WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Any Sanger owners in Bakersfield, CA??? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797179)

samsonite 03-06-2013 2:34 AM

Any Sanger owners in Bakersfield, CA???

It's my first post and I'm already asking for help.... needy, I know.

I'm in an interesting position and was hoping that someone would be able to help me out and make this a little easier on me.

I found what looks to be a great V215 for sale in Bakersfield, CA. However, I live in Houston, TX. Sangers seem to be very rare in these parts and all of the other reputable brands are either out of my price range or just not available. My buddy from Cali owns a 1990 d-drive Sanger and it is still in great shape, and I've read lots of good things about them on this site, so they must be outstanding boats for the money.

It's going to cost me at least $1K to drive out there and back to verify that the boat is in the condition the owner says it's in and take her for a little test drive. I've grown up around boats, but this will be my first purchase. I'm extremely excited about this boat, but I want to make sure I don't make any rookie mistakes.

If anyone is in that area and would be kind enough to swing by the owner's storage location and just take a quick look at the boat, I would be forever indebted to you. To sweeten the deal, I will throw in a case of Shiner beer (if unfamiliar, it's a local Texas beer that is truly amazing) and you will have unlimited boat privileges if you ever make your way to Houston.

If you have made it this far in this post, I appreciate you taking the time to read my cry for help and if you can help in any way, it would be greatly appreciated.

ralph 03-06-2013 3:07 AM

The v215 is a great boat, good luck!

blastmaster 03-06-2013 12:36 PM

Check with Semper Marine and see if they might inspect it for you. They are in Madera Ca and an amazing Sanger dealer. Possibly the original dealer selling the boat so they may have service records. Likely about an hour away and certainly qualified. Cheaper than driving out or aplane ticket if it is a POS. Likely it is NOT, as Bekersfield is in the middle of the valley and there are not too many lakes close. My guess would be very low hours....
If I were going that way or closer I would offer, too bad this was not posted last week I just went through there.

samsonite 03-06-2013 5:18 PM

Thanks for the info, Rick. I'll definitely give them a call.

The boat does have relatively low hours and looks to be in great shape. I was a little hesitant at first because a boat shop owner in Houston said to steer clear of Sangers because he has seen a few come through with rotten wood, but he is literally the only person I have ever heard that from. I can't find anyone else having issues. He recommended Malibu or Supra... But he isn't paying the bills.

bbr 03-06-2013 6:17 PM

I'm not a Sanger owner, but do live in Bakersfield and might be able to check out the boat for you. There is a local boat shop in town that could also do an inspection for you I'm sure. I know the shop manager there. Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

The 215 is a great boat by the way. We have a Malibu, but being in Bakersfield, there are quite a few around. Solid boat all the way around, and have the ability to throw a meaty wake too.

Brandon

Kingsriver 03-06-2013 9:12 PM

X2 on Semper and I am driving through Bako on Thursday and Friday. I own a 237LTZ I bought from Semper. 215 is a great boat. 559 285-2638 after 7am west coast time. Would be happy to help spend your money and look at the boat.

samsonite 03-07-2013 5:53 AM

Thanks for the good feedback fellas. I'll give Semper a call and see how much they would charge to go take a look at it.

vette74 03-07-2013 9:23 AM

Ha, 3 years ago I bought my sanger from someone in Bakersfield and brought it back to Houston. I took a flight there, checked it out. Gave him a casher's check and had a shipping company pick it up next week from the driveway and delivered it to my house. They charged me $1300 FYI. Good luck they are nice boats.

samsonite 03-07-2013 9:50 AM

I thought about having it shipped, but I could do it myself for about $500 less and use the trip as an excuse to hang out with a buddy that moved to LA... hell, maybe I'll find some pretty blondes to bring back to Texas with me!

haha still have the Sanger? If this boat works out for me, I'd like to find more Sanger owners in this area to meet up with. Seems like there are quite a few Sanger gatherings on the West Coast, but nothing but Malibus, Mastercrafts, and Supras out here.

86skier 03-07-2013 11:38 AM

Samsonite, you have mentioned all of my favorite things in this post, Blondes, Sanger Boats and Shiner Bock! Good luck with your Sanger.

vette74 03-07-2013 12:13 PM

Yes I still have it we ride the San Bernard

samsonite 03-07-2013 1:24 PM

I hear ya, Craig... I'm hoping to add Sanger boats to my list, as well. Out of those 3 though, it will be tough for the Sanger to sit anywhere but the #3 spot. We'll see once I drive her.

Jason, where is that? I've only boarded up at my boss' lake house on Livingston and with my Sanger buddy up on Conroe. I've heard really good things about the Trinity river though.

vette74 03-07-2013 2:37 PM

The San Bernard is in Brazoria South of Pearland. Where do you live? The Trinity is probably the nicest water in Texas. Conroe probably the worst unless you hit the water at 6am. For the local scene visit www.gcwa.com or gcwa on facebook.

blastmaster 03-07-2013 2:49 PM

Craig:
I am on my third Sanger. If you are comming out, call Scott Pellaton @ Sanger factory and ask for a tour on your way home. It is only maybe 1.5 hours from Bakersfield. That boat is likely on a SBT, V&M or Zeiman Trailer and all 3 mfgs are close and have amazing customer service if the trailer needs service before a 2K road trip. Ck the tires for sure for date and sun cracks...While you are here, the weather is great and you should ride. If you come through Sacramento 3 hours north, hit me up & we will take your boat on the beautiful CA Delta for an afternoon of epic water. There are probably 30 lakes to choose from also. The guy in Texas telling you they are wood is old school and does not have any hands on knowledge ro experience with Sanger or todays technology,so proceed cautiously with his advise would be my thought. If that boat does not work out, check the Sacramento, Stockton & San Francisco Craigslist as there are some great buys available right now. I would be willing to inspect and or hold your boat securely until you can arrange shipping if you want to fly in & inspect a potential purchase. I absolutly will take you up on a ride in Tx some day. I would not plunk down my $$ without seeing first hand and test driving but I am super conservative. Best wishes.
Rick

SCA 03-07-2013 8:35 PM

I would stay clear of any mechanic who says he has seen rotten wood in a Sanger.. Maybe in a very old one that has sat outside for 30 years. Other than that scenario (which I still may doubt), I call B.S. You will love the V215, cant say enough good things about it.

samsonite 03-08-2013 10:27 AM

Thanks for all of the positive advice and helpful offers so far gentlemen.

Jason - I live downtown right now, but will be moving to the Spring area before the end of the month. I'm definitely going to give the Trinity a try. You're spot on about Conroe... we got there at sunrise and it was pure butter until around 9/10AM. After that we called it a day and headed to the dam to enjoy some adult beverages with young ladies in bikinis... not the worst day I've ever had.

Rick - Thanks for the offer and advice. The trailer is supposed to have new tires, but I'll definitely check them out before heading back to Texas. I will only have Sunday for boating activities so I won't be able to make it up to Sacramento on this trip. But one of my good buddies' Dad lives in San Jose and we are thinking of taking another trip out there this year, so I will definitely hit you up if that becomes a reality. My offer for a ride still stands to anyone who heads this way... it will be nice to meet other Sanger enthusiasts.

Craig - The mechanic used to work for Malibu for multiple years so I'm sure his brand loyalty runs deep and I'm taking what he says with a grain of salt. He said he's had to replace stringers in some Sangers for a ski and wakeboard school in Houston. I'm sure those boats weren't exactly babied... my guess is they were rode hard and put up wet. At this point, I'm willing to trade the potential future cost of replacing them in order to get a more solid boat with a much smoother ride.

By the way, Semper said that I would have to have to boat delivered to them to inspect it for me so that probably isn't an option. The owner is out of town right now so I wouldn't be able to set up a meet with anyone from here either, at least for now.

vette74 03-08-2013 11:08 AM

Don't forget Sanger has a lifetime warranty on there stringers so it really doesn't matter. GCWA is having an event April 13 on the Trinity if you are interested. Also, don't forget to check your berrings on the trailer and bring an extra hub and berrings with you on the way back. One of mine went out somewhere in New Mexico.

saberworks 03-08-2013 11:52 AM

Does that lifetime warranty apply to 2nd/3rd/etc. owners? I thought it was original owner only.

bftskir 03-08-2013 2:47 PM

tow it to the factory and they'll fix it

ss1234 05-21-2013 2:51 PM

96 DLX here. Bought in 2000, low hours good shape, well kept. I babied it, and it always slept inside. Family boat, used 40-ish hours/ year tops. Port side stringer rotted....have seen it live. '96...I get it, it's an old boat, however, don't believe the folks that say the sanger wood won't rot....I have proof it does. As for the warranty, I bought into the "lifetime" warranty on the hull as well. Great theory, however it only applies to the original owner. Before I discovered the rot, I was one of Sanger's biggest fans.....essentially no other "manufacturing" issues with the boat in all that time. Now....I would not suggest a Sanger to anyone.

rallyart 05-21-2013 8:10 PM

steve the 'non rotting wood' they use have used for quite a few years now was not the wood they used in '96.

samsonite 05-22-2013 6:47 AM

Too late, Steve. I already took the plunge so to speak.

Only time will tell if I am going to have to deal with rotten stringers, but so far, I'm extremely pleased with my Sanger. I have little experience with inboards so I don't have much to compare it to as far as wakeboats go (other than sitting in brand new Bu's and Nautiques on the showroom floor), but I will say that she handles the chop very well. Unless the driver hits a cross-wake at exactly 90°, you'll barely know that there was even a wake there.

Either way, I think it will be a great boat for me to learn on until I can afford to go new. And even then, judging by the looks of the new Sangers, they will be the first manufacturer that I check out. It's just too cool to be apart of SangerNation!

boardman74 05-22-2013 6:53 AM

Does Sanger still use wood in their boats? I thought most of the companies went to all composite in the early to mid 2000's?

lifetimewarranty 05-22-2013 7:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1823687)
Does Sanger still use wood in their boats? I thought most of the companies went to all composite in the early to mid 2000's?

AFAIK yes.

polarbill 05-22-2013 8:06 AM

didn't they stick with wood up until the late 2000's and at that point they made it an option? Are those XTz models or whatever they are called with the one piece liner still wood?

ss1234 05-22-2013 12:59 PM

Nick-
Congrats on the purchase. As I said, before the stringer issue, I would be at the front of the pro-sanger parade. As you mentioned only time will tell....until that time enjoy the heck out of the boat. Awesome sport....you will have loads of fun.

jetskiprosx 05-22-2013 2:03 PM

You can get wood or composite stringers now days

Sent from my GSIII

samsonite 05-23-2013 10:51 AM

Thanks, Steve. We have already enjoyed the boat a ton and summer hasn't even technically started.