a crap, wrap it in tinfoil, put a couple fish hooks on it and sell it to Queen Elizabeth as earrings."

In all seriousness, most everyone wants to be able to ride like Lyman. Including myself. Why not give him a pro model, especially if everyone will buy it? It's a business after all...