Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-11-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
I am 5'10" and weight about 180-185 lbs. From the charts I have read it seems I can do a board around 134-139. Does that sound correct, or should I read each manufacturers board info to see if it applies.

I have noticed while comparison shopping the weights aren't usually listed so I have to do some extra searching.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-12-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
I am about the same height and weight. I find that it varies from board to board, even within the same manufacturer. I can ride a 137 on one board, but then need a 140 on another. The sizing charts are a good starting point, but for me it comes down to personal preference for how each individual board rides.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
......I def would not ride a 134 at that weight (although I am sure some do)...you can ride a 134 but I think you will find a larger board so much less work and smoother to ride. Like richard said even the 140 range is a possibility for you. I am 150 and ride the marius 134 but it is superwide...now I am going to the 139 lyman. One of our riders rocks the 2006 substance and he flies with his 138 and weighs 160.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-12-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
I'm 5'9", 160 and I ride a 140. It's all personal preference, but the smaller board might put your knees at risk if you can't put your stance wide enough.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-12-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
There is no "Precise" wakeboard size chart. Try different sizes, see what you like best. I am 215lbs, Had a 135 CWB Absolute that felt great, currently loving the 144 CWB Faction. If I had stuck to some chart, I would have missed the 135...
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-12-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
tank......what are the differences now between the two sizes since you have made such a large jump in size?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-12-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
144 - 135 = 9cm... Seriously, each board has advantages. the 135 had great swing weight, worked really well in buttery water. The 144 is better when conditions are less than perfect, lands a little softer.

I think there is a misconception out there about boards being good, bad, big, small, etc. Just like you adjust your riding style to fit the wake (charge more on the rampy wakes, ease into a big pop on the steep, lippy wakes), you adjust your riding style to work with the board you ride. I have been on boards that I really had trouble with for the first few sets, then when I figured it out, loved them. I think alot of people write a board design off as bad when it is just a matter of learning to adjust the riding slightly. Of course, there are a few boards out there that are very difficult to handle, adjust to.