WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   2020 Supra SA 550 Wakesurf Review (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809250)

ragboy 12-19-2019 1:58 AM

2020 Supra SA 550 Wakesurf Review
 
So I did a review on the 550 and went deeper than I normally do. I couldn't help but think about wakeworld. In the video I discuss 5 years of history and go back to the beginning of surf systems and talk about some of opinions of myself and those in the "hard core wakesurf community". Which for the most part, I meant conversations and arguments had on here. Back in the day when wakesurf engineering was done by all of us that loved the sport. So I guess the video for me is about me feeling like I can give up on that, since manufacturers are doing such a great job, well, many of them.

Let me know what you think. ;-)

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v354yYxynns" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Entersandman 12-23-2019 10:44 AM

Thanks for the review and history lesson Ragboy. Your videos have been helpful in my family choosing our next boat a leftover 2019 SL 400. Its been cool to watch the Supra line grow and change over the last few years.

Fixable 12-31-2019 1:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ragboy- So, me and my buddy have the boats in the pictures below. A 2020 SE550, and a 2020 XStar. Both are stock with the exception of 250lbs of lead under port coffin seat to offset prop rotation. Both boats running stock settings for the steeper type wave.

As you can see, one is in a whole different league than the other. I was thinking you had one of the new SE's at one point? Any suggestions you could offer? We have tried it with Autowake, and without. It has also gone to the dealer a couple times to verify everything is operating perfect.

pics are of same rider, same lake, same day. I have more, but figured this was the best reference. IIRC, there was only 4 of us playing that day. Wave is much smaller, much shorter, and a lot less firm. I'm thinking there must be some little things we can do to get the wave up to the level of the Star?

Entersandman 12-31-2019 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1994204)
Ragboy- So, me and my buddy have the boats in the pictures below. A 2020 SE550, and a 2020 XStar. Both are stock with the exception of 250lbs of lead under port coffin seat to offset prop rotation. Both boats running stock settings for the steeper type wave.

As you can see, one is in a whole different league than the other. I was thinking you had one of the new SE's at one point? Any suggestions you could offer? We have tried it with Autowake, and without. It has also gone to the dealer a couple times to verify everything is operating perfect.

pics are of same rider, same lake, same day. I have more, but figured this was the best reference. IIRC, there was only 4 of us playing that day. Wave is much smaller, much shorter, and a lot less firm. I'm thinking there must be some little things we can do to get the wave up to the level of the Star?


Ragboy (aka Wake9) has a few videos on setting up the SE 550. Here is one where he explains an adjustment to better setting it up. Go through his vids and you should see how he has his SE 550 setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrfX6e_lxpk

wombat2wombat 01-02-2020 1:53 AM

Hows the wave on the SA 400? Have my eye on one. Have my eye on a nice 550 but it's too dang far away

83Starsnstripes 01-03-2020 5:48 AM

New 2020 SA is really nice. Basically a smaller version of the SE.

Judging by that SE wave pic looks like you don't have it set up correctly. If you didn't calibrate the Autowake it can definitely make the wave not so great. Also, we've noticed less Surf Swell Plate the better and more rear weight or more "pitch" the better, especially if you are looking for a steep wave. I'm guessing that picture was just in a turn randomly but turning while surfing will also ruin your wave on these new boats.
That SE wave is amazing.

downfortheride 01-05-2020 5:29 PM

As you can see, one is in a whole different league than the other
Drive that SE straight :rolleyes:

Fixable 01-06-2020 3:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by downfortheride (Post 1994247)
As you can see, one is in a whole different league than the other
Drive that SE straight :rolleyes:

Apologies, that was shortly after the pull up. We were going straight at that moment, but had only straightened up a few moments before.

I mean, its not like we don't know that we have to be going straight.....

But here is a pic after a long period of time going perfectly straight. As you can see, it is the same result.

Thank you for the other input. We have tried some of the things mentioned, but there were some other things in the vids that we can try. The wave definitely gets bigger/better with a large crew, but that is not a common occurrence for weeknight surfs.

83Starsnstripes 01-06-2020 6:20 AM

Do you know what the plate settings are? Did you calibrate your Autowake before starting out?

Fixable 01-06-2020 7:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83Starsnstripes (Post 1994252)
Do you know what the plate settings are? Did you calibrate your Autowake before starting out?

Autowake calibration was done a couple times by the owner, with the dealer, because he wanted to make sure it was done right. Does he need to recalibrate every time he uses it? I donít think a calibration was done that day.

Plate settings were the stock settings. We tried it with the center plate all the way up, which helps a bit with the push/feel of the wave, but makes it dirtier. We didnít mess with the surf tab settings except to switch between the factory wave types. I donít remember what the stock deployment values were for the surf tabs.

Also of note- the goofy wave is much better. Maybe not setting the world on fire, but itís at least 50% better than the port wave.

83Starsnstripes 01-06-2020 8:21 AM

You might want to calibrate the Autowake or at least make sure all the ballast is 100% full.

The center plate should be around 25% or less. And the opposite plate will vary depending on what you want but typically 45% for a port side wave and 65% for a starboard side wave. Hope that helps!

Fixable 01-06-2020 9:08 AM

Thanks, 83sns. We will give that a shot this spring.

ragboy 01-29-2020 3:22 AM

Sorry guys, I got in an ATV accident on NYE and I cracked a couple of ribs and I didn't see these questions. I will pay attention, is there some unanswered question about this? Glad to help.

DatTexasBoy 04-10-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1994258)
Thanks, 83sns. We will give that a shot this spring.

To me it looks like the boat is almost listed the opposite direction on the SE. I always used 600-800#'s of lead in my 2019 SE. I would run 100% in all except for non rider side and put it on 90% roughly. I run the center plate around 10-15 max. wave was always super clean.

I can see the XStar has a slight lean to it as well. Looks good.

Fixable 04-14-2020 2:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy (Post 1996644)
To me it looks like the boat is almost listed the opposite direction on the SE. I always used 600-800#'s of lead in my 2019 SE. I would run 100% in all except for non rider side and put it on 90% roughly. I run the center plate around 10-15 max. wave was always super clean.

I can see the XStar has a slight lean to it as well. Looks good.

Sounds good. We will try it with offsetting some ballast. I think he typically runs it level for transfers and such.

The X-Star is listed because of the switchback tank. It always has about a 400lb offset to the surf side with it. If you do a transfer, that offset moves to the other side within a couple seconds.

Ttime41 04-14-2020 8:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1994250)
Apologies, that was shortly after the pull up. We were going straight at that moment, but had only straightened up a few moments before.

I mean, its not like we don't know that we have to be going straight.....

But here is a pic after a long period of time going perfectly straight. As you can see, it is the same result.

Thank you for the other input. We have tried some of the things mentioned, but there were some other things in the vids that we can try. The wave definitely gets bigger/better with a large crew, but that is not a common occurrence for weeknight surfs.

That looks like a wakeplate issue to me. I've never seen an SE wave look like that. Either autowake is screwing things up or the wakeplate is stuck down. Even if you weight it completely evenly, the SE wave should be big and clean.

I would try turning off autowake and experimenting with the center wakeplate. It should never be down more than 20% for surfing, and if you can't notice a change in the wave when pushing it up or down, you more than likely have a blown actuator. The screen will still indicate that it's going up and down even if it's busted.

JCleary 07-26-2021 10:37 AM

My SE550 (2016) was wired incorrectly from the factory. The opposite plate would deploy of what was supposed to. Wave was terrible until that was rectified.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM.