WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Tesla Model 3 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806120)

sidekicknicholas 04-01-2016 7:17 AM

Tesla Model 3

Looks pretty darn good!

I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I think they did a great job with it. Looks great, minimum range is 200+, base 0-60 is 5.xx sec (I'm sure dual motor will be much faster).... I just hope the tax credit holds up til my number is called.

http://i.imgur.com/4yESNy8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/85zEnrW.jpg

sppeders 04-01-2016 9:25 AM

Elon Musk---- Model 3 orders at 180,000 in 24 hours. Selling price w/avg options $42K, so - $7.5B in a day.

sppeders 04-01-2016 9:29 AM

Crazy they got that number of reservations for a $40K commuter.

timmyb 04-01-2016 10:08 AM

I think this car is what was needed to get America really interested in electric cars. I know that some are on the fence of the real carbon footprint with using electricity from coal fired electric plants though. My dream would be to get solar panels, a Tesla power wall setup and then one of these cars. I really like it and love tech stuff like this.

timmyb 04-01-2016 10:48 AM

Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting! They claim they will be able to produce 500,000 cars per year at full capacity.

timmyb 04-01-2016 10:54 AM

Now we have to figure out how to tax electric cars for their road use since that is currently in the price of gas/diesel. I'm guessing that it will cost us more tax dollars to figure out how to tax them than it will generate in the first year. :D

sppeders 04-01-2016 11:13 AM

well, they burn coal.... so that should be easy. Based off the kilowatt hour, the whole country will see a hike increase.

Michael 04-01-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb (Post 1932255)
Now we have to figure out how to tax electric cars for their road use since that is currently in the price of gas/diesel. I'm guessing that it will cost us more tax dollars to figure out how to tax them than it will generate in the first year. :D

Then they can use the money somewhere else.

digg311 04-01-2016 11:15 AM

The line to get on the waiting list here in Bellevue, WA. was unbelievably long. Which makes sense... since the last estimate I heard was $24,500,000 worth of Model 3 orders in Bellevue alone.

ralph 04-01-2016 11:25 AM

If they sell here this will be my next car

sidekicknicholas 04-01-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting!
Crazy.

My wife's lease is up in Dec of 2017, I'm scared that Wisconsin won't be seeing the 3 until 6+ after the initial deliveries begin .... not sure what we'll do to bridge that +6 month gap if thats the case. Fingers crossed people drop off when it gets closer.

timmyb 04-01-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sppeders (Post 1932256)
well, they burn coal.... so that should be easy. Based off the kilowatt hour, the whole country will see a hike increase.

:D

grant_west 04-01-2016 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love what Tesla is doing. I love how a realitivaty new comer in the auto industry is schooling Detroit and even Eroupe.
IMO Tesla is giving people what they want. Detroit is giving people what Detroit Wants. And the free market is speaking loudly with their dollar.

I love how tesla markets their cars. Here are pics of the Modle S in a showroom in the Stanfor Mall.

timmyb 04-01-2016 12:48 PM

Detroit hates Tesla from everything I have read too. I just hope that they can build a reliable car on that large of a scale. Small production is a lot easier to put out a quality, reliable product.

migs 04-01-2016 1:56 PM

Tesla's are like honda civics here in the bay area peninsula. Im sure a majority of that initial order is staying right here.

timmyb 04-01-2016 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migs (Post 1932275)
Tesla's are like honda civics here in the bay area peninsula. Im sure a majority of that initial order is staying right here.

Yeah they are! I hadn't been to the bay area for a few years and was out there 2 weeks ago and I think I saw at least 30 Model S's in my 2 days that I was there. Saw colors that I didn't even know existed too.

grant_west 04-01-2016 3:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a P85-D Modle

grant_west 04-01-2016 3:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the front motor

grant_west 04-01-2016 3:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree Teslas are all over the place here. The SUVs are starting to show up all over the place

diamonddad 04-01-2016 3:17 PM

Elon Musk is my personal hero. We are so lucky EBAY gave him $180 million to spread into SPACEX, TESLA and SOLARCITY.

Capitalism and ambition working very well!

Now, someone needs to get to work on Thorium Reactors -- a much much better nuclear power than uranium. Much shorter half lives and no meltdowns.

pesos 04-01-2016 4:42 PM

Oahu is lousy with Model S's also.

Might have to see about a dual motor 3 when our lease is up. Hope they've improved the handling - that was the only thing I really didn't care for on the S.

Shawn 04-03-2016 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb (Post 1932254)
Now at 198,000 pre orders...and counting! They claim they will be able to produce 500,000 cars per year at full capacity.

Correction...Musk said that the Fremont plant WAS pumping out 500K cars when it was operational under Ford and Toyota at full capacity...not that THEY could pump out 500K cars. He has already said that they are having to rethink the production schedule based on the number of pre-order deposits.

WheelerWake 04-03-2016 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1932269)
IMO Tesla is giving people what they want. Detroit is giving people what Detroit Wants. And the free market is speaking loudly with their dollar.

IMO If this is what the people want, there would not have to be a tax credit to get people to buy them.

Just one more government program flushing money away.

buffalow 04-04-2016 7:46 AM

300,000 Preorders in the first weekend - Almost $15 Billion in Sales in one weekend - What the heck is going on?

grant_west 04-04-2016 10:07 AM

(Wake wheeler) IMO the govement providing welfare is flushing down the drain. This is Just my 2c.
When the government re-distributes wealth to people who don't want to work that's "Flushing Money down the drain"

If the government provides a "tax incentive" for People to buy a American made product such as a all electric car that puts Americans to work, and those Americans pay tax $'s that Go back into the system my guess is that money that the government "flushed down the toilet" as you said it is replenished many times over.

And as a side note it lessens our dependency on forgin oil. Again this is just my 2c but the fully electric car is just the first step. A Electric car being charged by a Coal burning power plant, No Bueno. A All electric car being recharged by a Solor system. "Pure Genius"

sidekicknicholas 04-04-2016 10:44 AM

^ Everything G said.
I don't the the tax credit has a huge bearing on how many people have pre-ordered... I'm assuming I won't the credit get based on my location and their delivery schedule, doesn't really matter to me; if I do get it, icing on the cake.

I bought my Volt a few years ago hoping to to give the EV thing a try, if it seemed likeable wait for the Model 3 or when a used Model S was more reasonably priced. We also timed my wife's lease to end in Dec of 2017 with the Model 3 release. I really like the Volt and am actually hoping on keeping it and having my wife drive the Model 3... other option would be sell the Volt, I go model 3 and she goes with the car she wants (new body style Lexus RX).

timmyb 04-04-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn (Post 1932363)
Correction...Musk said that the Fremont plant WAS pumping out 500K cars when it was operational under Ford and Toyota at full capacity...not that THEY could pump out 500K cars. He has already said that they are having to rethink the production schedule based on the number of pre-order deposits.

My bad! Thanks for finding the real info.

migs 04-04-2016 1:26 PM

i just counted 4 of the Tesla SUV's in my work parking garage. CLEAANNNNN

Jmorlan 04-04-2016 2:19 PM

I reserved one for the hell of it lol

Jmorlan 04-04-2016 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalow (Post 1932387)
300,000 Preorders in the first weekend - Almost $15 Billion in Sales in one weekend - What the heck is going on?

Not SALES. RESERVATIONS. It only takes $1000 to mark your spot in line, and the deposit is refundable. We'll see how many people actually pony up when it comes time to cut the check for the delivery.
So they have taken in $300mil in reservation deposits

sidekicknicholas 04-05-2016 7:15 AM

Quote:

Not SALES. RESERVATIONS.
My gut says 40-60% of these people drop out when its time to build their car and enter into a purchase agreement. Personally if when its time for me to pick my options, colors, etc, if I haven't had a chance to sit in one/test drive one at a dealership, I doubt I would go through with my order.

DenverRider 04-05-2016 8:34 AM

And the company is still losing almost 7 dollars per share. Will Tesla become profitable this year? Depends on how they handle production I suppose. The cars may not be overpriced but the company stock sure is. I wonder when it will be time to sell short.

Jmorlan 04-05-2016 8:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverRider (Post 1932454)
And the company is still losing almost 7 dollars per share. Will Tesla become profitable this year? Depends on how they handle production I suppose. The cars may not be overpriced but the company stock sure is. I wonder when it will be time to sell short.

I called it on sunday, I knew there was going to a 5-6% jump, followed by a sellout.

denverd1 04-05-2016 9:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverRider (Post 1932454)

$7 per share on $246 stock isn't bad for new company. stock price up 50% per year for the last 5 years. Sales keep up like this and that price will be justifiable.

DenverRider 04-05-2016 12:45 PM

Great if you bought it 5 years ago.

sidekicknicholas 04-05-2016 1:05 PM

Side note / other EV news, if you're in CA you can get a Ford Focus EV lease for free.... yes free.

Single people earning $35,650 or less annually, or households of four earning $72,900 or less, are eligible for enhanced rebates: $3,000 for plug-in hybrids or $4,000 for battery electric vehicles.

2015 Focus EV MSRP of $29,995 should be able to negotiate down to $27,200 before incentives. As for incentives, there's $9,750 in Red Carpet Lease (RCL) Customer Cash and $3,000 Bonus Customer Cash, available to all California lessees.... also $500 for recent grads, military, or first responders.

$27,200 - $13250 in incentives + $695 for an acquisition fee = Net Cap Cost @ $14,595
Ford puts the residual value for a 36 mo., 10k mile a year lease at 40%.... 40% of MSRP = $11,998
Money Factor = .24% APR
Monthly payment works out to $81 incl tax. Dealer fees + tax on incentives + doc fees + first month payment = ~$1500 drive off
Total lease cost - drive off + payments = $4,055 .... but if you qualify for the rebate it covers all but $55 in the costs.... 3 years of a car for $55.

grant_west 04-05-2016 1:55 PM

here is a interesting way of looking at things, I have heard Elon explain it this way.
Let's say you match up a Tesla against another Like a 7 Series BMW.

Let's say the say both cars cost 100k Let's say the monthly payment is $1500

well that BMW cost more then $1500 each month because you have to pay to fuel it and for oil changes,ect That cost get's added into the payment or Cost to run the car.

His argument was that when you buy a Tesla your getting more for your $ because fuel cost is nothing.

sidekicknicholas 04-05-2016 2:08 PM

^ Also maintenance is minimal.... no fluids to change, no belts, water pumps, cooling, spark plugs or wires, etc etc.

You have tires, brakes, and suspension to worry about ... and the brakes should last a LONG time with the regen braking on the car

Jmorlan 04-05-2016 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1932493)
here is a interesting way of looking at things, I have heard Elon explain it this way.
Let's say you match up a Tesla against another Like a 7 Series BMW.

Let's say the say both cars cost 100k Let's say the monthly payment is $1500

well that BMW cost more then $1500 each month because you have to pay to fuel it and for oil changes,ect That cost get's added into the payment or Cost to run the car.

His argument was that when you buy a Tesla your getting more for your $ because fuel cost is nothing.

Not to mention that 7 series is worthless in 5 years. That model S (I'm assuming, that is the tesla you're comparing to the 7 series) will hold its value substantially better.

However, to play devils advocatw these cars have not been around long enough imo to test the endurance of the batteries. So, there could end up being a large cost of maintenance/replacement of the batteries and charging system.

I could give a damn about fuel mileage, I drive a 600+whp diesel lifted with 37s everyday. I figured for 35k what the hell it's not a bad looking car, and surely someone would pay the convenience of not having to wait in line when mine is delivered 😂

azeus17 04-07-2016 6:26 AM

I wonder what happens if/when Tesla goes belly up before they can deliver any of these orders? I would bet giving back the $1k per order will not be a priority when they are trying to save the company. I don't think a company that size can lose a billion dollars per year (like they did last year) for to many years and realistically, given their track record, we are at least two years away from the first delivery of a model 3.

Don't get me wrong, I love Elon Musk. I think he is exactly the kind of person this country needs more of. However, he may have bitten off more than he can chew.

Oh, and that "SUV" is ugly as hell.

psudy 04-07-2016 6:59 AM

And don't forget when that 7 series comes out of warranty and the f&*(ing thing falls apart and costs you thousands a month to keep it on the damn road!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead:

sidekicknicholas 04-07-2016 7:01 AM

Quote:

I don't think a company that size can lose a billion dollars per year (like they did last year) for to many years and realistically, given their track record, we are at least two years away from the first delivery of a model 3.
I think their "loses" are like how Amazon is never making money.... their current business model is based in re-investment into the company and not turning a profit. Giving up short term profits for long term major growth and sustainability.

Amazon's numbers for reference -
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibti...zn-chart_0.jpg

azeus17 04-07-2016 11:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas (Post 1932624)
I think their "loses" are like how Amazon is never making money.... their current business model is based in re-investment into the company and not turning a profit. Giving up short term profits for long term major growth and sustainability.

There is a big difference between reinvesting what you have and not making money, or very much, like Amazon, and losing a lot of money from investors, like Tesla. I am sure they will get more investments to keep them afloat with 10s of billions in orders out there, but there is really something wrong with the valuation of a company when you can almost buy GM for the same price as Tesla.

ralph 02-11-2019 10:35 PM

So super bump, 2.5 years on,who has a model 3? Tesla seems to have weathered the storm and is past break even now. Model 3's will be here in a few months, pretty sure I will order a dual motor soon.

ralph 07-04-2019 2:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So look what I just did

grant_west 07-08-2019 2:20 AM

Congrats: on your new ride your gonna like it. Is this your first fully electric car.

denverd1 07-08-2019 6:25 AM

Nice!

got a chance to ride in one not long ago. Holy ****. If people thought they had to pick between performance and green/electric/tree huggy car, they're wrong. Thing will straight up fly off the line.

I'm interested in one but also want to see a few more on the road before I buy. It's not like gas is high.

I'm curious what happens 7 to 10 years in when the batteries are shot. ship it back to TSLA for a $$$ upgrade/refresh? I'm sure they are cutting edge tech, but all batteries wear out. Panasonic making batts for TSLA IIRC.

ralph 07-08-2019 7:26 AM

Yes first electric car, it has a 8 year 192,000k warranty on the battery and we turn our vehicles every 4 years so I'm not worried about the battery.

grant_west 07-09-2019 3:19 AM

How common is that car in NZ. We are 30 mins from the factory and Tesla’s are very common here, just don’t know if it’s because we are so close or are they as popular all over the world.

ralph 07-09-2019 8:35 AM

It will be one of the first model 3, we haven't had any delivered here yet. We have a few X & S here but not common.

jonblarc7 07-10-2019 3:20 AM

Anybody know someone that has bought a used Tesla model S. I'm intrigued about the performance side of things for my wife's next car. I never buy new cars, I always buy in great condition used cars.

I just want to know if anybody has heard of any problem replacing batteries or anything since they have been out awhile now.

bcrider 07-10-2019 5:58 AM

With our stupid high fuel prices here in BC Tesla's are popping up all over the place. I see quite a few new Model 3's daily now. Saw a white one yesterday that had some after market wheels on it and it looked really good.

I also know someone that bought a used S and hasn't had any issues so far but I'm not sure where he is mileage wise. Everyone raves about the overall performance though as there's no switching gears so the car just goes and goes with immediate power.

denverd1 08-06-2019 4:46 AM

Elon says the car will last 1M miles, batteries 300K to 500K. says battery modules will be available soon..
https://electrek.co/2019/04/13/tesla...ims-elon-musk/

ralph 09-26-2019 4:21 PM

I'm collecting mine on Sunday. Wooooooo. Anybody want to buy a 2013 Audi S4 wagon, one careful lady owner.....

grant_west 09-28-2019 2:37 AM

Ralph Let’s see some pics when you get it! Congrats

pesos 09-28-2019 2:48 AM

You'll have a lot of fun! We sadly said goodbye to our i3s last week and ended up going back to the dark side

ralph 09-28-2019 7:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, it is amazing

markj 09-29-2019 2:43 AM

I dig the white seats.

ralph 09-29-2019 10:41 AM

They are super soft, feels like you are sitting in a big marsh mellow

ralph 10-02-2019 2:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Customization has begun. I love this car, it is amazing. I just drove my old Audi S4 and it felt like going back in time.

markj 10-02-2019 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralph (Post 1992114)
Customization has begun. I love this car, it is amazing. I just drove my old Audi S4 and it felt like going back in time.

So I’m sure that means you’re gonna move the steering wheel to the proper side then? I’ve ridden in a model 3 before. How does your S4 feel outdated? Certainly not performance-wise right?

ralph 10-02-2019 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markj (Post 1992115)
So I’m sure that means you’re gonna move the steering wheel to the proper side then? I’ve ridden in a model 3 before. How does your S4 feel outdated? Certainly not performance-wise right?

In many many ways, keep in mind my S4 was a 2013 so the media, phone and navigation interface was getting pretty old. But yes especially in terms of performance, the Model 3 performance is in a different universe when it comes to sledge hammer acceleration and grip.

Check out this top gear video of a drag between model 3, M3, AMG and Alpha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXqu...&feature=share

ralph 10-05-2019 4:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the tow bar and bike rack today. Can take two mountain bikes and two road bikes top the lake. Minter.

markj 10-05-2019 6:20 PM

That bike rack is hilarious. It looks like it would scrape-even a tame driveway.

ralph 10-05-2019 7:34 PM

It looks pretty low in the photo but it's not to bad, I've got a pretty steep driveway and it's ok so far in and out a couple of times

ralph 10-07-2019 7:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wrapped the wing mirrors today. Not sure i like it, I'll keep for a few days to see if it grows on me

ralph 10-13-2019 4:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wrapped the centre consol. Much easier to live with than the piano black

markj 10-13-2019 4:59 PM

Surprised to see you wrap the console that was already black, but okay... I love some of the carbon wraps. I covered the white graphics of my boat with the same.

Back to the seats... you mentioned earlier that they were like sitting in a marshmallow. That’s NOT what I want it to feel like whilst in a sports car. Care to expand on your previous comment?

ralph 10-13-2019 5:30 PM

The piano black console looks great when new and clean but it shows finger prints so easily and I'm sure will get covered micro scratches i think wrapping it is the right choice. The seats are very very soft, definitely not sports seats. Not that i feel like your going to fall out of them but they are not optimised for track days, that's for sure.

grant_west 10-13-2019 11:58 PM

Nice job on the wrap: did you do a b-4 & After photos of the Mirrors

ralph 10-14-2019 9:41 AM

Cheers G, No I didn't take any photos of the white mirrors but they are stock so plenty of photos of them around. The look has really grown on me so I have done both now. I've also wrapped the rear valence which nobody would notice but I really like how it ties everything together. I need to stop now I think before I completely rice it out. I've ordered some mini mud guard things, that might be the last wrapping on the outside.

grant_west 10-14-2019 12:51 PM

The carbon wrap looks good what did you use ?

ralph 10-14-2019 1:34 PM

Just a no-name 4D black carbon I bought locally. If you were serious about it you would use 3M 1080 or Avery.

ralph 10-14-2019 1:56 PM

I had a go at amateur paint correction and a SI2 coating on the bonnet last night. Wow, looks like liquid glass now.

ralph 11-13-2019 7:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Added some mud flaps, carbon wrapped of course

ralph 11-13-2019 7:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the charger at work where i have 3 phase power. 85% running cost saving over the Audi.

ralph 11-13-2019 7:40 PM

Oh and received an over the air update which pushed it up to 500hp tonight. 0-60 down to 3.0 seconds now.

wombat2wombat 11-14-2019 6:32 AM

"It was just over a month ago that we reported on a Tesla accident in Austria that resulted in firefighters needing to use a special container to transport the remains of the vehicle and the battery at the scene of the accident.

Now, the owner of the vehicle is having trouble finding someone who will properly recycle his wrecked car and its battery. It's been sitting in one place since the accident and Tyrol reports that "nobody wants to burn their fingers to dispose of the car with its unpredictable 600kg lithium ion battery".

The owner, Dominik Freymuth, says he feels "abandoned by the manufacturer". Every morning he passes by the wreckage of his old vehicle, a stark reminder of being pulled out of his burning vehicle before it was charred to the ground, he says.

To try and get the car taken care of after the wreck, he reached out to Tesla's Austrian disposal partner ÖCAR Autoverwertungs. Tesla's website says "ÖCAR Automobile Recycling has a large network of authorized recycling and disposal partners fully licensed by the Department of the Environment."

But ÖCAR reportedly has "no permission" to take over Tesla models, according to a spokeswoman for the company. She stated: "I can not give you any information because we have no authorization for Tesla."

Many disposal companies don't want to deal with the Tesla batter, because its a "fire hazard" and because you "do not remember where the battery starts and where it stops" - especially after a wreck.

Martin Klingler, waste disposal expert at the Schwaz environmental company DAKA, said (translated):

"Such a large lithium battery can not be taken over by his company, since one does not even know the mix of dangerous substances inside them. The electric vehicle manufacturers kept the composition of their elixirs top secret so as not to lose their competitive edge. The liquid in which the accident car was cooled by the Walchsee is a dangerously poisonous brew, but now a coveted drop. The Montanuniversität Leoben has already secured samples of it in order to discover the secret of its content."

Roland Pomberger, chair for a waste utilization technology in Leoben, when asked on how to deal with a Tesla battery, simply said: "I don't know."

He continued: "That falls into the producer responsibility, and the Walchsee Tesla show that the manufacturer has probably not thought too much about it. Here one has failed to think from cradle to stretcher."

And the fiasco has Freymuth rethinking ever buying a Tesla again: "I will not buy any more, now that I know the time bomb I am sitting on," he said.

Recall, Freymuth lost control of his Tesla and crashed into a tree, after first hitting a guardrail. It was then that the vehicle caught fire.

People passing by the scene of the accident took the man out of the vehicle and called emergency services, we reported last month.

In order to put out the fire, the street had to be closed and fire authorities had to bring in a container user to cool the vehicle. The container held 11,000 liters (11 tons) of water and was designed to eliminate the risk of the battery catching fire.

We noted in October that some 11,000 liters of water are needed to finally extinguish a burning Tesla but an average fire engine only carries around 2,000 liters of water.

Fire brigade spokesman Peter Hölzl was worried after the accident that the car could still catch fire for up to three days after the initial fire.

At this point, we can't even say that we're surprised that Tesla's "disposal partner" in Austria doesn't have the licenses or the desire to handle Tesla vehicles. We just hope that the EPA and other environmentalist do-gooders will take an interest in just how "green" the disposal of Tesla's batteries winds up being. But we're sure they won't."

Hey, maybe we can start burying Teslas at the bottom of the ocean, like nuclear waste!

ralph 11-14-2019 9:50 AM

Eh, who cares. I've got insurance and I didn't buy the car for environmental reasons.

wombat2wombat 11-14-2019 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralph (Post 1993295)
Eh, who cares. I've got insurance and I didn't buy the car for environmental reasons.

It wasn't directed towards you. But since you mentioned insurance, insurance paid him but no one will take the car & he's stuck with it.