Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-27-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 X-Star w/ factory MC trailer. I am most likely relocating. Garage size is going to be tight. Can this be done, or am I pretty much looking at shelling out some $$$ for a new trailer?
Old     (nukepower)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
yep...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/249797.html
Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-27-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
I did it to my trailer as well. Used this casting from Fulton:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=76683

They have both a 3x3 and a 3x4 kit depending on what tubing size your trailer is.

It is a very well thought out design that went together pretty easy. The biggest problem I had was that I have surge brakes and had to modify the steel brake line to have a rubber connection where the trailer swings away.

I would highly recommend this kit. It came with a special center punch to mark the holes and if I recall correctly, there was even a drill bit in there.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-27-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
I hired DHM to turn my trailer into a swing-away...they did a great job. Modified the whole front of the trailer (which initially didn't bend inward and was much longer), then added the swing away...

Upload
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-27-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I have the surge brakes as well. Where did you get your connections from?

So basically what I am guessing is that I just have to cut through the solid arm and drill some holes?

FJ
PM inbound

(Message edited by xstarrider on September 27, 2009)
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       09-27-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
yep, also lots of good info online. Sorry I don't have time to find a link.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Well it looks like I am kind of stuck on taking it for a custom job. The problem I am running in to is that though the bar is 3X4 it is only that big for 3.75 inches as it comes from winch weld to the tongue/coupler. My Coupler is Apprx 20 inches long and it is 3.75X 4.75inches with the actuator in it. I will try and get a pic of what I mean, but basically there isn't enough 3X4 beam length space to attach/splice in that mechanism from Fulton.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-28-2009, 12:36 PM Reply   
Who makes the trailers for MC? I would contact the trailer manufacturer.. I bought a swing away 'kit' for a boatmate trailer direct from boatmate. It was a new tongue housing, a trailer receiver plate, and all the hardware (not much, a grade 8 bolt, swing away pin, a brake line and a couple washers.)

Very easy... the surge brake unit comes out with a couple of pins removed, then cut off the old tongue, weld on the new receiver plate, then bolt the new tongue and surge brakes back in. COnnect the brake line, bleed, and you are good to go.

If you can get a factory kit, its a lot easier than trying to modify a generic kit.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
I bought the kit - it was about $110.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-28-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
Don't take this the wrong way but those chains are way too small for what you're towing. Even those stock steel cables a couple posts up are marginal at best if by chance the trailer becomes un-coupled. This is a case where bigger IS better...just in case.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2009, 5:05 AM Reply   
hmmm well they came with my kit from fulton - but I appreciate the tip. My boat really only goes from the garage through the neighborhood (5mph - 300ft) and then plop into the lake these days but I'll keep that in mind if I ever tow it any great distances I'll change out the chains.