Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old    chazbro            01-29-2003, 10:49 PM Reply   
A friend has a very well cared for 1984 Mastercraft stars and stripes 19ft. boat he wants to sell me for $5K. 351 Ford, garaged, nice trailer, very clean interior.
new battery and starts right up. he hasn't used it much in the past 5 years.
Anyone have any experience with this boat. I have been reading some threads about wieghting similar boats, and i think this could work.
thanks for the info.
Old    chazbro            01-29-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
forgot to add the boat has 575 hours on it.
thanks again
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-30-2003, 5:49 AM Reply   
Sounds a good figure to me. The 575 hours on a 19 year old boat is not right though, I clock that up in a season on mine!

Weighted up the wake is ok, its not perfect but I use a 1989 pro comp with fat seat and weight up front totalling about 1300lbs all in. Wake is good for what I need.
Old    stano            01-31-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
I belive that was the first year mastercraft went to fiberglass construction (no wood stringers).I had an 84 and put 400 hours on it in 2 years and never had a problem. That hull with a little weight in the back puts out an OK wake nothing special.My boat was mint when I sold it last year for over 9k so that sounds like a steal! I doubt you could find any other inboard for that price with quality like a mastercraft.
Old    socalboats            01-31-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Good boat, although rides very low in the gunnels even without weight. It was the first year with no wood in the stringers, although the transom is wood (despite what some may say).

Very harsh ride if your local lake has less than ideal conditions. Excellent barefooter.

good luck
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
I think the first year with all fiberglass stringers was 1986.
Old    socalboats            02-01-2003, 3:38 PM Reply   
Nope, 1984, but the transom was still FG. Maybe the transom in 86 turned termite proof.

Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-03-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
I bought my 84 with 873 hours on it for 5k. It had a good wake with about 600 lbs in back, 250 under the bow and 4 people up front. That hull needs alot of weight in the front. I was very happy with mine, great motor, never had any problems with it. It is a SUPER starter boat and unweighted it is a great wakeskating boat. Plus if you ski the wake is awesome. I sold it to a fellow wakeworlder last summer.