Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
It seems packing a stuffing box is harder than it seems for me.

I removed my old stuffing earlier this year (pulled out 3 layers) and replaced it with the same size packing but was only able to fit 2 layers in.

The first attempt I think I had packed it too well as I noticed there was a grease substance that was around the exit of the packing nut and the nut was too hot to touch.

I got around to replacing it again today and went easy on the tightening and was able to get it to drip about once every 10 seconds while the boat is idle and not in gear.

I took it out for a ride and it seemed to stop dripping all together and the nut was getting warmer. I have readjusted it while on the water and it seems no matter how I adjust it after it starts moving again the packing expands and seals up the shaft tighter not allowing the drip.

I am using this teflon packing material and it is 1/4" diam for my 1:1 DD tranny.

Any advice from the pros what I may be doing wrong, or is the shaft nut supposed to be warm as long as its not burning and too hot to touch?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-31-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
When I did mine I put only two rings in. I cut each ring at a 45 degree angle so that it's not a vertical cut. I then off set each ring 180 from each other. Barely tighten the nut just until you feel a slight resistance from the seal. Then do the final adjustment in the water while under way at idle. Thats how I did mine and it worked out great.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-31-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
I don't think mine gets warm, I can check when I get up to the lake and get the boat out tomorrow. I remember getting the correct tightness was a pain.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
Aaron:

I followed those directions to a T the first time, and cut my 2 rings on a 45, but this time I cut them straight as I noticed the first time when they were on a 45 they seemed to be loose and did not tightly wrap around the shaft, so I donno what happened.

What kind of packing are you guys using? may go back to the marina and just try out the regular wax impregnated rope instead of this teflon stuff.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-31-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Ya I used the factory style wax rope seal. Picked it up at my local dealer. It was around $12.00