Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-15-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Right now for $225.00 plus $10.00 shipping. Great price on a killer product. A good winter project.

http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Makes me wonder if they're redesigning it or something
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Grabbed one anyway thanks for the heads up.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-15-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
Let me know when it's under $100. At $100 they are still making over 500% profit, closer to 750%. I even figured in labor. I built my own with a basic mercury/water switch, a 555 timer, 3 reostats, a switch, two pots, and a metal case. Mine has an infinite number of adjustments while the HSE unit has 8 positions.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-15-2008, 2:53 PM Reply   
How much did you spend on marketing, office space, on-water testing in varying conditions, insurance, warranties, patents (or defense of patents since you may have violated one belonging to HSE), employee salaries and benefits, etc.?

Perhaps a full grasp of what it takes to run a business and/or the basics of supply and demand would help you to understand what goes into their pricing. As if the only cost going into a product are the raw materials or the price of a product should always be determined by what I can build it for in my garage!

Damn those HSE guys for bringing a great product to the market and selling it to customers that are fully satisfied with their purchase!!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-15-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   

quote:

How much did you spend on marketing, office space, on-water testing in varying conditions, insurance, warranties, patents (or defense of patents since you may have violated one belonging to HSE), employee salaries and benefits, etc.?

Perhaps a full grasp of what it takes to run a business and/or the basics of supply and demand would help you to understand what goes into their pricing. As if the only cost going into a product are the raw materials or the price of a product should always be determined by what I can build it for in my garage!

Damn those HSE guys for bringing a great product to the market and selling it to customers that are fully satisfied with their purchase!!

David,
Since you own/run this site, I will watch what I say accordingly...

I have very good grasp of what it takes to run a business. I also have a very good grasp on the features and costs to build this unit. It is MY OPINION, that I think "the market" is simply deciding that the current pricing on the HSE unit is excessively high and I was only attesting to that.

BTW, I didn't break any patents since I built the unit for my own use, and not for resale. Bazooka did take my plans though and are in the process of building a unit of their own.
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-15-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
Hey Sam,

Thanks for the FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!.

I'm not sure where you are getting the 8 positions. Our unit is fully programmable to any RPM level. The audio attenuation level is adjustable on-the-fly from 0 to 96dB. We use the highest quality audio products on the market, and a very efficient power supply which allows our unit to output audio levels up to 26V peak-to-peak. We also offer an auxiliary input which allows users to connect an mp3 player directly to the unit.

So, that being said I wish we were making 500% profit on these. You may be able to make your unit for $13 but to build a quality audio product it costs a lot more than that. $225 is a steal on this product!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-15-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
I know something about the inner workings of HSE. I assure you Sam that there is nowhere near the profit in it that you are asserting. Also, not all of us want to build our own volume control. HSE puts a fantastic product in a good looking package and it works!! WELL!!! Good for you if you can build one cheaper. I can't, (nor would I want to) and I would say that most people on this site can't either. Also, I don't know what volume control you're looking at, but my HSE volume control is infinitely adjustable. One more thing: if Bazooka is a commercial enterprise, I would be careful about patent infringement if I were them.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-15-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
I bet Sam makes some sweet $5k houses out in CA! That said, he's got a point that $225 is steep
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-15-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
geeez... that was a little harsh gangster...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Hey ya know what I find very funny on tis site:
Is the amount of people that are so quick to say how much people are making on somthing.
Sam Im not picking ou you. I can't tell you how many people have talked all kinds of crap about how much money NVS is making on each pair of speakers.
Then it was Fresh Air Exhaust, Then WetSound's WS 420 Eq,
Now I guess HSE is sticking it to us, You "bastard's" LOL.
The way I see it. Sam I hope you don't live in Texas (it will be super funny if you do) because for some reason It's always some guy in Texas in his garage that has figured out a way to reverse engineer some guy's product and make it for cheep and then let us all know about how much profit the Evil company is making. LOL

It's great that you figured out how to make one. Thats cool. Start your own DYI thread if you wanna share your project. I would like to see it.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-15-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
$399 is crazy. $225 is high but I just picked one up. My wife is running out of stuff to buy me (:=

I would say if they sold them for $150 then they would sell like hotcakes. They should experiment with the equilibrium of pricing, units sold, profit.

I'm looking forward to not blowing out my eardrums when my rider falls down.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
I think $225 is a very fair price and I'm happy to pay it.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Looks like a good idea, I just wish they had 3 inputs/outputs. The one input/output takes it off the market for me.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-15-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
I helped Jim sketch out what would be useful in a volume control for a high end boat system guy and that would work on any boat. He had rigged up an electromechanical device that did what he wanted and fully researched and understood the exact function he wanted. I know I put a considerable amount of time in it before Jim got someone with the time to finish the job and do it right. It's not as easy as you might think, to do something like this, package and market it. Jim is not overcharging for what went into this thing, I can tell you that. If you have a low end system and a head unit that works with the other system, buy it. I don't, I use 8vac preamps, multiple amps and an Alpine head unit. I'll get an HSE because I know for a fact that it was designed to be at the top end of this market, not the bottom. I'm sure he has plans in the works to improve it, that's how he rolls. He'll support it, too.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-15-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
if i read the install section of the owners manual correctly, the RVC can only take one set of audio inputs from the head unit.

this eliminates the ability to be able to fade your tower in/out...i think this may be what nu bu was getting at.

i will buy next years model that gives me control of my tower back, hahaha....
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
Psyclone thanks but I wouldn't consider my system low end. I've got 3 JL audio amps, 2 JL audio 12w6v2's, 8 volt line driver, 6 tower speakers, 6 momo interiors, and yes a deck. So no the HSE unit doesn't work for everyone. I would put mine up against your "high end system" anyday.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on December 15, 2008)
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-15-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
nu bu, I wouldn't consider my system low and the HSE works great for me. I have 18 6' speakers and three amps. You must not know how to wire it up. I have full control of my tower and interior speakers off an EQ

(Message edited by jv210 on December 15, 2008)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
That's just it I don't have an eq, nor do I want one. You need an eq to run this unit on a nicer system, that is my whole point. My other point, if it had 3 in/out I would have one in the mail right now.

18 6.5" speakers? Are you the one with that close bow jet boat with all the MTX speakers on the tower?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-15-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Most high end systems should have an EQ imho.

I got a malibu just like you with 10 on the tower.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-15-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
EQ not necessary, I can prove that to you anytime.