Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
What is up with all the idiot boat drivers this weekend. I was riding victoria yesterday and 2 of my riders were nearly ran over. One by a fisherman that rode out butt less then 25 ft behind my rider. And a MC ski boat one person rode my other riders butt less then 60 ft behind him and when he fell the only thing the MC could do was go in the tules. Also remember I wasn't in the middle of the channel, i moved to the right side to let them pass and they still rode our butt.

Old    jetgofish            03-29-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Mike - Welcome to the Spring time idiot factor! We experienced the same thing about two weeks ago. I've elected to stay away from Victorias until the rusty drivers learn the tactics again! Saturday I was down in Whiskey and Sunday I was in Grant Line and Old River, no idiots there! A lot of logs though, talk about an obsticle course!
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Even the boarders can't drive. When you are not moving and see a boat approaching with a boarder (1) move to one side of the chanel or the other, (2) do NOT start your boarder just so you can get in front of them. Now the boat that was approaching has crappy water. (3) DON'T huddle in little groups around corners.
Old    jetgofish            03-29-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
Hmm...seemed to be a problem later in the day on Twins. Ski Beach Sunday was crowded, the crowd wasn't that great though!

Mike, I think Victorias is becoming more and more popular with the non-local wakeboarders. After pictures were published in Wakeboard Mag, I noticed more and more non-locals in Victorias and with that comes the fact that they don't treat this area the same we do. Chances are that things are only going to get worse, more crowded more idiots. I'm with you stay to one side, if a rider is in tow and you have a downed rider let the other boat pass, don't take of in pairs and leave enough room between the rider in front of you! Welcome to the 405 of the Delta!

Last week while riding Victorias we had 3 boats down with in 500 feet of one another. I was suiting up to get in when a boat comes down the slough in the opposite direction, the boat next to us was teaching some one how to ride and they fell turning close to us (but of no threat to us) and the boat that was coming down the slough (the wrong way) had to cut between us and the shore (where my rope and handle floated) all three boats screamed at they jack **s telling him he was going the wrong way....he yelled back "you guys are going the wrong way" all the time laughing and not caring that he's just put 3 boats and 3 riders at risk! Spring time Idiots I tell ya!
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-29-2004, 8:45 AM Reply   
Mike,

Were you in Victoria yesterday when the X-star with the cabin cruiser chase/party boat were riding? Talk about idiots. Other than that we were pretty lucky and didn't have to many bad experiences yesterday.

The water was great. I guess we were just lucky enough to time it properly where we pretty much had the channel to ourselves when we were riding.

If I had to make one suggestion to the other riders in Victoria though, it would be that when making the turn down by Union Point that you instruct your riders not drop in the middle of the turn. If you fall that is one thing, but don't drop just because you're tired. Hold on for another minute and get into the channel versus the corner. It will be safer for your rider and the oncoming traffic.

All in all a great day on the water yesterday.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-29-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
Those guys in the cabin cruiser were making things pretty dangerous at times and I agree about telling people not to fall if possible around the Union Point turn. Unfortunately we had a fairly new wakeboarder fall there Sunday and I can tell you it is a very dangerous place for rider and boat to try and get out of. My recommendation to anyone if they do fall there is to just get the person in the boat as fast as possible and get out of the way.
I rode with Christie Fisher and we had a pretty good day. There were definately a few times we got cut off as usual, but the water was superb and we only had 2 close calls. One was when our rider fell in the turn and the second was when a boat came towards our downed rider at full speed and made no indication of seeing the rider or slowing down. Due to the threat I made a nice big power turn to run interference for my rider. Even with a huge wake in their path the guys didn't slow down a bit.
I don't think the pictures of the delta in WBM made a difference on number of riders since December when that issue came out. There aren't anymore riders out there than I would expect as the weather has been very nice and that always draws people out. As far as them being non-locals, I'm not sure how you could tell if someone is a local or a non-local by watching them ride by in a boat.
My biggest irritation this weekend was the number of people blowing through the 5mph areas at Union Point and at the opposite end of Victoria. Saturday and Sunday numerous people did this.
I'm not surprised though and I don't think anyone who rides the delta will be. This is how it always is when the weather gets nice.
As Rob said though, we had a great day, got some great water and got to see some of our friends out there. Good Times.
Old    norcal_99            03-29-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
I always see all these posts about complaints in Victoria. That's exactly why I ride in other areas of the delta, and only go over to Vic's when I want to see other friends riding.

Glad to hear nobody got hurt.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-29-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what is meant by locals vs non-locals.

Is there a specific geographic area that you have to live within to be considered a local and thus, not an inexperienced idiot?

I live in San Jose, yet I ride at the delta every weekend throughout the year pretty much rain or shine.

Does this give me an honorary delta local status?

I would rather like to think that this makes me a delta regular, and that I am perhaps a little more educated as to the proper boating edicate expected at the delta.

I don't think it matters where you live in regards to whether or not you are an idiot on the water.
Old    jetgofish            03-29-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Rob, my miss use of words here!

While there are a lot of idiots on the water, Delta or any other Lake I'm not trying to specify that you are a local by your geographical location; rather I should have used the term "Delta Regulars". Those "Regulars" that frequent the Delta know the does and don't, the unwritten rules of the water.

I believe that more education is needed for some drivers on the Delta or all water ways for that fact, but how do we do it? How is some one who has never boated the Delta before supposed to know that Victoria's is a direction slough (or that we treat it that way)? How are people supposed to know where is dangerous to fall and where isn't? How are people supposed to know that any channel should be treated as though a roadway to yield around corners and to stay on one side when traveling from on point to the other?

Yes all of this is commone sense, but I ask the question that was so debated last year on many posts, should boaters have a license to drive (which of course would require some sort of educational course)? How is one to enforce this and where does it begin?

My apologies to any one that I may have offended.
Old    norcal_99            03-29-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
I think Ghettofish meant "loco" not "local" but her Spanish isn't that good.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
It is a given that you should yield when coming up to a merging chanel.
It is a given that it is dangerous to fall on a corner.
It is a given that u should slow down when coming up on a fallen rider.
It is a given that u don't ride someone ASS when they have a F*****N boarder.

It is every boaters responsibility to know the laws, and that following 60 ft behind a rider is IILEGAL. Or to slow down when coming to a blind corner. And if you can't handle the delta go to a lake where it is open.

(Message edited by ridn9high on March 29, 2004)
Old    jetgofish            03-29-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Yah Ren, I don't speak spanish

Mike - no need to yell at me. I grew up on the Delta I know your bitches I have the same bitches! There are a lot of uneducated drivers out there. I'm just pointing out that not every one knows what you and I know about the ettiquete of the Delta and they should know them or at least learn them!!!
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Ghettofish- I am not yelling at you, I am still pissed about the two idiots from yesterday. Nothing against you.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-29-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
Common sense to you may not be common sense to other people.

Next time instead of complaining how unsafe Vic's was or how many jackasses there were out there, find another place to ride so your crew doesn't get hurt...Vic's is only gonna get worse now as more people start to take their boats out...
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-29-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
Scott- No matter where you ride on the delta you are gonna find idiots. Also I was trying to let everyone know to watch for them because they are coming out. If I wanted to throw a pitty party for my crew and myself, I would have done that a whole lot better.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-29-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Mike: believe it or not there ARE places on the delta that aren't known to many people...so YES you can find places where there aren't any idiots even on the busiest weekends of the summer...
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-29-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
those who know those places dont tell anyone... hahaha
Old    jetgofish            03-29-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Scott I know you had too many margarita's yesterday...you wanna share some of these SECRET spots? Ah forget it I have a few of my own!
Old    deltahoosier            03-29-2004, 4:28 PM Reply   
Sure you guys have secret spots, you just have to drive half way to stockton to get there....Just get a few boats of people that you know who think like you do and start talking real loud about Power Turners and other offenses at union point in front of others that you don't know. Maybe they will listen in or post signs on the pilings at union point. There has to be some way to get the message out short of starting a fight in confronting the weekend warriors.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-29-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
Teri: see now if you were smart you would have asked me this question yesterday...though I would have still said "no" since I was still sober enough to swim from the boat to the beach haha. Anyways yeah these places are for me to know and you to...well...not know . Either way I'm sure you have more than your fair share of secret spots considering how many years you have spent on the delta...
Old    norcal_99            03-29-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
There are no "secret" spots, but there are plenty of less traveled sloughs, and you don't have to go half way to Stockton.

Almost everyone who launches out of Discovery Bay, Orwood and Rivers End rides in Old River, Twins, and Vics.
Old    hyperlitemike            03-29-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
i rode over there on saturday and it was perfect water. the boats that were out there were following proper etiquette
Old    jetgofish            03-29-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
Scott - I have plenty of secret Delta spots that you don't know about. Like that one over there and the one down this Connection and the one just to the left of this one....BOY you'd better learn the proper names of dem dere sloughs you got me!!!

Rod, we could drop some hints at the Point real loud ones at that!!!
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-30-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Here are some thoughts to think about. We all want to be safe and set good examples. Yelling and screaming and starting fights is not my idea of a good example. Yes, there are good solid idiots out there that just plain don't give a dam, but there are plenty of other people that just don't know any better. In my optomistic opinion, they are the majority, and there are very few A**H****. They just need someone to teach them the unwritten rules of the water. Riding up on other's butts is obvious, but others may not be. I can't count the number of times I have had to tell my friends who are not experienced to look around where they are riding and don't do risky moves on blind corners, look for a safe spot before they drop , etc. This might be obvious to experienced riders, but for newbies this is not obvious. Its like they have blinders on and can't see past their wake. Many of the people that are out there, are just like this. Once they are told, they get it! It just like everything else in life, you have to learn through your experiences. Most people listen a whole lot better when the person telling them is being respectful and not being aggressive. Some of us were lucky enough to learn many boating rules as children from our parents, but many people out there on the water were not that fortunate.
So Teri asked the all important question: How do we get the messages across? Docks are great places to strike up conversations with other boaters, the various restaurants on the water or if you want to be really pro-active, placing fliers on the cars in the ramp parking lots would work. Or how about email, its powerful and easy and its surprising how fast a message can get spread around. These take time, but it may be worth it to us and our riders!
Long and short... remember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would want to be treated. Its easy!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
I ride up north of Sac and I have thought about going to the Delta but because of all the different do's and dont's I've chosen not go there until I go with someone that knows the "rules". But to help your own cause and others why doesn't somebody put together a little just for your information list so people can read it or at least try and get a grasp on your RULES. Because I am going down there soon and it would be not only helpful but then I can try and be courteous of others by not doing wrong unintentionally.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Drive halfway to Stockton to find a good place to ride?

Rod, you do know that the Delta is over 1000 miles of waterways, right? Most of it being someplace other than Stockton.
Old    norcal_99            03-30-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
There are no "RULES" to the delta. If somebody wants to pull a tube and S-Turn or power turn all the way down the slough they have that right.

We wakeboarders do not own the delta.

Safety on the other hand is another subject. I think all boat owners should be required to take a safety training course before they can register a boat in their name.
Old    jetgofish            03-30-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Jeff, I'm sure I can offer some help!
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-30-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
We kinda had a discussion like this a year or 2 back on the 'wakelist' i think and we thought about making up a little handout of sorts w/ good driving etiquette (no power turns, no tailgating, etc) and you could just hand them out to someone...then you could just leave and it wouldn't be all confrontational. We even had the idea of getting Nick at Newt Juice to let us have some of his little sample bottles of Juice (1oz) and you could tie the flyer onto that when you pass it out??
Old     (speedy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-30-2004, 6:46 PM Reply   
I've had a few experiences with idiots in the the past few weekends, but this is the wrong place to complain. Most people on this site have a clue, it's the wally weekenders that have never even heard of wakeworld that are dangerous. I like the idea of placing flyers at union point. There is already flyers about boat damage from wakes in the 5 MPH.
So anyone that is availible during week days, send me an Email. Avoid the crowds.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2004, 2:28 AM Reply   
I got the no power turns thing and all that other stuff, I like to think I'm a courteous driver. I just dont want to go to the Delta and be a nuisence becuase I did not know something. That and the whole tidal thing makes me nervous. I would hate to hit something under water or run it onto a sand bar. I'm used to the river up here and it very rarely gets crowded but it also never really gets very warm either. I will just have to venture down someday and follow a few locals around and watch them....
Old    wakelvr            03-31-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
I am willing to give up a weekend day of riding to post flyers everywhere. I will contribute to the cause if someone wants to help get something started. Signs, flyers, whatever... It's worth a shot. Time to educate and focus on safety...

I agree with Rene though. We can't tell people really what they can and can't do on the delta. We can however, educate people on laws and boat safety.

Old    norcal_99            03-31-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
Mark (speedy) said, "I've had a few experiences with idiots in the the past few weekends, but this is the wrong place to complain. Most people on this site have a clue, it's the wally weekenders that have never even heard of wakeworld that are dangerous. "

I ask this, What's more dangerous, the "wally weekender" or the drunk "delta regular" leaving Ski Beach every Saturday and Sunday?

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-31-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
Thats right, THERE ARE NO GOOD PLACES TO BOARD NEAR STOCKTON. so just stay away OK.