Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-26-2008, 5:36 PM Reply   
I dun did it again.. I spended a bunch of money... This time on an 08 Watson board and an epic sport waterproof housing for my video camera so that I can get some shots beyond riding in the boat for my movie this summer... Someone's gotta stop me from spendin all dis money! ARGH! This sport is overly addicting... And it costs way too much for a broke college kid... Now I've got a 900 dollar bill to pay off by August, before I lose my 0 percent interest on my credit card...

Damn all of you here on wakeworld for addicting me even more to this sport than before!!!!! Also, thanks for the same, it's friggin sweeeet.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-26-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
Do you own a boat. If not, I don't even want to hear about spending a grand on some gear. Let me know how you like the Watson. I am riding the 07
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-26-2008, 10:00 PM Reply   
It's actually 1500 dollars, thank you very much. 800 of the bill is from an HD video camera I bought, 270 from the housing... The last of my money (400) went to the board. Note, if I had a steady job, this wouldn't be much of a big deal to me, but I'm only working the occassional weekend that I'm home from college... At a movie theater...

Plus that was mostly a joke... I guess it definitely didn't come off as one... Damn text forums.

There's also a big difference between being out of college and having a job and having a boat (which costs a lot more, der, but you're technically able to afford it), and being a freshman with no money, essentially no job, no money, and a thousand dollar bill... All because I tend to be a compulsive spender, primarily on wakeboard gear. In less than a year, I've spent 3000 dollars on wakeboarding related stuff, on a movie theater ticket taker's pay.

No, I'm not trying to relate that to you somehow, I'm just pointing out that while it initially began as a joke, now that I think about it, I've spent a god-awful amount of money on stuff when I should have been saving it up so that one day when college ends I could afford to buy my own boat. That's 3000 dollars in a year. Not including the money that I've wasted on food and extra I definitely will tell you what I think of it, at least depending on what the doctor diagnoses my knee as after he reads the MRI. I may or may not be riding it around next week during spring break...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-26-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
I hear ya... I just got a new DSLR camera, new slingshot setup, and have a boat payment... I'm a soph/junior in college... no job, at the moment... and have to make sure I keep $330 set aside to make it home from florida when the snow melts...deffinately having to tighten the belt these days, doesnt help that gas is going up either.... but one butter day makes it all worth it
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-26-2008, 10:32 PM Reply   
nick, we'll put the camera and housing to good use this spring man. Its money well spent
Old    alanp            02-26-2008, 11:19 PM Reply   
really none of my business but its probably not the best idea to purchase this stuff on credit. you could end up paying for this stuff for a long time.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-27-2008, 5:24 AM Reply   
I was also joking about the expense of the sport. No big deal
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
Okay, cool deal then. Like I said, damn text forums! I was thinking that you might have been after the second half of what you said, but I was far from sure, so yeah.

Alan, I've worked out the figures, and if I can work 5 shifts a week making 6.50 an hour, I can have the stuff paid off by August... And still have spending money for building a slider and for gas. Other than that though, I don't get to buy myself any new toys this next summer. Yay!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

You'll have fun with the camera setup, we just finished doing alot of shooting this past weekend, always a good time. Just make sure you don't get over your head with your CC on gear, I went WAAAAY overboard when I was in college, surfing and wakeboarding instead of being in class. Its paid off now, but it wasn't alot fun either
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-27-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Boats and motorcycles are my weakness. Fortunately, I only have a boat or else it would be pork and beans seven days a week! Funny how you can justify any purchase in either sport. So long as you're able to pay it off...I built my credit in college by charging up through the year and paying off each summer. Beer, Mexican food, and bike gear!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 6:34 AM Reply   
Yeah, after I get this stuff paid off, I only plan on buying the occasional item that I can pay off every month, like gas or something, to build up my credit. My goal is to have enough money next winter to buy a DSLR, an additional lens and a housing for it as well.

If it has to do with either airsoft, wakeboarding, lifting, or food, it's my weakness. Fortunately I don't have my own boat, or it'd be ramen for the rest of college...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-27-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
haha...this reminds me of me as soon as i was done playin baseball in college i went ape$hit spending money on stuff for fun...

i bought a motorcycle, a car, camera's, wakeboards, snowboards, gear, trips, everything...hahahah

i'm still paying it off but i aint sweatin it cuz the last 4-5 years have been some of the best of my life whether i was struggeling or not...i'm not now so it doesn't even matter anymore...

have fun with ur stuff and it'll be well worth the money you spent...
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-27-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Well said JR, I still don't regret one second of it, I had a blast and won't ever forget it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-27-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
After 12 cars, 4 trucks, 5 motorcycles, 3 boats and too many wakeboards to count.... I have no comment. Maybe I'll wise up when I turn 30.

Enjoy life. Any one of us could die tomorrow and you're only young once. You don't know true debt till you buy a house. LOL!!!

Oh, by the way, $6.50 is brutal. You're in college man. Have some pride and get a real job. Ha, ha, ha... Just kidding.

Enjoy all the new gear.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-27-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Nick Schrein... I HATE cake! Ha!...no joke, I dont even eat my birthday cake...

Enjoy your gear brother
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-27-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I know, it's actually 6.45, I just said 6.50 cause it sounds better . Who needs a real job when you can continue working at the same place you started working at when you were 16? Plus, the amount of money that I have saved on free coke, popcorn and movie tickets there easily accounts for it... Actually not really, but whatever. I can dream can't I?

Crap, I just realized that I still need to buy a knee brace... ARGH!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
JR and J-rod, I totally feel yah. My senior year of college I had an internship and I negotiated to work like 16 hours a week through one year. All I did was buy everything with the CC. What a GREAT summer and winter that was! I also excersized restraint though. I would say 90 percent of the costs were either gas or lift tickets, haha. I can specifically remember taking out friends for dinner and filling tanks since friends obviously dont take credit.

My rational was that most people graduate with a ton of college debt, so a little credit card debt couldnt hurt, haha. I think it was only like 5k when I finished anyways.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
http://consumerist.com/consumer/clips/snl-skit-dont-buy-stuff-you-cant-afford-252491.php
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-27-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
jward10 when you going wakeboarding again
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Justin.... Wait, I dont get it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-29-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
YAY! I got it all today... I'm super stoked about next week now.