Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-08-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
My daughter has a roll 2 revert and a scarecrow in her bag already.... Would you work on a tantrum or would it be better for her in competitions to have some spins? example 360 What would you suggest.... She is good on the sliders and rails and can also throw a huge scarecrow off the kicker.... Give us your 2 cents..... Thanks
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
Well no matter what kind of competitions she is in the judges like to see a veriation of tricks. it would be good to mix in a few spins with the rest of her inverts
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-08-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Try both at the same time. I like to try several tricks at once. If i get tired to falling on one i will try something else for a while and just go back and forth.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-08-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
If she is landing a crow and r2r then a tantrum would be a ez trick for her to learn. I bet it would take only a few tantrum only sets to get them nailed. Then work on the 3, that should take a bit more time to land. Spins are where it's at in most comps though.
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-08-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
agreed. tantrums will definitely be super easy for her to learn if shes already good at those other inverts... tantrums are easiliy learned, and once learned they are extremely consistent... spins are not as easy to learn or perfect, but they're really good for showing off a lot of style... which will definetly be good for contests....

also i would suggest not overlooking 180s either... theres about a million ways to show off em off with good style if you get creative... grabs, late, blind, there and back, whatever...
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-09-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for your suggestions... We will work on the tantrums and the 360's.....

Any other suggestions?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-09-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
spin spin spin.
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-09-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
style.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-09-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
.02, O.K. This is just my opinion, but you shouldn't worry about the competition pass. Concentrate on what your daughter wants to do/learn. If she wants to doublepump a fashion air, by all means offer encouragement. Likewise with a tanny or 3. Ride for fun, the comp pass will fall into place. Sure judges like a good composition of tricks, but they should be placing an equal amount of emphasis on execution and intensity. All passes being equal, I would give the nod to the rider who inspired me more (looked like they were having fun, made the trick look good). It's not hard to tell the difference between a rider who is only interested in winning, and a rider who loves to ride. Randall Harris is a great example.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-09-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
We maybe Randall is a bad example, not too many comp wins, but his riding certainly commands as much respect, if not more, as anyones.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
Sure, tanny is easy for most folks but not everybody. I agree, let her work on what she wants. Toeside three also is pretty easy, and she's obviously already got decent TS pop. When I'm scoring a comp run, especially girls (who are not known for spinning), I'd rather see ANY spin over a tantrum. Tantrums are boring in competition, even for girls, just my opinion.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-09-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
spin to win, have her try blind 180's since she will need to do a zillion of them to progress.