WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Wakesurf board size for beginner (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808524)

Caleb_Sankey 03-21-2018 12:11 PM

Wakesurf board size for beginner

I am looking into getting a wakesurf board.
What size and style do you think I should get?
I am about 5' 11" and 165-170 lbs.
I have never ridden a wakesurf board, only a wakeboard.
Would a skim board work?

Chaos 03-21-2018 2:26 PM

Skim or surf would work. You are right in the meat and potatoes size for most boards on the market.
Skims look at 52"-54".
Surfs look at 4'4" to 4'6"... (same yet different).

Since your a beginner best to error on the larger side.

Nick

Mike88 03-21-2018 2:46 PM

4’4 surfstyle seems a bit little for somebody who never surfed. I would look 4,6 - 4,7 if you want a surfstyle board, a bit easier to learn and forgive a bit more.

granddaddy53 03-27-2018 7:33 AM

If I would have had my 4 8” happy pill from the beginning (except I wouldn’t have known to ride it as a twin instead of a quad), I would have been a better surfer from the beginning, learned on broadcast like many others, but I would have gladly bypassed that except for the early 360 success I now struggle with in surf
I’ve moved on from the pill, and gone to 53” surf as a twin and everybody riding it loves it if they are already surfing. Newbies need that easy forward recovery lean a big Board gives them without dunking the nose. Ferrari brakes Volkswagen gas, so I find they need to be encouraged to forward lean to stop losing the wave . The bigger board allows them to pull off that forward tactic more easily

denverd1 03-27-2018 10:59 AM

skim should not be your first board

infinitysurf 03-27-2018 4:04 PM

Caleb...I have a 2017 Doomswell Neo that is in flawless condition that I plan to sell this Spring/Summer, just have not gotten around to listing it yet since I have been getting the boat ready to go. Its a 4' 8" board that would be perfect for a beginner for all the reasons stated above. Stable, bouyant and easy to recover from back of wave, has quad fin setup and beautiful colors (blue/black/white). Once you get good, you can go down in size but it helps a ton to have a slightly bigger board at first since it will recover so much better and washing out of the wave when you are learning to go rope-less is gonna be your biggest issue with a smaller board, I know it was for me...I started on a 4' 6" and immediately did better when I got on this 4' 8" Doomswell (check it out online). I learned quick on that board cause its so forgiving and bought a custom Soulcraft toward end of last summer. Its too nice a board to make it a "boat board" so figured I will sell it to someone who will love it as much as I did (Soulcraft I bought is the same shape....Jordie Pro). PM me if interested, I live in NC

inland_surfer 03-29-2018 7:17 PM

Inland Surfer Tako

Smoothie 03-30-2018 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitysurf (Post 1977324)
Caleb...I have a 2017 Doomswell Neo that is in flawless condition that I plan to sell this Spring/Summer, just have not gotten around to listing it yet since I have been getting the boat ready to go. Its a 4' 8" board that would be perfect for a beginner for all the reasons stated above. Stable, bouyant and easy to recover from back of wave, has quad fin setup and beautiful colors (blue/black/white). Once you get good, you can go down in size but it helps a ton to have a slightly bigger board at first since it will recover so much better and washing out of the wave when you are learning to go rope-less is gonna be your biggest issue with a smaller board, I know it was for me...I started on a 4' 6" and immediately did better when I got on this 4' 8" Doomswell (check it out online). I learned quick on that board cause its so forgiving and bought a custom Soulcraft toward end of last summer. Its too nice a board to make it a "boat board" so figured I will sell it to someone who will love it as much as I did (Soulcraft I bought is the same shape....Jordie Pro). PM me if interested, I live in NC

Sent pm a few days ago

infinitysurf 03-30-2018 6:27 AM

Weird, I did not get a PM....and it wont allow me to send you one for some reason. Send me a text 828 two nine one, 5 two 4 five