WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   MB Switch (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802929)

dbrendel 08-01-2014 10:37 AM

MB Switch

https://vimeo.com/102338302

boardjnky4 08-01-2014 11:28 AM

why are the two tabs so different? That's odd.

edit: nvmd, the one i'm looking at is the regular trim tab in the center.

jonblarc7 08-01-2014 11:32 AM

I think there are three and you can only see the closest and center one.

polarbill 08-01-2014 11:36 AM

It will be interesting to see how it works since this is really the first deeper V boat to have a surf system.

trayson 08-01-2014 12:30 PM

Looks like they went with the same idea as the Supra Swell...

Supra:
http://www.marine-products.com/blog/...UPRA-SWELL.jpg

MB Sports:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-W...2520Switch.jpg

allzway 08-01-2014 1:26 PM

I hope it is affordable to add to my 2014 F22.

kronoss 08-01-2014 1:31 PM

They need to make these mass produced so we can add them to any boat

wakecumberland 08-01-2014 1:37 PM

Why is it a video about airplanes?

tyler97217 08-01-2014 1:44 PM

It does look the same as the Supra SWELL system. Not sure if there are copyrights or anything, but if it is any consolation, the system should work, cause it does for Supra and MC uses a similar concept....

hunter660 08-01-2014 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trayson (Post 1887190)
Looks like they went with the same idea as the Supra Swell...

The MB designer left MB for Supra if I remember right. He could have already been working on it and MB was just slow to put it into production?

sandm01 08-01-2014 2:09 PM

said designer is now at centurion iirc. wonder if it'll show up there next as a replacement for the switchblade.

timmyb 08-01-2014 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler97217 (Post 1887210)
It does look the same as the Supra SWELL system. Not sure if there are copyrights or anything, but if it is any consolation, the system should work, cause it does for Supra and MC uses a similar concept....

I think there are several companies that have the 3 trim tab approach going, aren't there?

tyler97217 08-01-2014 2:50 PM

The only ones I knew of were Supra, MC and now MB..... Is anyone else doing it?

Cabledog 08-01-2014 3:01 PM

Quick switch from side to side is cool but the surf wake doesn't look that great to me. At least in the short clip. Maybe stock ballast? Hope that's true about the designer being at Fineline. Would like to retro my V226 if it makes its way to that model. Should make my already great wake even better.

BaadLS1 08-01-2014 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler97217 (Post 1887223)
The only ones I knew of were Supra, MC and now MB..... Is anyone else doing it?

Sanger XTZ models have 3 trim tabs.

hatepain 08-03-2014 8:59 AM

And were the first to do it.

shawndoggy 08-03-2014 9:04 AM

except that the sanger "system" doesn't actually work, does it? I mean I've never seen an evenly weighted sanger with someone switching from side to side behind the boat?

Jmorlan 08-03-2014 9:48 AM

I doubt retrofit kits will become readily available from the boat manufacturers.
As I'm sure it would dig into their pockets.
Im betting they would not come close profit wise in selling the retrofit systems for existing boats vs consumers upgrading to surf system equipped models

BaadLS1 08-03-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawndoggy (Post 1887337)
except that the sanger "system" doesn't actually work, does it? I mean I've never seen an evenly weighted sanger with someone switching from side to side behind the boat?

I have no idea, as I too, have been trying to find more information on it. I haven't seen anyone post their experience with any of the XTZ models, with the exception of the 237, but nothing specifically on the trim tab use and real world benefits.

DatTexasBoy 08-03-2014 2:52 PM

I am an MB fan hope to see a better video though. Never got really clean, but I'm sure it will work seing as its very similar to the Swell and I know it works.

timmyb 08-04-2014 11:10 AM

I think Epic had a 3 trim tab system as well.

polarbill 08-04-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawndoggy (Post 1887337)

I would be interested in what would happen if sanger owners, or anybody with the 3 tab system for that matter, would bend the last inch or two of the tab to a 45-90 degree angle. They would have to make sure the tab comes up enough to still let the end of it to clear the water when under way but I would think it would have a similar affect as a swell/switch/NSS/mastercraft surf tab system.

shawndoggy 08-04-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1887448)
I would be interested in what would happen if sanger owners, or anybody with the 3 tab system for that matter, would bend the last inch or two of the tab to a 45-90 degree angle. They would have to make sure the tab comes up enough to still let the end of it to clear the water when under way but I would think it would have a similar affect as a swell/switch/NSS/mastercraft surf tab system.

except that what switch and swell also share is much greater throw to the tab... approaching 90* vs the less than 45 that can be accomplished from a transom mounted actuator. I'm sure that additional deployment has to be critical to performance.

polarbill 08-04-2014 12:12 PM

true but if you have a 90 degree bend in the standard trim tab it would end up the same affect other than the surface that is at that 90 degrees would be less than that of swell/switch. Now, the throw might be a problem in that there might not be enough to pull the tab all the way out of the water when under way which is obviously a necessity. I am also not trying to argue that it would work as well as as swell/switch but it may make the normal flat surf tab work better than it does for basically zero $$$$$.

I am interested to see the results of this switch system. This is the first real surf system on a deeper V boat and it will be interesting to see how it works as compared to on a more rounded/flat hull. In the end I think it will be the best of all worlds. You can use the switch if you want to evenly weight for a surfable wake but if you want a "perfect" wave you can list the boat (and maybe use in conjunction with the switch system. Basically the only thing these MBs might be less than awesome at would be ski wake and maybe the low speed clean wake. I am guessing the ski wake isn't a big deal for most buyers in that segment. With this you will get a very nice boat with a great rough water ride, listed surf wake, evenly weighted surf wake and intermediate-pro wakeboard wake. Sounds like a great combo.