WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Concerning v-drive transmission noise (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809415)

Joregon 07-24-2020 7:10 AM

Concerning v-drive transmission noise

I have a 2004 Centurion Elite-v and recently started hearing a noise from the transmission. It only happens when i'm in gear as slow as i can. when I accelerate, it stops and when I put it into neutral, it stops. it sounds as if a gear is hitting against the side of the casing? showed the following video to my mechanic who said that he doesn't know what that sound is. He also couldn't reproduce the noise in his shop so the next alternative is to have him wet test it. the problem is that it's intermittent. I took the boat out last night and drove it hard for about 10 minutes, then putted around for the next 30. only about the last 10 minutes before i was going back to the dock did I start hearing the noise again.

here's a link to a video of the noise. If anyone has any tips on what this could be, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd hate to have to replace my transmission or wait until it damaged my engine too. Note that the boat is in gear for the duration of this video.

Thanks!

Joregon 07-26-2020 1:05 PM

After doing some research, I'm thinking I have a spring on my damper plate going out. Since it just started happening, i'm wondering if it's safe to use or is it in imminent failure mode? How quickly do these fail after you start hearing noise? By the way, I have a walter v-drive.

denverd1 07-27-2020 8:29 AM

ooh. yea, never heard that sound but it doesn't sound good.

TTyler89 07-27-2020 2:55 PM

You’ll have to isolate the noise to either the v-drive, Transmisson, or bell housing. It could be a bad bearing in the v-drive on the verge of locking up. Could be the u-joints in the v-drive. Possibly a damper spring on the flex plate. Or could be in the trans itself. Until you identify exactly where the noise is coming from a video on the net won’t help much as that’s not a very common failure noise.

migs 07-28-2020 12:38 PM

Damper plate

Joregon 07-29-2020 4:54 AM

I emailed Walter who gave me some great feedback and things to try. Ensure the coupling bolts are tight, then drain oil and look for metal. then remove v-drive and disassemble it. My mechanic said there's something wrong somewhere but it may be vibration coming from a bad injector or spark plug. Essentially he's telling me there are cheaper things to try before tearing into the v-drive.

I definitely need to isolate the noise better, however. thanks for the feedback TTyler89.

infinitysurf 08-26-2020 2:32 AM

Get a mechanic stethescope, should allow you to isolate the source of the noise....

jonblarc7 08-26-2020 4:57 AM

Agreed with the above^^^ A mechanical stethoscope will go along ways and they are cheap at the parts store.

Just put the tip on the V-drive then the transmission. You'll here the difference

denverd1 08-26-2020 5:06 AM

can use a screwdriver to do the same thing..^^

Joregon 08-28-2020 10:54 AM

Interesting. I have never heard of a mechanical stethoscope. Looks like they are pretty cheap and would go a long ways towards identifying the source of the sound. Thanks for the suggestion!